Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
San Antonio , Texas
Furnace does not stay on

I have purchased a new 2011 Classic 30 and the furnace blower turns on, and I can hear the flame ignite, but it does not stay on for more than a few seconds. It will keep coming on, but does not stay running. It is under warranty, but if it is an easy fix, it would be much easier to take care of it myself. Access to the heating element does not look very good. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Barry Parkof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Are you on shore power and do you have plenty of propane? Either a low battery or lack of propane could cause the furnace to turn off. Also turn the furnace off at the switch and then restart it after switching to an open and full bottle of propane.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Parkof View Post
I have purchased a new 2011 Classic 30 and the furnace blower turns on, and I can hear the flame ignite, but it does not stay on for more than a few seconds. It will keep coming on, but does not stay running. It is under warranty, but if it is an easy fix, it would be much easier to take care of it myself. Access to the heating element does not look very good. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Barry,

Since you are under warranty, you should have the furnace thoroughly checked at a factory authorized Suburban dealer (I assume it is a Suburban furnace). There could me one of several issues: defective sail switch, defective ECO device, partially plugged LP orifice, defective gas valve and most important, a defective igniter board. I could go on about how to find and diagnose all of these, but if YOU do it you will void your warranty.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
NOAZRK

2004 34' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Kutztown , Pennsylvania
Hi,

For whatever it might be worth, earlier this winter my furnace was doing the same thing. I turned my furnace breaker and switch to off then carefully unpluged and repluged each electrical connection. I finally moved the right one that wasn't making proper contact. Its been working fine since then and it saved a long and expensive trip to the factory. If this doesn't work, check the sail switch next.
NOAZRK2690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
You can actually adjust the "regulator" on the furnace. All it takes is a screwdriver. I had the same problem when I first got mine and went camping with my brother who showed me how to adjust it. It's a simple fix.

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari-Rick View Post
You can actually adjust the "regulator" on the furnace. All it takes is a screwdriver. I had the same problem when I first got mine and went camping with my brother who showed me how to adjust it. It's a simple fix.
Where is the regulator and what does it look like? Any photos?
Old 01-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
First, I would check all the electrical connections and make sure they are clean. You can wipe them off with a clean rag or paper towel. WD-40 is a good cleaner and electricity can conduct through it. Since your trailer is pretty new, dirt or carbon build-up on the contacts sounds unlikely, but it is a good place to start. That way you also check for loose contacts at the same time.

Of course, Lew is right. And if you do want to play with it, make sure you don't leave any evidence like scratches from screwdrivers or other tools that will show you tried to fix it.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote