Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Furnace Damage by Poor AS QC

So, I have had my new trailer for a little over a year. I pulled it out of the shed this morning to get ready for a long trip. Since it was cold, I turned on the furnace. After about 6 minutes it sounded like the trailer was going to come apart, also the smell of burning plastic was pretty apparent. SO, I pulled off the external furnace door and I was able to get my fingers into the wheel that forces the air into the ductwork. There was a snapping noise going on. My first time into the guts of the Atwood. I was impressed. Everything is pretty straightforward. I was able to pull the wheel off the motor shaft. What I found was a long metal pin INSIDE the housing that had sheared off about 16 of the plastic fan blades. These fan blades must have been blown into the plenum where they melted, as there were no broken fan blades to be found. I took the broken fan to my AS dealer (Out-of-Doors Mart in Colfax, NC....where I bought my trailer), and they had one in stock, so we swapped. It took about 30 minutes to install the fan and put everything back into working order. I wonder if anyone else has had something like this happen...but the cause was clear. Not doing a good cleanup at JC.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Our 2012 had very good qc and cleanup, much better than has been reported on some earlier models. Was the pin loose inside the furnace or where? And what was the pin? I would like to take a look at ours.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
That burning plastic smell is from the remains of the fan blades. Eventually it will stop smelling like that, though it may take a few cycles to burn off.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Any clue about the original position of the 'long metal pin'?

So many of the many subsystems are installed right out of the shipping container -- and that Jackson Center employee is installing how many other components at that place in line? I'd wonder if the onus is more on Atwood.

That comes from a guy whose Safari had the high capacity Dexters installed as OEM after Henschen shipped a bunch of axles with dry wheel bearings in very late 2004.

It's great that OODM stood behind the mothership.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
The pin was aluminum, around 2 1/2 inches long. I saved it for posterity. My theory is that the fan ingested the pin, the pin broke off about 18 of the blades, the blades flew into the combustion chamber where the plastic melted and vaporized. Yes, OODM took good care of me, which is why I bought the trailer from them in the first place! I'd also note that I've had my trailer for 16 months now, it's got around 6,000 miles on 5-6 separate trips and this is the FIRST issue I've had. Given the complexity and interplay of all the systems and components, I'm more than satisfied. BUT, if this could happen once, it could happen to somebody else, and maybe this post will be helpful.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hmm... A tad over 1/16th" diameter? The pull shank of a pop rivet? That could have been on the factory then. That's a new on on the QC list then. Thanks for bringing this up.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
OODM ?

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #8
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander