Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2006, 08:29 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Furnace Controls

Hi all,
I have been going through our newly aquired '70 overlander, stove, oven, water heater and now furnace. Have everything working except the furnace, which I believe will work. My question is the controls, original surburban model I'm sure, there is a round knob that is connected to an arm that runs between the baffles to the rear after removing the cover.
What is it? Identified the reset and igniter button but not this. The gas line going in also has a inline valve. Is this the gas on/off? It seems to move forward and back rather than turning left or right?
thanks for any information.
James
The Flintstones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:53 AM   #2
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Along those lines, I'm doing the same thing checking the appliances.

Is the furnace work off the thermostat I found on the wall and share it with the A/C.

Or are there two seperate themostats

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:05 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Ours has two thermostats front by the door is for the ac, rear by bath is for the furnace. The one for the ac has two switches on bottom one for fan & cool, and one for auto & and on, like a home thermostat
James
Old 09-20-2006, 01:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipets
Along those lines, I'm doing the same thing checking the appliances.

Is the furnace work off the thermostat I found on the wall and share it with the A/C.

Or are there two seperate themostats
Bob,
Our '76 Overlander has 2 seperate thermostats, the forward controls the a/c and does control the heat strip in the a/c.

The rear thermostat controls the furnace.

abe
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsflint
Hi all,
I have been going through our newly aquired '70 overlander, stove, oven, water heater and now furnace. Have everything working except the furnace, which I believe will work. My question is the controls, original surburban model I'm sure, there is a round knob that is connected to an arm that runs between the baffles to the rear after removing the cover.
What is it? Identified the reset and igniter button but not this. The gas line going in also has a inline valve. Is this the gas on/off? It seems to move forward and back rather than turning left or right?
thanks for any information.
James
Interesting, I just finished that today with my '72 Globetrotter. If it's the same as mine, and I understand you correctly, the knob on the rod that goes between the baffles is the knob that you must depress to light the pilot. After the pilot is lit, make sure you place the cap back on over the pilot access hole before turning on the Thermostat, otherwise the fan will blow the pilot out.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:43 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Thanks for the reply
Then what is the black button on the left below the spark button as you look at the furnace? As I thought that was the one to push to light pilot.
thanks
James
Old 09-20-2006, 02:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
The thermostate on my 71 globetrotter is completely missing. FYRZOWT do you have the P/N for the thermostate and any advise as to where it is wired in?
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 03:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood
The thermostate on my 71 globetrotter is completely missing. FYRZOWT do you have the P/N for the thermostate and any advise as to where it is wired in?
My furnace looks very original (OLD), but my thermostat was replaced with a new one by the P.O., I don't know what was original - Sorry.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsflint
Thanks for the reply
Then what is the black button on the left below the spark button as you look at the furnace? As I thought that was the one to push to light pilot.
thanks
James
James, we may be talking about 2 different models, not sure. Today is the first time I've looked at mine. I'll go out and look, but I don't believe I have a black button.

OK here's what I have. Looking at the furnace with the cover off (Mine is missing), on the left side is the firebox with the see-through cap at the pilot. At the lower - middle of the furnace is a black knob marked "reset". This is the knob that I pushed "IN" to light my pilot. I don't see any other controls from the front side. I do have a in-line gas shut off.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:07 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Yall are awesome!
Held in the "reset" for a minute and the pilot fired right up! The blower doesn't work but thats ok probably need new motor. So far I've got everything on our airstream working, changing window gaskets now, have to replumb the sink next then I think we're ready for our first trip. Headed to Garner State Park, Texas for Thanksgiving. Hope I can get it ready in time.
Thanks again for all the help.
James
Old 09-20-2006, 11:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Good deal, glad it worked for you. This site IS awsome.

Dave
Old 09-21-2006, 01:27 AM   #12
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi jsflint--The furnace blower will not come on unless the thermostat is set to a temp above the inside temp of your A/S. Push it to the highest level on a day when the inside temp is below the highest level on your thermostat, and try it again. If it still doesn't work, remove the thermostat and short the contacts. If the motor comes on, replace the thermostat.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote