Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2015, 11:48 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Berryville , Virginia
furnace burns rich , soot, any adjustments?

Hi,
I have a 25' trade wind with a nt-22 surburban lp furnace. It seems to burn rich and was wondering if there are any adjustments that can be made.I noticed soot on the outside, is this normal? Pilot works good and goes through all the cycles fine. Just did not find anything in the service manual regarding tuning them.
batt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
This happened to me once when I cleaned the unit. The air mixing tube got knocked very slightly out of alignment with the gas jet. It has to be perfectly parallel. The misalignment was very slight, but when I adjusted, it solved the problem.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 03:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
It is common for three things to happen to old Suburban furnaces which make them run rich.

1. Mud daubers have built nests inside the furnace restricting the flow of combustion air, either on the intake or exhaust side. This requires a dismantling of the entire furnace to find the problem and to clean it out.

2. The cast iron burner slots have rusted shut, and the gas/air ratio is then thrown off significantly. Again it requires a full dismantle of the furnace to see if that is the issue. The slots can be cleaned with a hack saw blade.

3. The rubber crossover tube is leaking, cracked open or missing altogether, so the combustion air from the combustion blower wheel is not reaching the burner. This was a major recall issue on all of the Suburban furnaces of the 70's. No recall parts are available now.

I always add this: The furnace is over 40 years old now. There are issues with rusting out of the combustion chamber as well as those mentioned above. Quite frankly it is time to replace it due to aging out. You or your family could find that significant CO poisoning is possible, making you very sick or even dead. I cannot recommend repair of the furnace.

idroba is offline   Reply With Quote