Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2010, 10:22 AM   #1

HB , California
Cool Furnace blows cold and won't shut off

My I turn on the power and gas to my 06 Safari cold air blows from the furnace and I can not turn it off. Also the heater does not work. Propane is full and therm switches appear to be working. Any suggestions on how to fix?
svander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
What brand of furnace???
Look on line for the brand and check out the trouble shoot on it.

Atwood is sensitive on the flame sensor. Sometimes cleaning the plug connection works?
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by svander View Post
My I turn on the power and gas to my 06 Safari cold air blows from the furnace and I can not turn it off. Also the heater does not work. Propane is full and therm switches appear to be working. Any suggestions on how to fix?
Sounds like your igniter board is not functioning properly. That is the component that is responsible for starting the blower, opening the LP gas valve, sending a spark to the igniter and then turning the unit off when the thermostat is satisfied.

When the igniter board is told that the thermostat is satisfied, it closes the LP gas valve, extinguishing the flame and then runs just the blower as a purge and cool-down cycle......usually for about 3 minutes. The blower should then shut off.

If it is your igniter board, then I would replace it with a Dinosaur Fan 50 + board. That will solve your problems.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #4

HB , California
Smile

Thank you,
I replaced the ignitor board on the Atwood 8525. It was about $150 plus shipping and real easy to remove and install. Now we have heat for the cold Thanksgiving weekend.
svander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Before you replace the board loosen the gas connection at the heater until you smell gas and then tighten it down.

I have found that sometimes air gets into the gas line while changing bottles. Since the pilot orifice is very small it will take for ever to purge that air and thus the pilot never lights. Once you have purged the air the pilot should light in 1 or 2 cycles.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:09 PM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Before you replace the board loosen the gas connection at the heater until you smell gas and then tighten it down.

I have found that sometimes air gets into the gas line while changing bottles. Since the pilot orifice is very small it will take for ever to purge that air and thus the pilot never lights. Once you have purged the air the pilot should light in 1 or 2 cycles.
Do you hear the igniter click? If not, purging the air isn't going to help because you have to get that spark. I don't think you have told us whether you have heard the igniter attempt to light the furnice. No spark, no ignite.....

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post

I'm not positive, but very nearly so, that a 2006 trailer is not going to have a pilot light in the furnace.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If there is air in the line the pilot will not light, no matter what ignition source it has. If the pilot did not light the thermocouple, for proof of flame, will not heat up and send a signal to the gas valve. With no signal to the gas valve it will not Click on.

Normal operation should be fan coming on and purging the heater for about 15 to 20 seconds during which time the pilot should have lite and sent a signal to the gas valve. If this happens you should hear the gas valve click on and the heater is lite. Prolonged fan without the click indicates one of several thinks. The pilot did not light, no gas or bad control board, The pilot lite but the thermocouple is bad and not signaling the gas valve.

The easiest thing to check first is to make sure you have gas at the heater. If not all else is a waste of time. Don't let the Worlds Do Gooders tell you you are going to die if you open the gas line long enough to smell gas. Just put your cigarette down before you open the line.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I'm not positive, but very nearly so, that a 2006 trailer is not going to have a pilot light in the furnace.

Ken
Right you are Ken!

I had an '06 and it had a DSI (direct spark ignition) furnace. The board will try the ignition sequence 3 times and will then shut down. You can initiate the sequence again by turning off thermostat and on, and the board will try 3 more times. This should purge out any air in the lines and allow the LP to reach the gas valve and eventually the burner.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
I have a new Suburban NT 30 in my Safari and I found that if I shut down the furnace while the burner was lite I had trouble starting it after that. I now wait until the fan shuts off before I turn the thermostat off. It works every time. Not sure if this helps you...Tim

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:25 PM   #11
x

XXXX , XXXX
It's already Fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by svander View Post
Thank you,
I replaced the ignitor board on the Atwood 8525. It was about $150 plus shipping and real easy to remove and install. Now we have heat for the cold Thanksgiving weekend.
He has already fixed the furnace!
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Guess I should have read the whole thread.....Tim

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:21 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkasten View Post
Guess I should have read the whole thread.....Tim

Whether its fixed or not, I think what you posted was worth knowing.
At least I will remember it.
Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
Cold Furnace!

Quote:
Sounds like your igniter board is not functioning properly. That is the component that is responsible for starting the blower, opening the LP gas valve, sending a spark to the igniter and then turning the unit off when the thermostat is satisfied.

When the igniter board is told that the thermostat is satisfied, it closes the LP gas valve, extinguishing the flame and then runs just the blower as a purge and cool-down cycle......usually for about 3 minutes. The blower should then shut off.

If it is your igniter board, then I would replace it with a Dinosaur Fan 50 + board. That will solve your problems. Lewster
Thanks Lew! I ordered one today. I just replaced the furnace motor (Atwood 3525 III) because it was making so much noise. Sometimes the furnace goes through the cylcle, shuts off the gas, and then keeps running after the cool down. It is happening more often now (twice last night). The AS cooling down below comfortable wakes me up, so I shut it off at the thermostat, wait until the fan quits, then turn it on again. That was ok when it was once every three/four days, but now the frequency is telling me time to get the board replaced!

Philip
PhilipKS is offline   Reply With Quote