Old 01-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Sorry I didn't get back sooner, I just bought a spare regulator and hooked it to a propane tank and ran a line to the furnace. Had the furnace on a bench in the garage propane tank setting just outside the door.

Sounds like you have everything under control.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:59 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Well I have the furnace back in. Wasp screens installed hahah. There was a ton of Oklahoma dirt in it. The furnace runs great. Does what it is suppose to do no black soot. However,I have a oder coming from it that is making our noses burn. Could this be the new gaskets burning off the new smell. Also the fan ran great on the bench before I installed it back and as well before I took it out. It does however squeal loudly on start up then quietens down. Any help with these issues or thoughts would be appreciated.Have a great day .

Old 01-17-2010, 10:05 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegent View Post
Well I have the furnace back in. Wasp screens installed hahah. There was a ton of Oklahoma dirt in it. The furnace runs great. Does what it is suppose to do no black soot. However,I have a oder coming from it that is making our noses burn. Could this be the new gaskets burning off the new smell. Also the fan ran great on the bench before I installed it back and as well before I took it out. It does however squeal loudly on start up then quietens down. Any help with these issues or thoughts would be appreciated.Have a great day .
The bearings in the motor are dry.

You have 2 choices.

1. Remove the furnace again, take the motor apart, lube the bearings, reassemble and reinstall. If that lasts 90 days, you will be doing great.

2. If the rest of the furnace is OK, then replace the motor. Then you can look forward to another 15 to 20 years, of satisfactory operation.

The smell can be coming from whatever cleaning solvents you may have used. Certainly, "NOT" from the gaskets.

Andy
Old 01-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Yea I was thinking that Andy. I was more or less looking for someone to agree with my thinking. I will probably take it out lube the bearings reinstall it and see if the fan might of got pinched to tight against the box when I put it in.. If that does not work I will purchase a new motor. Twenty seven years is a good run on a motor. Although I have one in a table saw that sees more use and is over thirty five years old and still running. I appreciate your answering the post and your input.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegent View Post
Yea I was thinking that Andy. I was more or less looking for someone to agree with my thinking. I will probably take it out lube the bearings reinstall it and see if the fan might of got pinched to tight against the box when I put it in.. If that does not work I will purchase a new motor. Twenty seven years is a good run on a motor. Although I have one in a table saw that sees more use and is over thirty five years old and still running. I appreciate your answering the post and your input.
Huge difference between those motors.

The 120 VAC motor for your saw, is, if you wish, designed for rugged use, and lots of it.

On the other hand, the 12 VDC motor in your furnace, is designed for reasonable service, on a moderate basis.

The huge difference is also the price of saw motors, which are usually less than the furnace motors.

Go figure.

Andy
Old 01-18-2010, 06:52 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Perplexed

I did not use chemicals to clean the furnace out. Elbow grease and anything else I could get in there,to include water,water water. For the life of me I was thinking it might of been that new caskets set I put on it. The smell that is. Any way enough beating gums here. Thanks again Andy for your thoughts and input to the post. Have a great day fellow!!