Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
fairfield , Pennsylvania
furnace 1969 Safari

I have looked at instructions on how to light the furnance it is the original. I still dont get it. I was advised that I should not try to light it due to its age. Can I get some feedback on this I use a small space heater that works just fine, but I would like to use the onboard heater if possible.
russellsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The issue is that an older furnace may have a crack or corrosion in the heat exchanger. The heat exchanger separates the flame from the air flowing over the heat exchanger. If there is a crack or other opening in this part, carbon monoxide can get into the heated air that goes into where you are living.

Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless, and can build up in your blood. It does not come out of your blood cells easily, and if it builds up enough will kill you, period. Not a good way to die.

The heater, if it is original, could have cracked heat exchanger metal in it, and is therefore dangerous to use. You are getting good advice.

Consider replacing the heater with a new one. Your life is not worth trying to use a possibly dangerous heater. You should also have a battery powered carbon monoxide detector permanently installed in your AS as well as a smoke detector for your safety.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote