Old 08-27-2014, 09:40 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Fooey, Fantastic Vent

I like Fan-Tastic Vent's fans, I really do. But after a trip with the extremely sensitive rain sensor, I'm turning an upgrade kit into a downgrade kit! it was fun to watch the robot vent operate when we took delivery, but we didn't realize how 'smart' this vent is. And I guess we got too used to the simple model in the last trailer.

Like many, we use the rear fan to vent the bathroom during a shower, or (ahem) 'other vaporous event.' Yet the slightest moisture from the shower or galley stovetop boiling pot forced a automatic vent closure and fan shutdown. The sensor simply works too well.

The brand new OEM model 3350 has every feature except a remote control: thermostat, rain sensor, reverse switch, power dome lift. The 1250 upgrade kit has only the reverse switch - apart from the obvious power and fan speed. Only snag was the motorized crank knob doesn't transfer (integrated and too short), so I have a couple of standard Atwood cranks on order. The front bedroom fan works fine, and will stay...

Honey, crank up the fan.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:30 AM   #2
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I'm not sure how my issue relates to yours but we also have 2 fantastic fans. One fore and one aft in a 30' Excella Classic. I leave them open overnight to help with ventilation. Often in the middle of the night, with no rain event happening, the aft fan will begin to open / close on it's own. I suspect that it is a very sensitive rain sensor simply detecting moist night air and causing it to close. Then a few minutes later it will open and the cycle continues. It has occurred a few times with the forward fan but more often with the aft one, so often that I usually end up just closing it.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Roger - Could be the rain sensor, or maybe just the thermostat setting causing that sort of behavior.

Our delivery tech said he really wasn't sure if the thermostat worked well either!
Old 08-27-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
In ours the thermostat just operates the fan, the vent stays open when the fan turns off. With ours the rain sensor sometimes does react soon enough and we get a puddle on the floor. I just got two of the fantastic vent covers called ultra breeze, hope they correct the problem.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:12 PM   #5
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Thanks Whizz. I'm not sure and am still fiddling with it from time to time. It's more a curiosity than annoyance at this point. Just makes me scratch my head. At least it closes rather than stays open/

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 08-27-2014, 01:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
I got tired of our Fantastic opening and closing during the night, so I installed an Ultrabreeze cover. End of problem. Now I leave it open while we travel, so the trailer is much cooler when we arrive.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:34 PM   #7
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Alan, is that one of those shields that stick up so the vent can open and remain covered ? I think I've seen a few of them just don't care for the look. But I'm sure they do the job they are made for.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 08-27-2014, 01:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I had one oversensitive rain sensor. The thing opened and closed about 50 times a day until I finally turned it off. Replaced the rain sensor - JOY, problem solved.

P
Old 08-27-2014, 02:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Maxx Air Fan Mate vent cover works superbly for us ...third trailer with the same cover(s). We have moved one of them three times to install on the new AS. We don't worry about rain now and usually leave at least one vent open at night (depending upon how cold the temp is forecast)... right now, both vents are open while in the driveway at home. We had lots of rain and wind last week ... not a drop of water entered the AS.
When ours is turned off, the vent stays in the position where you last left it. I do miss the manual/mechanical over-ride for the opening / closing; it is all now done via switch.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
If it's particularly humid out, our Fantastic Vent's rain sensor will sometime cause the vent to open and close repeatedly during night. When that happens, as long as it's not raining, I close it, then open the vent manually ... this disables the automatic closing & opening feature and that takes care of it. Then in the morning I switch it back to automatic operation.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I had one oversensitive rain sensor. The thing opened and closed about 50 times a day until I finally turned it off. Replaced the rain sensor - JOY, problem solved.

P
Old 08-27-2014, 03:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
This was my fix for an overly sensitive rain sensor. Was up there cleaning the dome anyway. Ran my index finger across my greasy nose. Smeared my finger across the sensor. It's been 4 months and still no problems. Oh, it did close once... when it rained.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Thanks for the other sensor fixing ideas. But I still proceeded with the less features replacement panel solution. Took a bit longer than expected, but a few searches here on the Forums turned up the right wiring advice. Wasn't just plug and go. The vent-must-be-open sensor, and the fan motor direction went on the same directional switch, as opposed to the fancier (removed) model which had a thermostat. And of course I had the leads backwards the first try, and it exhausted outward with the switch set to in!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums