Old 07-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

fan operates, but compressor won't kick on

We have a great 1974 overlander which we've towed each season to a cape may beach site. This year's heat or the winter mouse infestation proved to be too much for our unit. After running it almost continuously for about 6 days, the compressor stopped working during the night.

Some history. I believe it is an Emerson air conditioner. operates with a thermostat. Maybe an after market, but is obviously a similar vintage. After arriving at our campsite, and running this for a few days. I attempted to clean the filters and noticed the one had been chewed by rodents, who had also chewed some of the insulation from what looked like the adjacent roof area. I pulled out the bits of insulation, and tucked back in what was left. Washed what was left of this filter, and the still intact filter. But I never put the filters back in. Then air conditioner was run for almost 6 days straight when the compressor stopped working. All other electrical things still work, and fuses seem in place. The fan continues to operate, but the compressor doesn't turn on. Any ideas?

Old 07-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
There is a start capacitor inside the air conditioner the may be bad or fried. Open up the unit and check the capacitor. It is in a metal box. Mine has fried twice. I put a special heavy duty one in to resolve the issue. If it is fried I will tell you how and where to get a new one.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Going back this weekend with my husband and some tools. If it needs full replacement, we're thinking to do a temporary fix by placing a window unit in kitchen window. Might work till we get this home in mid august where it will be easier to do an extensive job.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Not an emerson. That is what we have on an older as, still being worked on. Might be an armstrong. There are vents with horizontal fins on front and back. Sides have removable filters. I did not check for name or model number before leaving to come home.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Problem was with the honeywell thermostat. My husband took the cover off and noticed that something that looked like points on a car was not connecting. He touched it with the testing tip, and it sprang back where it belong. This is in the area near the coiled spring. We stayed in it for the rest of the long, hot weekend, using the air the whole time without any problem. Turned it off and on, as needed, ran for long periods of time. Don't know why it separated, but it does seem to be working fine now. Perhaps this may help someone else for the high cost of "on site" repair.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-19-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Honeywell Thermostat - Honeywell thermostat and inside of it from 1974 Airstream Overlander Photo Gallery

Here is a picture of the inside of the thermostat.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinsltootsie View Post
Problem was with the honeywell thermostat. My husband took the cover off and noticed that something that looked like points on a car was not connecting. He touched it with the testing tip, and it sprang back where it belong. This is in the area near the coiled spring. We stayed in it for the rest of the long, hot weekend, using the air the whole time without any problem. Turned it off and on, as needed, ran for long periods of time. Don't know why it separated, but it does seem to be working fine now. Perhaps this may help someone else for the high cost of "on site" repair.[IMG][/IMG]
That thermostat can easily be repaired to be as good as new.

Andy
Old 07-20-2010, 08:04 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Thanks, Andy. Any reason to look for a replacement so it doesn't happen again?
Old 07-20-2010, 08:47 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinsltootsie View Post
Thanks, Andy. Any reason to look for a replacement so it doesn't happen again?
No reason to replace it.

Stuff happens.

That leads to two kinds of questions.

Replace? Repair?

Since there are many thousands of that same thermostat still in use, it's quality speaks for itself.

So........., yours has a little bruise. So fix it, or have someone that is familiar with that thermostat, fix it for you.

It's just a matter of know what to tweak.

Andy
Old 06-14-2017, 04:25 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

another airconditioner issue

Well, we have another Airstream, a 68. Bought this one with an R title. Decent shape, but small fire inside had destroyed the plastics on the air conditioner. We are finally getting around to reconditioning it and discovered that the air conditioner still works, and blows cold. Any idea how or what we can use to replace the ceiling vents, controls and filter? The old face plate was completely melted by the fire.

Thanks! I hope this finds you well.

Tags
emerson, air conditioning