Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic
Pecos , New Mexico
Electric Space Heater

I like to use a space heater in the trailer when the temp outside is cold to either supplement the furnace or heat the space entirely - always use the furnace to keep pipes from freezing when the temp is below freezine. After experiencing a few bad space heaters that ended up in the trash, I found the Vornado. I love it. It is an intelligent heater with a thermostat. You set the room temperature and it does the rest. Puts out a vortex of air that evenly keeps the space you are in warm and cozy while varying the amount of air it blows while not feeling like a blast furnace. I have used one for years in my house without wheels and finally got one for the trailer. Thought some of you might appreciate the information, or have some thoughts to pass on.

Pecos Pete
Pecos Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
mr. pecos,

there's a whole thread on this very subject in the last few weeks, from a certain mr. doorgunner, USMC ret.

kevbo
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:19 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic
Pecos , New Mexico
just passin' on iformation - everyone can take it - or leave it
Old 02-01-2007, 05:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Hi Pecos Pete,

After hitting some verry cold weather in 29 Palms and Tucson, I'd say the electric space heater are terrific in keeping us warm through the night..we bought a Honeywell one in Barstow, and it's digital readout was a good guideline in keeping us toasty, but not too warm..we aslo use the Heat-Safe from Sears and that works wonders too!..we tried using our furnace, but why waste the propane, when we've got full electric at the campground sites?
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecos Pete
just passin' on iformation - everyone can take it - or leave it
Thanks Pecos Pete.

I was going to take you to task for not posting a link or a picture. I goggled Vornado and found this really cool fan under their "Vintage" products
Shop with Vornado.com
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
p.s. in the summertime we use the vornado fan..that works great along w/our a/c
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo10
mr. pecos,

there's a whole thread on this very subject in the last few weeks, from a certain mr. doorgunner, USMC ret.
kevbo
Pecos, thanks for posting.
Doorgunner did a great job in comparing various heating types, naturally he couldn't test them all.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:27 AM   #8
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Pecos, thanks for posting.
Doorgunner did a great job in comparing various heating types, naturally he couldn't test them all.
Dave
If each and every member of the forum were to send Doorgunner $1.00 he would then be able to go out and buy each unit for true testing. Of course we would want full documentation, photos, power consumption guidelines, BTU out-puts, Pros and Cons over each unit, wiring diagrams, shiping weight etc.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Vornado Heater

I have had my Vornado heater for more than 10 years. The only concern I have for the heater is that in constant use the electric cord becomes very warm. I only use mine when I am in the trailer.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:53 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
The "Silver Swan" On that Vornado site looks pretty COOL too.
silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:42 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear
Hi Pecos Pete,

After hitting some verry cold weather in 29 Palms and Tucson, I'd say the electric space heater are terrific in keeping us warm through the night..we bought a Honeywell one in Barstow, and it's digital readout was a good guideline in keeping us toasty, but not too warm..we aslo use the Heat-Safe from Sears and that works wonders too!..we tried using our furnace, but why waste the propane, when we've got full electric at the campground sites?
codybear---We do the same in campsites that furnish electric in the price of the site. We do as much heating with electric as possible just running the furnace enough to keep pipes from freezing. When using metered electric we use as more propane and very little electric. We're presently parked 2 months in Az with metered electric. By comparison electric is nearly half again more expensive than propane per BTU. Electric, however is quieter and more convient. I had read this comparison anad didn't believe it until I actually tryed and found it to be true.---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:19 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecos Pete
After experiencing a few bad space heaters that ended up in the trash, I found the Vornado.
I have found that ceramic heaters are loud. I’ve returned a couple of them and purchased wire element heaters instead. Vortex fans, like the Holmes Blizzard are also ridiculously loud. I realize that the ceramics are supposed to be safer, but the wire element heaters seem to have adequate protection these days. Which Vornado did you settle on and is it quiet?
Amsterdamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:58 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic
Pecos , New Mexico
The Vornado we purchased is the DVTH. It is whisper quiet - really. The nice thing about it is that the fan speed will lower when the desired temp setting is reached. Also, the vortex heat keeps the space uniformly warm.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:09 AM   #14
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Thanks, Pecos Pete -

I have been thinking about an electric heater and this one seems to fit the bill. Karma on the way.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote