Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2019, 08:53 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Crosslake , Minnesota
Electric heating

This is our first RV. When heating in cold weather. Can you turn off propane to conserve and just heat with electricity? Tried to with temperatures in the teens. With thermostat set at 60 warmest it reached was 41.
David Fuches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Fuches View Post
This is our first RV. When heating in cold weather. Can you turn off propane to conserve and just heat with electricity? Tried to with temperatures in the teens. With thermostat set at 60 warmest it reached was 41.
Hi David, greetings from central Kentucky and welcome to the forum. You should introduce yourself in the Member Introductions forum.

The heat pump is efficient when the outside temperature is above 25-30F. Below that temp you need gas heat or space heaters. We use space heaters to save on propane and keep the noise down, but don't camp when the temp is below 30 at night, like in central Florida.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:16 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. I am not quite following what you are talking about when you say "electric heat". The only electric heat that most Airstreams have is the heat pump in the air conditioning system. For the most part, the heat pump will only operate when the outside temperature is above 40 degrees. Below that you would need to use the gas furnace.

Let us know more about your situation and Airstream model that you are referring to, and we may be able to help.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:39 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
These are difficult to install in an Airstream due to limited space, but this unit adds onto the existing gas furnace so you can use electric heat down to whatever temperature you like without bothering with space heaters.

I had one installed in our 2014 25EB, but haven’t managed to figure out an easy way to install one in our 30RB.

https://www.rvcomfortsystems.com

Full disclosure, my dad owns the company...
dmcgaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Propane is a fairly cheap way to heat. At my winter site I have to pay for electricity. I run the WH on propane also. Sure, you can heat some with electricity. But when it gets cold you will probably need the propane. I do not see that using electricity instead of propane is conserving much.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:59 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Crosslake , Minnesota
Thank you all for clearing that up. Wasn't sure if there was more than the heat pump as far as electric heat.
David Fuches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 05:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I have this little 1500 watt lasko electric heater that does a great job in our 30 footer down to around 40 degrees or so.

I'll run the heat pumps down to same, around 40.

If it's to go below freezing, I kick on the furnace, as it throws warm air to the underbelly.

I'm deathly askeerd of freezing pipes and such in our airstream

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 05:19 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Holyoke , Massachusetts
Hello David

What some members missed in their responses was that you have a new Classic model and have the Alde heating system that can run on propane or electric for heating and hot water.

Yes, you can use electric for heating but it will take a long time to get up to temperature. I have only used my new Classic once so far and used the electric setting for the Alde. One question I"m seeking the answer to is whether you can use electric and propane together to speed up the heating. I know you can use both to speed up heating of water for showers but I'm not sure about both for heating.

On Veteran's Day weekend I camped and the temperatures were in the teens. I brought an electric space heater with me as a backup and when I noticed how slow the Alde was coming up to temperature I used the space heater too. I'm glad I did!

Good luck with your new 2020 Classic!
hsgsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 08:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsgsports View Post
Hello David

What some members missed in their responses was that you have a new Classic model and have the Alde heating system that can run on propane or electric for heating and hot water.

Yes, didn't know about that newer system. I've seen posts on Alde and knew it was some kind of heating system, didn't know it was electric. Thanks for the clarification.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:26 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You might be able to use one of these as I did. Dometic does not give you a thermostat like the old Coleman units did. I had to use a baseboard heater thermostat to control mine. This is simple unlike a heat pump.

https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-Brisk...1&sr=8-1-fkmr1
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:36 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsgsports View Post
Hello David

Yes, you can use electric for heating but it will take a long time to get up to temperature. I have only used my new Classic once so far and used the electric setting for the Alde. One question I"m seeking the answer to is whether you can use electric and propane together to speed up the heating. I know you can use both to speed up heating of water for showers but I'm not sure about both for heating.

On Veteran's Day weekend I camped and the temperatures were in the teens. I brought an electric space heater with me as a backup and when I noticed how slow the Alde was coming up to temperature I used the space heater too. I'm glad I did!

Good luck with your new 2020 Classic!

Ruh Roh....didn't notice that.....I'll be backing out slowly and to allow the much ado about alde pro's to take over

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 05:54 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Chatham , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. I am not quite following what you are talking about when you say "electric heat". The only electric heat that most Airstreams have is the heat pump in the air conditioning system. For the most part, the heat pump will only operate when the outside temperature is above 40 degrees. Below that you would need to use the gas furnace.

Let us know more about your situation and Airstream model that you are referring to, and we may be able to help.

Brian
I think that what he is really asking is is there a viable alternative to the propane furnace that uses the existing ductwork and is powered by electricity. 120/240 volt?
bigfoot390 is offline   Reply With Quote