Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2012, 09:04 AM   #41
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
Oil filled radiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen&sal View Post
My oil filled radiator is silent. $50. Sal.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Mine too. And it has wheels that let me roll it out of my way.
billb.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We're on our 2nd year using this heater (and the DC 35 vacuum) and it continues to be a great addition for the Airstream. We spend winter months in southern states and the Dyson Hot is still under the dinette pointed toward bedroom. Warm feet but no concerns of burns or fire.

Keeps the heat comfortable, even, and quiet down to mid-thirties in the evening where it needs an occasional boost from the furnace, which we also leave preset. So it's all automatic, work together nicely. I use the Dyson remote control to turn it down at bedtime.

It's not cheap but considering how well it works, the cost of a worn-out furnace replacement, and regular propane refills, it looks like a good deal for the full-timer or snowbird. If your camping was limited to summer, or boondocking, it's probably not worth it.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilby05 View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Mine too. And it has wheels that let me roll it out of my way.
billb.
We had an oil-filled radiator in the trailer for two seasons, it was too hot near it and too cold away from it, and couldn't keep up with low outdoor temps. We don't miss it.

doug k
Old 12-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #44
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I snagged one at this year's black fri sale. I was looking for the compromise, its fan alone feature drew me in . I need cool air to sleep, and in summer I have been using Patton fans to ventilate, but they are noisy and hard to store. Now, heat will keep my GF happy in the winter, and the fan for me in summer.
I got the grey/cobalt blue, lookin' sharp, , ,
Old 12-28-2012, 03:49 PM   #45

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Brandon.....i completely agree!!!!
monah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #46
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
I wouldn't mind spending a few hundred to get rid of the gas heater noise, but I have to ask - is the Dyson really that quiet? I switched out the frig fans to get rid of that noise, I hate to replace one noise with another. We've been looking for a great replacement to heat our Airstream, so any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Bill&Dalene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #47

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Speaking from personal experience....i know the Dyson fans are super quiet (we own three)...and would expect their heater (next on our list) to be equally as quiet. The cordless animal vac is perfect for an Airstream (only have one of those)
monah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It's quiet, like when you breathe out. It has ten speed settings, I usually leave it at 2 or 3. It's under the dinette right now warming my feet and the Airstream. If you set it directly on the hard floor surface it transmits a very slight humming sound to the floor, but the solution is to put a soft rug or something under it.

doug k
Old 12-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We had an oil-filled radiator in the trailer for two seasons, it was too hot near it and too cold away from it, and couldn't keep up with low outdoor temps. We don't miss it.

doug k
Doug

As idroba said, 1,500 watts is 1,500 watts. Both the oil filled heaters and the Dyson heater put out 1,500 watts, so they both will heat the Airstream the same. The oil filled heater may be hot next to the heater because it relies on natural convection to distribute the heat. You could easily remedy this by using a small fan (like the endless breeze fan) to distribute the warm air next to the heater. If you actually did use the endless breeze fan, the combo would heat the Airstream better than the Dyson heater because you would be providing 1,500 watts of heat from the heater plus 36 watts from the fan for a total of 1,536 watts.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Doug

As idroba said, 1,500 watts is 1,500 watts. Both the oil filled heaters and the Dyson heater put out 1,500 watts, so they both will heat the Airstream the same. The oil filled heater may be hot next to the heater because it relies on natural convection to distribute the heat. You could easily remedy this by using a small fan (like the endless breeze fan) to distribute the warm air next to the heater. If you actually did use the endless breeze fan, the combo would heat the Airstream better than the Dyson heater because you would be providing 1,500 watts of heat from the heater plus 36 watts from the fan for a total of 1,536 watts.

Dan
I believe the theory but in practice it doesn't holdup. With many of the cheap heaters and the oil filled ones they run for 5 minutes then off for ten (some are much worse then that) so you are really only getting 500 watts per hour out of that 1500 watts.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Dan, you could rig something up to move the heat, but another reason we got rid of oil filled radiator was temperature control. Same with the little fan heaters. It was never consistent, not even close. Set it at bedtime, and wake up sweating or freezing in the trailer.

If we set the temp at 68 degrees on the Dyson under the dinette, it's 68 degrees at the other end of the trailer all day, all night.

The Airstream furnace is also very consistent in temp control. But not as consistent as the Dyson, nor as even heat, and nowhere near as quiet.

It's a near perfect heater for the Airstream if you have electric hookups and are spending a lot of time there during cool weather.

doug k
Old 12-28-2012, 10:07 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Doug & Waz

I have no basis to disagree with what you both are saying. The engineer in me says we just have to run a test to compare the two heaters.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:33 AM   #53
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We're on our 2nd year using this heater (and the DC 35 vacuum) and it continues to be a great addition for the Airstream. We spend winter months in southern states and the Dyson Hot is still under the dinette pointed toward bedroom. Warm feet but no concerns of burns or fire.

Keeps the heat comfortable, even, and quiet down to mid-thirties in the evening where it needs an occasional boost from the furnace, which we also leave preset. So it's all automatic, work together nicely. I use the Dyson remote control to turn it down at bedtime.

It's not cheap but considering how well it works, the cost of a worn-out furnace replacement, and regular propane refills, it looks like a good deal for the full-timer or snowbird. If your camping was limited to summer, or boondocking, it's probably not worth it.

doug k

Well, I'm taking the word for it and going to go buy one today. Arrived back in Corpus Christi late last night with newly-purchased 1990 Silver Streak and unable to have propane system checked out (holiday schedule at RV dealers, plus my own work schedule). Reefer & water heater will run on electric (don't cook at home at present), so the OEM furnace was the only hold up to use (swap out TT contents from the current '76 otherwise; take the '76 to storage and move the '90 onto the rented lot). I'd rather do the furnace swap myself, and can have an ex-Navy CPO do the propane integrity testing plus a few other things (much to do on a TT this age).

Thanks for updating the thread. I would not have thought of it as being viable (a decent enough electric space heater). The "winter" in CC is all of ten days on average, and I think this will make enough of a difference to offset the logistics problems I was starting to consider this morning (TT service, TT storage, work schedule conflicts, etc). A helluva lot of motions to get only a few things done and I was thinking it might be month or more before I could swap & move in the new one.

Glad now I "borrowed" an empty space in the park last night instead of trying to place the new TT at the storage lot. Even more glad I read this thread! (not to mention specific reading of many, many of the OP's other posts along the way).

So, it will make a great birthday present (being able to move into a much better TT: floorplan, condition, etc). Never underestimate morale I am telling myself (as I justify expense). And a bit of reading luck at AIR.

Thanks, dougk

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Doug & Waz

I have no basis to disagree with what you both are saying. The engineer in me says we just have to run a test to compare the two heaters.

Dan
I agree, a watt is a watt, but there is something unique about that "air multiplier technology" with the Dyson which moves the heat around evenly throughout the trailer and doesn't make it FEEL drafty like a normal fan does.

I have used the Hot down to 38*, with no other heat source on and the 30'er is at 69* back to front, top to bottom and I feel warm.

I have 3 Dyson products now, a home vac, the AS battery vac and the Hot/Cool. I have agonized over each one of them due to cost, but in the end, all of them work sooooo much better than anything else out there, IMO.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #55
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
And I appreciate another vote of confidence. The Brits know a thing or two about engineering despite American derision of the manufactured end product in some cases (deserved).

The DYSON Airblade is the finest hand drier I've used. As a truck driver having clean hands is a relative thing. Other hand air dryers (sp?) are useless, give me paper towels. But at our approved fuel stop in Refugio the Dyson is installed. As I also normally buy breakfast here if en-route this direction into the Eagle Ford, I use it exclusively (over paper towels). Really great!

Am figuring out how to park new TT in drive to enable swap as most neighbors are gone for holiday weekend (thank you, awl bidness). But first a run to B,B&B. Hopefully, with a pair of other heaters I can bring temps to comfort level when home from work. Running the dehumidifier warms the place a bit while I'm gone.

Temps aren't ever so bad here in CC, but the wind extraction of heat is no small concern (for comfort, not for systems freeze). With luck (that it works well) I can more leisurely explore options around propane-fired heating. ALDE and PRECISION TEMP make for tempting alternatives to the ordinary NT-30 or whatche. (My work is: fall out of bed and jump into truck. Work 12-14. Fall out of truck and jump into bed. Repeat over six days, 24-hr on-call. Then two off to do all the support activities of life. A couple of hours on one day to maybe do what I like. "Comfort" at home is vital to rest, so I pay a utility premium and do so happily. Good enough for a back pocket "career". For now).

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Rednax, I think you will like it. For us it's one of those rare products that simply does it's job day-in and day-out and you don't think much about it. You can experiment with it and find the best location, but it seems to do best when it can direct the air from one end of the trailer to the other.

Every trailer is different, wind takes away heat, but you should be good to mid-thirties where you need a boost to keep temps up. Or on trailers with partition doors you could use them for extra warmth, like when taking a shower. I like to set the 10 speed fan setting at 2 or 3, but you may have to move more air in cooler temps. The remote control is handy. Now and then vacuum the dust from the intake screens.

doug k
Old 12-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I agree with Doug. I place mine by the fridge and point it forward, so it is sucking air from the bath and BR. At night I flip it around the other way. I only got mine late last fall and used it in 40s and 30s only, so I kept it on 10 speed for my 30'er. I can see how it would be necessary to turn it down in milder temps.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #58

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Found one here. $299 plus fee shipping.

Dyson Hot + Cool™ Bladeless Heater Fan at HSN.com
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Wink

Thanks for the link, ordered one for the our spring adventure. Greg
justretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #60

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Your welcome! It was the lowest price I could find. eBay was the highest! Let us know how you like it.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote