Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
This heater is a rip off IMO. It is probably about 1,500 watts, but the specs don't even list the heating output. The safest, quietest, most reliable and most even heat are the oil filled heaters. If you find that there are cold areas with the oil filled heaters then you have air leaks that need to be plugged or need more insulation in the walls, ceilings or windows. My second preference would be a small ceramic style heater. Their biggest advantage is that they are small and light and blow hot air where you can feel it. They are typically 1,500 watts also. Both of these heaters are less than $50 as stated earlier.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:00 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
When it gets cold enough to need a heater a heat pump is worthless. They spend more time defrosting etc than they do heating. I have a SEER 16 unit at home and still have $400 utility bills in the winter. When it is in the 30's you are pretty much running on heater strips anyway plus you have the additional expense of defrosting the thing. Maybe if you lived in a very dry climate they would work well but here in Alabama I have seen heat pumps freeze up at 50F because the humidity is 100%. Propane is probably the better deal for heating in this part of the country.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
Using electricity for heating is kind of like burning bird's eye maple wood for heat.... note that an electrically driven heat pump will use 2 or 3 times less electricity to deliver the same number of BTUs into the trailer...

However, since we're not full-timing, a small electric heater is perfect for our Airstream

- Bart
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Perry

I don't think that your heat pump is working properly. I live in VA and my heat pump is only an 11 SEER and my highest electric bill last Jan was $350.

Heat pumps are much preferred over electric resistance heat. The problem that you and most folks have is that the emergency/auxiliary heat is electric. The best system is to get a high SEER heat pump with propane backup heat, not electric.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #24

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Long ago (in about 1990) I was taking an HVAC course in architorture school and working 60 hours/week or so. Since the boring prof really didn't teach much that wasn't in the reading, I dozed off from time to time. He caught me napping once and, being the schmuck he was, tried to trip me up with a question on the reading.

Prof: "Mr. Boyd, which is more efficient, gas heating appliances or electric?"
Me: "Hmm... do you mean total energy cycle efficiency, or just just the appliance itself?"
Prof: "Total efficiency."
Me: "Definitely gas."
Prof: "You should do the reading if you're going to sleep in class Mr. Boyd! Electric heat is highly efficient."
Me: "You should read the entire chapter and include the generation efficiency and transmission losses."

I have wondered which he hated more, me, or giving me an A in the class.

It's much less of a stark comparison when comparing gas heat to a good heat pump, but the lukewarm air from the vents of a forced-air heat pump system isn't very satisfying, and can't hold a candle to waking after hitting the snooze bar and hearing the lovely "whump" of the gas burner firing, about to warm up my living space.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:18 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
That's what I'm looking for Mr. Boyd, a satisfying heat. When I go to bed and set the heater at 65, it will be 65 in the Airstream all night long. I've never experienced that with cheapo box store heaters. Instead they seem to have thermostats that allow large and uncomfortable temperature swings during the night.

Six months of this in a not-so-cheapo Airstream and I'm ready to spring for a better heater. Wonder if the Dyson will do it, or is poor temperature control the nature of portable heaters?

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #26

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
That's what I'm looking for Mr. Boyd, a satisfying heat. When I go to bed and set the heater at 65, it will be 65 in the Airstream all night long. I've never experienced that with cheapo box store heaters. Instead they seem to have thermostats that allow large and uncomfortable temperature swings during the night.

Six months of this in a not-so-cheapo Airstream and I'm ready to spring for a better heater. Wonder if the Dyson will do it, or is poor temperature control the nature of portable heaters?

doug k
Part of the "lumpy" temperature control of small space heaters relates to the fact that the heater output is very near the thermostat, which is a very poor layout when the total size of the heating appliance is a very small fraction of the size of the volume to be heated. It's much better to have a thermostat near the air return (in a forced-air system) or at least as far as possible from any of the heat outlets.

While the Dyson's high-tech controls may help smooth this out somewhat, I'm guessing it still can't compete well with a properly laid-out forced-air system with a remote thermostat.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:18 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The biggest problem with the cheap forced air heaters is that the fan stops running when the heat cycles off so the thermostat does not get an accurate temperature reading.

Perry
Old 11-04-2011, 06:21 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
A ground source heat pump is the way to go for a fixed installation. This eliminates all the efficiency problems with heat pumps due to air temperature fluctuations’.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Perry

I don't think that your heat pump is working properly. I live in VA and my heat pump is only an 11 SEER and my highest electric bill last Jan was $350.

Heat pumps are much preferred over electric resistance heat. The problem that you and most folks have is that the emergency/auxiliary heat is electric. The best system is to get a high SEER heat pump with propane backup heat, not electric.

Dan
Old 11-04-2011, 07:30 AM   #29
Berberman

2008 684 International
Harrogate , North Yorkshire
I fulltime in the U. K. & Europe and have spent three months travelling in the Atlas Mountains of Morroco ( North Africa )
I am now preparing my Airstream 684 European International Travel Trailer for my annual trip to Bourg St Maurice. (France) Campsite situated at 850 mtrs. I will arrive end of December to Ski the "Les Arcs" area for the season departing end of next April.
Airstreams Int. arrive from U. S. A. as a shell and are fitted out to European specifications in Cumbria England.
The heating we have is the Alde 3010. From Sweden. A fully programmable wet central heating system with radiators which are fitted all the way round the shell of the trailer. This system also provides the hot water to the kitchen and washroom and is powered by gas or electrics. On campsites electrics most of the time is included in the nightly rate.
In B. S. M. I have seen the temp drop below - 25 and that is cold!!
My heating does not get turned off till the day I depart for my 1,000 mile journey back to North Yorkshire in the Spring and it WORKS.

Thank you Alde
Berberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #30
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Alde,

Sounds like a nice heating unit. Can you share with us what your investment to install that system was?
Old 11-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #31
Berberman

2008 684 International
Harrogate , North Yorkshire
Hi Aage

The Alde heating system comes as a standed fitting here across the pond.
You will get more info on the Alde website

Berberman
Berberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:19 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Never underestimate genius.

Dyson's heater (white and silver) is a perfect functional and aesthetic match for the Airstream. I put it under the front dinette and monitored the temperature in the rear bedroom. Never varied by a single degree. Exceptionally quiet, gentle heat source. Heater is cool to the touch. The high volume of air is not exceptionally hot.

The thermostat senses the intake air under and away from the heat elements. The heat vents circling the "ring" mixes with and moves additional air from the back of the "ring" providing a gentle heat. A magnetic remote control attaches to the top of the unit.

Brilliant but expensive. Airstreams aren't cheap either. Worth it for the full-timer and snow birder I think if you want even, comfortable electric heat.

doug k
Old 11-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #33
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berberman View Post
Hi Aage

The Alde heating system comes as a standed fitting here across the pond.
You will get more info on the Alde website

Berberman
And when you say "standard fitting" you mean that all Airstreams come with it? How clever of them!

Thanks, Berberman
Old 11-06-2011, 09:37 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum
Never underestimate genius.

Dyson's heater (white and silver) is a perfect functional and aesthetic match for the Airstream. I put it under the front dinette and monitored the temperature in the rear bedroom. Never varied by a single degree. Exceptionally quiet, gentle heat source. Heater is cool to the touch. The high volume of air is not exceptionally hot.

The thermostat senses the intake air under and away from the heat elements. The heat vents circling the "ring" mixes with and moves additional air from the back of the "ring" providing a gentle heat. A magnetic remote control attaches to the top of the unit.

Brilliant but expensive. Airstreams aren't cheap either. Worth it for the full-timer and snow birder I think if you want even, comfortable electric heat.

doug k
Doug,

Does the heater come with a fancy case to stow it away during travel? I would think it should come with a velvet cover and outer hard case to store it with for 400.00.
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
No cover dd'.

A bit surprised here that some folks might spend $70k on an Airstream, $50k on a truck, and be satisfied winter camping with a lousy $15 space heater. Maybe they work for some but the Dyson is a lot more comfortable heater for our 6 month winter trips.

We got $80 off by getting a coupon from Bed, Bath & Beyond web site.

doug
Old 11-06-2011, 04:39 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
I'm getting one after I cover the basic needs like a fridge, water heater, bed etc.....
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:36 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I pulled this thread up because Dyson has these heaters $100 off Black Friday special. Crazy expensive space heater for the Airstream weekender and vacation traveler.

But for the full-timer or snowbird who use shore power this may be the best heat source you will ever have. We put it under the front dinette aimed at the back of the trailer, and set it low speed at a comfortable heat setting. We use the simple remote control. It warms our feet yet is never hot to the touch. It moves a large volume of air gently through the trailer to keep the entire trailer evenly heated and exactly where you set the thermostat. It is at least as good as a central heating system and as quiet. Wonderful even heat through the night.

We have had a variety of ceramic and oil-filled heaters over the years but none come close to the quality of heat this puts out. For the Airstreamer who needs a heat source for extended periods, this is money well spent.

doug k
Old 12-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Corvallis , Oregon
Sounds like an excellent review dkottum. Have you any complaints? I bought my wife a Dyson DC35 Cordless Vacuum (in addition to our DC24 Multi-Floor Ball for the house) for our 27ft International and this heater would be perfect aesthetically as well as functionally.
I have two small cube ceramic space heaters on either end of our AS now. Both can be set at 750 or 1500 watts but I generally run them both on 750. In researching the Dyson Hot and providing the claims are true, I have concluded that it would meet our needs as well as cure the common cold.
Mr. Dyson boasts it projects the warm air much further than my cube heaters would (thumbs up), it pulls in the air through the base constantly monitoring the temp. of the return air and only engaging the heater when the return air is below the temp. set by the user (major thumbs up). Most importantly, the safety features which are in place: auto-shut off if tipped and cool to touch. I honestly get a little freaked out when I think about leaving one of my $15 cube heaters on while away at work.

Did I mention my wife and I full time? Moisture and temperature need to be constantly monitored. I would be much more inclined to purchase this Heater if it were $100 cheaper and if I can hear some more good reviews from people who use it constantly.

Thanks for everyone's contributions to this thread so far. I look forward to reading more specifically about the Dyson Hot!

BrandonJenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
No complaints. We "full time" six months every winter in the southern states with nighttime temps occasionally at freezing. In this environment the Dyson is wonderful, maybe needing a boost from the furnace first thing in the morning when it's near 32 degrees.

We put the Dyson under the dinette pointed towards the bedroom and leave it on all the time, never a worry. It maintains its temp setting. The temp is set at 70, the temp in the bedroom is 70 right now, 42 outside. I'm sitting at the dinette with my feet stretched out on a footstool, and the Dyson is blowing gentle warm air over them at its lowest fan setting. The air from it never feels "hot", in spite of its name. Not hot air, but a large, slow moving volume of warm air.

You can hear it, but it is very quiet, especially at lowest fan speed which is where we set it all the time. The inexpensive space heaters are primitive compared to this Dyson. For the full-timer it makes a quiet and comfortable environment and is worth the money.

doug k
Old 12-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Corvallis , Oregon
Alright.. I did it, I bought one and all I can say is I wish I did it sooner!!! Costco had the Dyson Hot for $259.99! I couldn't pass that up. Until two weeks ago when I bought it I haven't been able to find it under $380.00 so I am very happy.
I did have to get it in white, Costco didn't offer any other colors but it is more than I expected.
The biggest advantage I have had with it is I have it set up as a table top heater in what is currently my north wing, pointed south toward the master bedroom and the whole trailer is comfortable. The airflow stretches clear across our 27ft FB while heating everything in between. The temperature setting on the Dyson Hot matches my thermostat on the opposite side of the Airstream within a degree or two.
Airstream should get together with Dyson and equip all new trailers with my two favorite products: The Dyson Hot and the DC 35 Cordless Vacuum.

If your new to owning an Airstream, make these your next purchases!
BrandonJenna is offline   Reply With Quote