Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2011, 06:59 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Duotherm AC blows hot not cold

My 2006 Safari FbLe has the Duotherm unit with heat pump. Bought it in Oct and used furnace so here we are in Orlando and turned on AC last night for first time. Cool air for about 5 minutes that turns to hot. Reset breaker no difference. Know an AC unit that blows hot not good. So anything I can check do myself? Approx cost to repair? Should take to a place like camping World (Houston) to repair or other dealers, don't know if can find service in Orlando?
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hey Rich,

Your heat pump is stuck in heating mode. All Dometic heat pumps are in the heating mode in the un-energized state. When the thermostat calls for cooling, a reversing valve that is solenoid controlled changes the direction of the flow of the refrigerant and the unit works as an air conditioner. If you run the unit and remove the shroud, you will notice that the outside coil (normally the condenser) is actually cold (is functions as the evaporator in heat pump mode).

The cause of your problem is that the reversing valve solenoid is either 1. not working and needs to be replaced or 2. (worst case) the reversing valve itself is stuck in the heat pump mode and the ENTIRE HEAT PUMP UNIT must be replaced.

An easy test is to check the coil for continuity at the disconnected leads. IIRC, one lead goes into the relay board and the other to a capacitor. No continuity or a reading outside the nominal resistance (I don't recall the ohms value), then it should be replaced and your unit will cool again!

I would NOT let CW touch it, as they will more than likely not have a clue as to the cause that I have just explained. Thee are several good mobile techs in the Orlando area. When you call, tell them that you believe that the reversing valve coil is bad. I would NOT have a service call unless they have the replacement coil in stock. (They are regular stock items on my service truck).
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Thanks Lew for the reply. What costs are we talking about for 1 or 2. $ wise?
If you know a techs I can call in Orlando might be worth a shot.
The PO was from PA and probably barely used the AC on his trips. Least a cool front came in this morning making it not unbearable.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
Thanks Lew for the reply. What costs are we talking about for 1 or 2. $ wise?
If you know a techs I can call in Orlando might be worth a shot.
The PO was from PA and probably barely used the AC on his trips. Least a cool front came in this morning making it not unbearable.
A reversing valve coil should be about $39 plus installation, which is fairly easy and should take about 30-45 minutes on your A/S.

OTOH, a new unit, assuming it's a 13.5K Penguin heat pump runs $1261 plus shipping and installation (Dometic part # 651516.301C0). I would figure at least a couple of hours for an install on an A/S, maybe 3 with that drip pan thing!
Old 04-06-2011, 07:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Well let's hope it's the valve coil. Seems like a 4 yr old trailer with very little use on the AC shouldn't require complete replacement. Tried to run the heat pump last night and it didn't heat very well in that mode. Used the furnace instead.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Your heat pump is stuck in heating mode. All Dometic heat pumps are in the heating mode in the un-energized state. When the thermostat calls for cooling, a reversing valve that is solenoid controlled changes the direction of the flow of the refrigerant and the unit works as an air conditioner.
Lewster is correct.

Another piece of evidence that whoever designed the controls for the Dometic heat pumps spent their whole life inside a skinner box.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Question, is the fan on auto? On mine the thermistat must be set much lower than the required temp to get the thing to work and it still takes several minutes to get continuous cold air. Taking the fan off auto and putting it on high also seems to hasten cool air. I still do not know what the zone indicater on the thermastat means, zonne 1 or? Hot already isn'f it? zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
The zone indicator, I believe for controlling multiple units. You can set zone two and control say a bedroom unit temps.

Anybody know exact model on a 2006 FB25" with heat pump? The spec sheet on the trailer says 11,000 BTU but I thought the standard issue was 13,500?

Leaster, service call in Orlando $90/hr + $90 trip charge . Think will wait and take it to PPI when we get back to Houston or take a shot at troubleshooting the valve. What tool does it take to take off the shroud?

R
Old 04-07-2011, 05:34 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Those prices are pretty standard for FL. Also depends on how good the tech is.

You need a phillips #2 screwdriver to remove the shroud (one screw at each corner) and a 5/16 nut driver for the control box cover. BE SURE THAT THE 120VAC CIRCUIT BREAKER IS OFF!!! You will see the solenoid on top of the reversing valve (next to the compressor) with 2 black wires coming from it. Follow the wires into the control box and disconnect them from the relay board and capacitor (hot at the board and neutral at the capacitor).

Now check the solenoid for continuity. If it is open, you need a new solenoid coil. If it is good, you have a stuck reversing valve. You can try tapping on it lightly to free it, but in my experience, a stuck reversing valve means a new upper A/C unit.

BTW, your model # is located on the base pan of the unit and is visible once you remove the shroud, or it also might be visible if you remove the filter assembly inside the trailer underneath the unit. IIRC, it might be 630516.331.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:41 AM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Lewster is correct.

Another piece of evidence that whoever designed the controls for the Dometic heat pumps spent their whole life inside a skinner box.
Here's Terry's Cheap Shot of the Day:
It's a Swedish air conditioner, made in America, by foreign nationals, with Chinese parts. What could possibly go wrong?
Up until yesterday, I had a couple of those heat pumps laying out back. If they're still there today, I'll take a photo of the solenoid and post it here so you'll know what you're looking for.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Thanks for your help. Tried Zigs idea and set to high fan and cranked down stat, could hear the compressor kick in but after 5 minutes things got hot. Yes a photo would help. Don't have any tools or ladder here but a friend is coming over tonight so may motivate him to bring some stuff. There's a CW nearby may call them and check on part.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Rich, sorry to hear about the A/C Probs. If it turns out that your A/C is shot and you are upgrading to a 13.5K unit, send me a PM. I may be interested in moving up to a 15K unit on our trailer and could make you a good price on my existing unit. Of course, if can convince Lewster to mozy on up to Texas to help us make the swap . . .
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Anyone know why my duotherm trips its c/b after a few hours of heat pump operation?
(a/c mode OK)
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia View Post
Rich, sorry to hear about the A/C Probs. If it turns out that your A/C is shot and you are upgrading to a 13.5K unit, send me a PM. I may be interested in moving up to a 15K unit on our trailer and could make you a good price on my existing unit. Of course, if can convince Lewster to mozy on up to Texas to help us make the swap . . .
Hitting the road around June 1. First stop is ABQ for the Restoration Rally.......unless I need to make a detour.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:33 PM   #15

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
Anyone know why my duotherm trips its c/b after a few hours of heat pump operation?
(a/c mode OK)
Just to be sure, do you see the breaker open or could the HP be going into its defrost function? I know the first time you experience this (usually after some long run times), you wonder what is wrong since the only thing running is the compressor (and not very loud at that). Flipping the breaker can over ride the defrost cycle and restart the heat pump. When running in AC mode you don't have a cycle like that.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:40 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Yes, it trips the breaker. (We're at Babler this month, Jack.).....elwood
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:07 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Thanks Chris for the upgrade offer. Will post the results once I get back to Houston and get her in the shop. Lucky it was a cool night in Orlando last night.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
OK I took the cover off her and removed the side panel two sheet metal screws. See the circuit board and the big capacitor to the right of it. Hot wire is what color and is neutral the black? Not too comfortable climbing on top so am on the ladder from the side. PPL needs exact model number or unit to help me on the part. Still looking for that.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
The data card of the unit will be a sticker on the inside of the unit after you take off the plastic shroud. I can't remember if it's curb side or street side but you can't miss it. Looks like the attached.

Also, if can try to tap the reversing valve too. Sometimes that frees them up too. If it does work be aware it may not be a permeant fix...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-373614279.png
Views:	125
Size:	891.1 KB
ID:	126764  
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
OK I took the cover off her and removed the side panel two sheet metal screws. See the circuit board and the big capacitor to the right of it. Hot wire is what color and is neutral the black? Not too comfortable climbing on top so am on the ladder from the side. PPL needs exact model number or unit to help me on the part. Still looking for that.
You will have a 'standard' electrical cable feeding the 120VAC into the board and capacitors. Ground is green and will be wired to the base ban somewhere. Hot is black and will go directly into the relay board (the K-5 relay) IIRC. The neutral is white and will go into the capacitors.

You can kneel on the roof easily if you take a 2 X 8 or so and put some padding under it, then place it across a couple of rivet lines (roof joists) and you will be very secure and do no damage.

The large capacitor is the run cap. They usually do not go bad. The one you are looking for is the start capacitor, which is the smaller of the two and is usually horizontal just beneath the large cap, and the 'motor starter device' commonly known as a 'PTCR'. There are 2 types that Dometic uses, depending on the year the unit was built.

There might be a small black rectangle attached directly to the start cap. This is where you should pay special attention and look for a singed or burnt PTCR. The other type is remotely located away from the start cap and is shaped like a little barrel. They should show continuity if they are good.

We were also talking about your reversing valve coil. It is either at or very near the compressor. Two black wires coming from it. One goes to the 'board' and the other to the caps. This should show resistance in the neighborhood of 400 ohms, depending on the model.

Your data sticker with the model # should be located on the street side of the unit on the base pan, back near the condenser coil.