Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2011, 11:12 PM   #41
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
Tried the AC at 3 camp locations with 30 amp service and at home last night with 20. Each time there are a few minutes of cool air that after 5 minutes begins to get hot and then hotter. At least once I know I felt the compressor kick in.
Darnit. I was *hoping* my simple "is it plugged in?" suggestion was your answer. Ugh.

Well, we have been using our furnace all winter -- can't wait to try out the A/C when the times comes. I will make sure to bookmark this post because there is a lot of great info on here. Hopefully I won't need it, but you never know . . ..
Old 04-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
So installed the new solenoid part yesterday morning. Took about 30 minutes. Had an old styrofoam boogie board that I used to get on top of the trailer. Good idea as the front curved down around the trailer curve and was soft to work from. Powered her up and COLD air
Thanks to Lew for being spot on with his dianosis.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:28 PM   #43
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Thats COOL!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #44
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
So installed the new solenoid part yesterday morning. Took about 30 minutes. Had an old styrofoam boogie board that I used to get on top of the trailer. Good idea as the front curved down around the trailer curve and was soft to work from. Powered her up and COLD air
Thanks to Lew for being spot on with his dianosis.
Glad it worked out for you!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:10 AM   #45
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
brandon , South Dakota
AC Solenoid

RichHog,

Do you know the part number of the solenoid?, also where did you purchase it from? Seems I have the same problem. Last year I replaced the hard start cap, and everything was fine. Now the first time we tried to use the AC, the heat index was 105 outside, and only God knows what it was inside. Just about killed my 14 year old dog. So we packed up and went home. Only about 70 deg outside in the morning, and the same problem. Blows cold for a few minutes, then kick over to heater mode, and 130 deg air coming out.

Judging from what your (and mine) symptoms are, and what the cure was, I would suggest the Solenoid coil is becomes intermittently open when it warms up.

At any rate, any help as to the part number, as well as where to find it would help.

Thank you

2006 23' Safari (would like to upgrade to a 25')
2004 Chevy 3/4 running a thirsty 6.0
brbarnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:10 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
AC Heating Cooling

So I learned that the default state these AC units work in is Heat Pump mode when it starts up. If your control is set to AC then a Reversing Coil changes the direction of air flow from the heat output to AC. So when that part goes out then the units can only heat your trailer not cool it, even though the Air Conditioner is working.

I looked up in the thread on the earlier page and the part was a Reversing Coil.
In the thread I was told it would be about $49 which seems right. I got it from PPL here in Houston. they are great to work with and have a huge inventory.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...ccessories.htm

They list many parts on their website but you may need to call them. Mine was a Duotherm 13.5 AC unit which is I think pretty much standard on the 2008- Airstreams. I think it took a screw driver to remove the shroud and then a pair of pliers or a wrench to replace the part. Pretty easy fix.

Good luck!
Old 06-21-2016, 05:11 AM   #47
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
brandon , South Dakota
RichHog,
Thank you for your reply. I was able to find the part number on line (3109864.003) and found one listed on Ebay for about $48.00 with shipping. I have not received it yet, so not sure it will cure my problem.

Will let you know.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2016, 07:35 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Yes I was nervous on it as I was told the alternative was replacing the AC unit. But the cost of the part and doing it myself was pretty cheap. Good luck!
Old 06-27-2016, 05:33 AM   #49
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
brandon , South Dakota
Thank you everyone for your help.

RichHog,

The coil/solenoid arrived, and was replaced. Started the AC with the fan on low to minimize current, runs great. Ran it over the weekend on auto with some very warm temps. No problem!

Last year it was the hard start capacitor that blew its top, this year the coil, I just can't wait to find out what is in store for me next year! HI

Again, thanks for your help.

David
Old 06-28-2016, 07:29 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
AC works

Well good thing it was a cheap part and you did it yourself. Congrats on beating the system one more time!