Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2002, 07:19 AM   #1
JAG
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JAG
Duo Therm Brisk Air

Does anyone have one of these?? I just purchased one and installed it, and was just wondering if I could get some pics, to see what other installations look like....I had to scratch my head a little....Just wondering...

Thanks!!!
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 10:49 AM   #2
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Duo Therm A/C

I installed a used Duo Therm on my '66 Overlander last month and would be happy to send pic's. (And I think the forum will accept larger pics now) The model I got was a low profile unit @ 13K BTU, however I do not recall the model name at this time. I do recall the compressor is a piston type vs a rotory type. After the installation I took the trailer to Mexico and it worked extremely well. There were no provisions for a drain hose so the water does drain off the side of the trailer. However, the moisture content in AZ and Mexico is not like other areas of the country.

So would you like interior pics or exterior pics? And note my '66 is different than your '69. 1969 there was a change in all of the units from prior years.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-05-2002, 10:51 AM   #3
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Duo Therm A/C

Jimmy,

I also got instructions with my unit, and can fax them to you if you need it. What speciffically are you having issues with the installation?

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-05-2002, 12:08 PM   #4
JAG
2 Rivet Member

I have already installed it, just curious as to how others may have installed it...I have a 1969 which has what is called a tri dome ceiling...something airstream didn't do for very long...it is there so you can get to all the wires that run through the trailer...until they head down the wall. I also had an Armstrong in its place which left a larger than typicl opening to fill in and patch back together with whatever is available today. All in all it went in good and cools great!!!!

Thanks!!
Old 06-05-2002, 03:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Operation of the Armstrong AC on the '77 Excella I bought over a year ago was iffy when purchased. An RV dealer in AZ. had gone over the unit for the individual I bought it from. He suggested I replace the Armstong with a Duo-Therm Brisk Air because the wattage draw was the lowest on the market and he thought the Armstrong was a gonner. I had a friend check the freon, it was good. The compressor would not engage because a 14 volt transformer was only sending 9 volts to the thermostat which wasn't even measuring any voltage at the thermostat. I replaced the transformer, set the thermostat, turned the AC on and instantly I heard the compressor kick in. What cold air I am getting. The Brisk Air is a good unit but I am glad I didn't have to spend money on a new AC. By the way, thank god for a good service manual. I wouldn't have been able to trace the problem down if I didn't have it. Craig

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 07:16 AM   #6
JAG
2 Rivet Member

I would have kept the Armstrong, but the condensate drain pan was all rusted out and leaking andf making a mess and had destroyed some wood on on of the footlockers from leaking...Oh well, I ohad to get a new one!!!! Good move. THat Armstrong worked great!!! Cold, Cold Air!!!! I had to replace the motor and some other parts, which by the way I have some spare parts if anyone is interested......
Old 06-06-2002, 08:29 PM   #7
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Duo Therm A/C

Jimmy,

I shot some pics of my used A/C installation, both interior and exterior. The pics are on my photo gallery.

It's a Duo Therm low profile unit. It took me about 1/2 an hour to remove the old unit and replace it with the one in the pic. (With a helping hand from the neighbor to lift the roof top section)

I am very happy with the replacement. It is lighter and shorter than the old unit. And it is cold! The only thing is a lack of a drain tube for the condensate moisture. ~~~~~ And it is a dry heat so there was not a lot of moisture dripping on my last trip.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action