Old 06-04-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
ductwork for new Suburban Furnace

I can't seem to find answer on this. I am replacing my old NT Suburban Furnace with a new one and would like to run new ducts. The current ducts are boxed metal ducts that run along the back wall of the Airstream. Do I have to use those or can I run new round ducts? What is the best solution?

adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Why do you want to run new duct work?

The shape of the duct work does not matter - the kicker is the duct's cross-sectional area.

Tom

TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Is there room for round ducts? Why do you want to change? I have the same year trailer and am about to swap out the furnace as well. What furnace are you going with for the replacement?
Old 06-04-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
I did this job on my 72 Sarafi. I just built a transition peice from the new furnace to the old duct work. It worked fine. I see no need to pull out the old duct work and replace it. All it takes is some sheet metal and rivets.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Burnsville , North Carolina
NT 30SP Install

Aage,
I am looking for install instructions to replace my NT 30A Suburban furnace with a new NT 30SP. Any ideas where I may find this help? Thanks, Bill
Old 10-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
A Simple Google Search

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeloNC View Post
Aage,
... Any ideas where I may find this help? Thanks, Bill
Bill,

Click this link:

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=NT+3...w=1389&bih=846

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
CeloNC,

Tom's link gives you lots of good stuff to read.

Basically, you need to get the old furnace out, cut down the sides and back of its old cabinet, and fashion the airway from the bottom of the new furnace into the air intake on the top of the old plenum. "Plenum" seems to be just another word for "box with holes in it".

The plenum is what the old furnace sat on, which directed the hot air to the two outlets. One outlet exhausted into the sitting area, and the other into a l-o-n-g duct that went to the very back of the trailer (the bathroom in my TT).

Assuming that your new furnace has the same basic problem (not as tall as the old one) you will have the same job to do: lift it high enough to reach the old intake/exhaust holes in the side of the trailer. I needed to raise the new furnace up 1 1/4" and used mostly strips I cut from the old cabinet we had cut out (see above).

Here is one taken just before we fastened the left rail which was used to give us the extra 1 1/4". The hole in the top of the plenum matched the knockout on the bottom of the new furnace.

Here's another that shows us ready to mount the new furnace:

That's the main strokes. It's harder to describe than do. Just keep reading those links until you 'get' it.

And ask questions when you don't, of course.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
I did this on my old 72 Safari. All I did was to get a roll of sheet aluminum and some rivits and built a new plenum to get from the new heater to the old duct work. Depending on your skill leve,l this can look any thing from factory to OMG who did that!
Mine looked almost factory but I spent about three days figuring things out, building the parts and installing the new heat.
Just take your time, it will work out fine.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The easiest solution for me to raise the level of the new furnace so the vents line up was wood. I was a bit skeptical at first, thinking about what wood does when it gets hot, but the NT30SP has been in place for about 5 years wiht no problems,