Old 06-30-2014, 12:01 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I learned today that I can set the AC fan to low. It has four speed settings, auto, high, medium, and low. This is adjusted at the thermostat. On low it might be as quiet as ducted air. Low is noticeably quieter than the default (high).

Old 06-30-2014, 06:42 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
If the humidity level is high, a low fan speed may cause the evaporator coils to freeze with ice.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:05 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
I learned today that I can set the AC fan to low. It has four speed settings, auto, high, medium, and low. This is adjusted at the thermostat. On low it might be as quiet as ducted air. Low is noticeably quieter than the default (high).
Sorry to hear that you have been suffering for some time with the other speed(s) from the central unit / thermostat ... but low is not as quiet as ducted ... did they not provide a manual with your unit?
Old 06-30-2014, 08:55 AM   #88
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Who thinks that it might be possible that the ducted air on prototypes might be more quiet than the final production designs?

I used to read magazines like Motor Trend (a long time ago) this practice seems to have been quite common.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:41 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I also like the seamless look of the ceiling now with the ducted air...really spiffy....

I like science...measurements...and such nerdy things so if these things are more quiet, then they will be both objectively and subjectively more quiet....

It seems highly likely that they are indeed more quiet based on the design....

I for one, enjoy that super loud AC unit on mine....drowns out the kids, and reminds me that I have this amazing modern convenience of air conditioning...and makes watching TV more dynamic!! lol

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:44 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Ducted Air

I like the look too but for me the real benefit would be a considerable drop in fan noise level. My opinion at this point is that Airstream is only matching the industry's move toward ducted air in trailers. Many of the new ones at higher price points have ducted air, at least that is what the product websites indicate- those that are say around $30k+. With the exception of the one class A model I looked at, the noise has not been less. The AC units appear to be the same as the non ducted models with just a different venting baffle. That would mean that in my area, for example, they would still have to be run at the highest fan speed to keep from icing up. I was reading about cfm and data on the newest models of ac units. The lower profile penguin has about a 20 cfm lower than the taller unit. The new brisk II seems to have the best- in the dometic line. Still have to dig on the Mach and advent models.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
I have spoken with Patrick at Colonial and with Chad at Woodland Travel. They both indicated that the ducted air system is whisper quiet! We are considering an upgrade to the 2015 Bunkhouse... If we do, I'll take some video in both units while running full AC.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibby View Post
I have spoken with Patrick at Colonial and with Chad at Woodland Travel. They both indicated that the ducted air system is whisper quiet! We are considering an upgrade to the 2015 Bunkhouse... If we do, I'll take some video in both units while running full AC.

Good. If it was like the Newmar I heard, that would be a definite improvement. I bet you are looking forward to getting your new unit!
Old 07-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Of course these sound level readings will be relative...but from a SmartTools sound meter app on my phone, I measure: 63 db at 6' while seated at the cushion juncture of the dinette; all a/c vents are open and fan on high. Directly under the main a/c vent and in front of stove: 84-85 db. Sitting on the bed: 65 db. So, as would be expected, the sound level drops inversely by the square of the distance (if you could hear that accurately).

Note that reducing the fan speed lowers the 6' reading to 59db; significant but not quiet nor sufficient flow to keep us cool (75) when the outside temps climb in bright sunshine.

I will try to post a very short vid of this and one when we pick up the ducted as well.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Finally some readings. What unit do you have in your stream mefly2? 11K, 13,5K, 15K? It is assumed it is a 2013 AC unit- after the coolant/compressor changeover (if Dometic) so it would be a bit louder as per the reports and Dometic's customer response notification thus the soft grommet kit. Just curious, what was the distance of the meter from the directly under measure? At stove height or at floor level? I will check on that meter and try it on my phone.

BTW SteveSueMac, I did download one iPhone meter, Decibel 10th but it reads 78dB in a quiet room! I will try. SmartTools. mefly2.

Mefly2, is it the SoundTools vibration meter? I cannot find a sound meter app other than the vibration meter and the frequency and tuner app,
Old 07-05-2014, 02:16 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Thanks to MeFly2's post I was prompted to go do another sound meter test. Everything was exactly the same readings from my meter as before. I found a calibration setting on the sound app Decibel 10th I had downloaded and I tried it from the ipad and phone and got within 1-2 db of the same readings from each using Decibel 10th with a calibration of -4.9dB to match my actual meter. The readings were the same as with the meter. Then I did a low fan reading- new info. top of front sofa 58dB; directly under AC unit on floor 62dB; and then at the nightstand (rear) 55db. A null reading came in at 37dB. Note how there was a difference of 7dB in the bedroom just by using the low fan speed!

This is a step further as it may be used by others with Apple products to compare since I have two different products measuring within 1-2db of each other using an app that is accessible for free. Just remember to calibrate it to -4.9dB (found under the i second slider) and use the peak reading for your report. The max is an odd reading as sometimes it was way off perhaps picking up initial noise or etc.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:37 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
We have 15K in our 2013 Int LE Eddie Bauer.
The sound measurement was taken with the Android app in front of the stove ~ 5 1/2" below the A/C unit.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:37 AM   #97
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
What is this soft grommet kit mentioned?

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:03 AM   #98
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
If my new Airstream is going to cost several thousand dollars more, I'd rather get a better grade of metal than 'ducted' air, for crying out loud.