Old 06-14-2014, 09:44 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I just looked at one at the Airstream dealer in Spokane, WA. From the outside, the "hump" is not really that noticeable. On the inside, the raised outside shows up when you look at the skylight and the Fantastic Fan. These are now recessed in a shaft not unlike what you would see in a house with a skylight.

The ceiling has some circular outlets and a couple of rectangular intake vents. The cooling vents are completely open with only a mesh wire screen. There is no way to close off or redirect the flow of cool air. A couple of these vents sit right above the dining table in the 25FB I looked at which could cause an issue for some.

I did not look in the bathroom or shower but now wonder what the exhaust fans would look like. Getting the handle off of these fans to service the switches is hard enough right now. I hope they redesigned things to account for the recess needed to accommodate the raised roof.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:11 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I do not believe this will impact used pricing except for the newer models. Those that own 1-3 year old units- plan on keeping them for a while and enjoy them. As the price gap from new to used increases via new pricing increases AND depreciation, it will work out.

What we need are some halfway decent readings on dB levels just to compare. Those that have a sound level meter can play along. This will not be totally accurate if we share using different measuring units but curiosity can be the motivator. I will take measurements with my unit 1)on the floor directly below the unit, 2) at the front window edge (on dinette, nightstand or bed headrest area or on couch back), and 3) in the rear at the window bottom on whatever.

anyone have access to a ducted model with running ac?

Actually, It would also be interesting to know which models, coleman, domestic, etc. non-ducted are quieter. I will post my results soon.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Macon , Georgia
I wonder how many of us that bought 2014 models would have waited for the 2015's with ducted air had we known it was coming? I know I would have waited.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:33 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I bought used a year ago and still appreciate the value that I got on a 2012. Had I known ducted air was in the works I might have held off a year and bought a 2015, even with the financial penalty.
But, with cars, boats, RV's and other expensive toys you can always chase the new stuff, as the manufacturers want you to do, or you can make a decision and just live with it. Shoot, Airstreams have had non-ducted air for decades so a lot of us can live with it.
Larry
Old 06-14-2014, 10:39 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I accept my non-ducted AC for what it is, emergency cooling. Prefer to camp where AC isn't required or possible by avoiding RV parks with hookups anyway. I do envy the SeeLevel tank monitor. The micropulse system isn't even in the ballpark. Oh well, since I'm not made of money I plan on keeping what I have for a long time.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:18 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I must have fan noise to sleep at night - silence and various intermittent noise wakes me up

I grew up in mountains of SW Virginia (Tazewell) - and had a fan in window most of my life - and so it is of no great importance to me especially for the price hike

If I had know about the ducted air I still would rather not wait as I would not be camping right NOW in the mountains of GA

Also - let other be the Ginny pigs first

And that is my rationalization and ima sticking to it

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:19 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Micro pulse monitor does suck - bad

Old 06-14-2014, 02:56 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
I thought you're supposed to be having a relaxing weekend with the Mrs. What are you doing on Forums
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:57 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
She is napping - I cannot nap - throws off my sleep cycle - I am just sitting in my chair listening to the creek - birds - relaxing - and chatting a tad on here

Old 06-14-2014, 03:33 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Okay. You earn a pass lol. Sitting here watching World Cup perfect world would be camping AND World Cup. Maybe in 2018
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:41 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
OK, just walked in the door. I took readings with my trusty Radio Shack sound meter 33-2050. Settings weighting A, Response Slow. set at 60dB starting point. My "emergency cooling unit" running:

Front Lounge area meter on top of sofa back facing center- 62dB
Center directly below AC unit on floor - 62dB
Rear Bedroom area nightstand center back to edge facing center- 61dB

Guinea pig! A school friend of mine was named Ginny (pronounced Jenny, like Gin, or Jeanie) Lucky Dog. Mountains and a few weeks ago beach. Geez. Enjoy.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:48 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Sounds like it works excellent -

Ginny autocorrect lol

Old 06-16-2014, 08:53 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Alright lets take this up a notch,

Have you heard of those odd hunch top Airstreams that lack the sweet private Learjet sound that lulls one to sleep at night and adds that sense of travel while you watch TV in your Airstream? Boy, will owners be missing something! They are supposedly whisper quiet. Gone is that sense of substantial camping- the sound of a jet engine, or maybe warp drive, whatever- the campground dampening field. (borrowed avatar)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-22.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	214341  
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2014, 01:54 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Ok, pun over. I just came home from CampingWorld I WISH I had my meter with me. I went to look at their sale and clearance (got a mailing) and while I was there I saw a new model Coleman explorer trailer CTU271RB with opposing slides and the door open- 31' very nice with an island. There were no sales people around but I went in to look at it. It was hooked up to power. I noticed that it had "ducted air" by Advent with an intake in the center and four outlets toward each side end. I just couldn't help myself so I switched it on! From the doorway I could hear the compressor first then the interior blower. IT WAS LOUD! It drowned out any outside noise. The difference was that the sound was like standing near a regular roof unit wherever you went. The vents all added to the wind noise and the intake was as loud as my unit. It was surround-sound blower noise. I switched it off but it did not shut off- some sort of delay. I walked away as it later shut off thinking, wow someone needs to come up with a quiet design for campers. I do not see how even the new AS unit could be much different from the Coleman- maybe. I will say that the lower fan speed makes a difference but if the unit behaves anything like mine, you cannot use the lower setting without freezing up or raising the temperature on the unit. One benefit I noticed is that cool air was better distributed all around.