Old 09-05-2014, 11:10 PM   #239
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Just got caught up on the thread. It sounds like this AC system may be a winner for Airstream.

I am perplexed at that several have shared how they roasted in FL or in the southern summer in their Airstreams with one AC or even two AC units and the bathroom was stifling.

I live in the south, in FL, and have a single unit AC 11K. From experimenting with it I have learned that it is quite adequate for the job. The ADB upgrade is a major improvement on airflow. I am thinking that it must be those pano windows that are radiating so much heat to the coaches that cannot cool properly. I do not have panos- on either end.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:37 AM   #240
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Ducted Air

Pano windows, I agree. My 27 FB had both ends, and while I had even tinted the rear, which is normally clear, I think the heat coming in is quite significant. In fact, this is why I like the rear of my Serenity, as it has the storage in the corners, not windows.

In the bedroom area, when in the usual position in bed one cannot see out of the windows except to maybe look at stars, and this means putting the awning up.... LOL. I have suggested to Airstream they offer a non- pano option on the new Classic just for this reason, more storage without the pano windows over the bed.

One more thought about the single A/C is if one can cool the unit easier with only one or no pano, this makes dry camping much easier with less need for a huge generator to power both A/C units.

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871

AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:04 AM   #241
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Rodster, remember many AS owners want the inside temp to be 68 or less. Most of us in Fl do not keep our houses that cool. If your goal is 78 to 80 , I agree with you, one AC is enough. My wife's Ohio relatives keep their house at 68 in the summer and 84 in the winter. It's a Yankee thing. Jim
Old 09-06-2014, 07:46 AM   #242
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
One note re: two A/C units I realized today. I am leaving for the day and the outside temp is 48 degrees. Later on it may be 80 or higher and the sun will increase the interior temp. So one zone on heat pump set to 70 degrees; the second zone on A/C set to 78 degrees. Works for me!
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:52 AM   #243
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
2011 25' FB International
Carencro , Louisiana
Huge skylights, double pano's.... and coupled with a small lousy A/C unit just don't work. Thank you Jackson Center for figuring this out... I think we were the guinea pigs.

I must say I love light, windows and the view.... I hate HEAT! After purchasing our 2011 25FB new, that summer we felt like we were a baking potato, we were lucky if we could get the cabin temp down to 98° in the summer. We special ordered the unit the standard 13.5K A/C - HeatPump, at that time, and was no options for A/C. Had ton's of problems with the A/C, excessive strange noise, spits and sprays of water out of the shroud. Changed the unit to the newer style and 15K, that did help a lot. Also just after that in summer of 2012 we tinted the rear pano window with Limo Tint, the upper windows with limo tint and all the bedroom including the pano with 50% tint, remember that the front bedroom is already tinted from the factory as well as the side window. This was the best $250 I spent for my unit. You could still enjoy the windows and the heat stayed out. Also added some privacy to the ill-fitting curtains.

Eagerly awaiting the arrival of our new 2015 27fb International serenity with optional 2nd A/C and ducted. It is scheduled for production to start on 1st Oct and be released for shipment on the 8th to our dealer. I did have the factory do a custom order by not installing the skylight aka inferno in the bath area and install a 2nd fantastic fan, as we lost the one over the bed for the 2nd a/c unit. I will take the curtains down in the bedroom and send them to the work room to have a light blocking silver backing, sew-in. This will allow the bedroom to be dark as needed for deep good sleep. I will at least place 50% or Limo tint on the rear pano windows...btw I did again order the awning pack (rear/street). I will do 50% again in the bedroom.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:09 PM   #244
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
2015 Ducted Air 28' Flying Cloud

We wanted some opinions/ideas from the forum members. We have recently looked at at 2015 28' Flying Cloud with ducted air. We love the floor plan (bed orientation) and the addition of a lounge area separate from the dinette. That being said we are mulling over the 1 AC or 2 AC question.

We are not beach/summer time campers. We tend to go to the mountains to camp in the summer where it is much cooler. We will make a one time trip out to Wyoming next summer.

My questions are:
(1) Should we special order and get the 2nd AC and are there any negatives to having it?
(2) Are there any negatives to the 50 amp service requirement?
(3) Is it worth the extra expense to go ahead and order the 2nd AC? A single AC Flying Cloud is available at the dealer. We have confirmed that it is an extensive add on if you try to do later.

We realize that we would lose the rear Fantastic Fan with a 2nd AC and are considering having the rear skylight replaced with a FF.

(4) Any other modifications related to the 2nd AC that we should considered?
Old 09-06-2014, 03:30 PM   #245
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
We went through this question of 1 vs. 2 AC units in our 30 foot bunkhouse when purchasing in 2013....

Ducted air presents in theory a possibility for better air distribution and maybe no need for the second AC unit?

In my own experience using 30amp in FL and running only one AC in 82 degrees and high humidity....one worked fine...but in direct sun with all awnings out (streetside, back, and main) it still ran most all day to keep temp at or near 75 degrees...I am an alabamian, and have never been a “yankee” but I like 75 and at night a bit cooler than that at 72...

Problem with one unit in these hotter temps in non-ducted in that kinda head and direct sun is that the center of the trailer would be nice, and ends would be (for me) too warm and it would be a bit of a struggle keeping it nice and cool....this was corrected with a small fan circulating things better...you would not want to close the privacy screen as this would limit air flow...

Perhaps with ducted though and a 15K unit all would be well....I would be skeptical personally without further experience.

2 units will no doubt cool it down faster when you get to your destination even if one will eventually get you there.

2 will give you a backup in case of failure

2 means 50 amp, yes that cord is bulky and annoying

Its a tempting idea one unit....perhaps with a bit more research you can gain some re-assurance to go for a single unit...

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:55 PM   #246
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Take a serious look at the bulk and weight of a 50 amp shore power cord and see if you want to deal with that every time you camp, especially if you do not think you need two AC units for your style of camping. We do not camp in the summer heat because part of camping is being outside a good deal; we do not want to be forced into the trailer because it is too hot outside. 50 amp service would be a waste for us.
Larry
Old 09-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #247
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
You never run the a/c and the microwave? Or the a/c and a hair dryer? Or the microwave and a hair dryer? The weight of the 50 amp cord is a small price to pay for not constantly tripping breakers. I don't miss my 30 amp trailer at all.
2 a/c's is handy when I'm always cold and my wife is always hot.
Just like 2 televisions is handy when I don't want to watch the same thing as my wife.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #248
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
For me, owning an Airstream is not about having all of the conveniences of home. I am used to tradeoffs. I had boats for 30 years and had to think about electric use, water use, waste disposal, etc. so that stuff is second nature to me. No big deal to turn off the AC for a few minutes while using the microwave. That is far less trouble than filling up my sparse storage with two 50 amp shorepower cords, not to mention having to wrestle one into a coil every time I camp.
If I had a big MH with my 50 amp cord coiled on a self winding reel it would be simple but I chose a more minimalist approach by buying an Airstream Travel Trailer.
I think the ducted air is a great development, that I will never experience. I would want that, yes. 50 amp service, no need.
Larry
Old 09-06-2014, 05:08 PM   #249
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
I personally like the ducted air, and the improvements in being able to hear music or conversation or the tv is great...
Old 09-06-2014, 06:18 PM   #250
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Montreal , Quebec
Send a message via Skype™ to Rawn77
So here's my 2 cents.
I presently have a 2010 30' FC with a single 15k unit which serves me fine for 98% of the time. There were some times where having the 2nd AC would have been most welcome.
I have on order a new Classic with 2 AC's. I agree about the 50A cord being a hassle when most of the time I won't need it. Marinco makes a 30A cord with the female end to fit the 50A outlet of the RV. Basically it's a 30' 50A-30A pigtail!
Now I get the best of both worlds!
Of course your opinions may vary.
Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

2017 Classic
4 Flexible 100w Solar Panels
3000w Magnum Hybrid Inverter
1000 Amp Hours Lithium Battery
Honda EU3000
Drain Master Sewer Connection
2017 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax
Hensley
Rawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:20 PM   #251
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
Marinco is a great resource as most boat folks know....
Old 09-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #252
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Ducted Air

I chose a more minimalist approach by buying an Airstream Travel Trailer.
Larry

Larry you said a lot in your post. With my wee unit I can make the inside a freezer easily getting to the sixties. Remember it is only 158 sq ft or so so it can do it but I do not have any more than three people ever no panos with insulated walls and ceiling so that probably helps

I like the idea of ducting but I am still skeptical. Our SOB cousins who have had ducted AC for some time have many posts describing cooling to be done via a direct air unit then the ducted after cooling down. That tells me that air temp is different and that insulation is critical.