Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Calgary , Alberta
Dual Zone Heating for 2010 27

Hi! I have been Googling and searching on this and I can't find anything useful yet, so if you have any information or can point me in the right direction that would be great!

We have a 2010 27FB trailer with a thermostat in the bedroom area. The issue is we have 3 children that I set up in the bedroom and my wife and I retire to the galley area beds. With the thermostat in the bedroom and the closed curtain (they go to bed much earlier than we do), the galley end of the trailer is hot (2 ducts) and the bedroom with the kids is cold (1 duct) as the thermostat is only getting 1/3 of the vents and probably really only 20% of the heat as it is the longest run from the furnace unit.

I thought I could put in dual zone heating as there is a Dometic thermostat with up to 4 zones, but can't really find any more information beyond this. I have thought about doing a manual calibration of the venting by partially blocking the front vents to push more volume to the bedroom area, but not sure if I want to mess with adding more pressure on the furnace.

Any thoughts, ideas, experience?
Old 05-20-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Hello Simon

Common problem.

The Dometic thermostat will support zoned heat if there is more than one furnace, although in practice it may be easier to just put in a second thermostat.

Closing off the ducts, even a little, will cause the furnace to overheat.

I ended up running another duct to the rear of the trailer. Though the specifics of my trailer's layout will differ from yours, the writeup I did may help you in general terms.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ack-71852.html

Another possibility, if you usually have shore power (120v) when you camp, would be to add electric heat to the rear part of your trailer:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ble-64289.html