Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2017, 08:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Williamsburg , Virginia
Drip outside off roof onto awning

Very humid where we are today, at Cherrystone Campground on the Eastern Shore. From the time we parked and started the AC, we have had a constant drip running down the Awning. I assume it is from the AC pan, but I don't have a ladder to access the roof, not sure I would know what to look for. I am assuming that the drain line has likely come off the pan and the pan is leaking onto the roof. Is there any other place I should look for leaks with that line disconnected or is it just a matter of getting it reconnected? I have no leaks inside that I can find.

Any advice I can get on this would be appreciated.
Ttaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:19 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Do you have water coming out the drain hose under the trailer? It sounds blocked or partially blocked.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:20 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Williamsburg , Virginia
Where can I find said drain hose?
Old 06-22-2017, 08:23 PM   #4
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Mine is in front of the drivers side front wheel
Old 06-22-2017, 09:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I have the same problem with my 2013 trailer. I'm pretty sure we both have the same Dometic Penguin II AC. There are two drains, streetside and curbside. They flow into these two cups which have pipes connecting each other with a T fitting to the drain line that empties into the streetside wheel well.

I've climbed on to the roof, removed the AC cover and can see the cup full of condensate. The cup is running over onto the roof. It's not really a big problem except that it's not supposed to be that way. I shoved a hose up against the drain pipe in the wheel well and turned the water on full blast, basically flushing the system in reverse. A lot of water poured off the roof on both sides. Unfortunately this didn't work for me. Still get a dribble onto the awning. Not as much as before but still a dribble.

I didn't see anyway to get to the drain pipes without removing the entire AC unit. For now I'm going to live with this minor inconvenience.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:15 PM   #6
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Run a piece of the thickest weedeater line you can find up the drain hose. If you have a drill, attach to the end and spin the line
Old 06-23-2017, 03:53 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Williamsburg , Virginia
Going to go to the local hardware store and get some weedwacker line today. I'll let you know how it works out.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:12 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Williamsburg , Virginia
Only found one drain, on the street side. Took a weed eater wire and pushed it up as far as I could, jabbed it in a few times. Started getting flow. I also took the intakes off and saw that the drain line looked fairly full. I gave it a few good squeezes. It appears to have fixed it for now.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:50 AM   #9
HotelCaliGal

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
1991 35' Airstream 350
portola valley , California
Drip outside off roof onto awning

Condensation from the AC. Dometic Penguin II ours does that as well.
Driftin Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:03 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Williamsburg , Virginia
I also noted that I had a slight lean to the curbside. I went ahead and leveled the trailer (added a level block under each curbside tire). This definitely helped with the AC drainage. I also noted that the refrigerator was not cooling below 46 degrees, never had an issue like that before. I am hoping that adjusting the level will improve the temp in the fridge (fridge is located on the street side of the trailer).
Old 06-23-2017, 11:05 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
This happens to me if the trailer is not perfectly level.
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:31 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Ours does it too. Many posts here about that issue with lots of user experiences.

Note that (at least on our 2014) there is one drain line which empties from the front of the street side wheel well, but two cups in the pan on the roof unit. The lines from the two cups come together at a tee fitting which can be accessed from inside the trailer by removing the grille (your ducted AC unit may be different). Prolonged use in southern humidity (I AC all summer, even in storage, to prevent mold) will eventually clog the drain lines with algae. A dilute bleach solution run through both lines is good to cure for that. Running a line from the drain typically only clears one of the two lines above the tee. Note also that having the trailer perfectly level or even tipped ever so slightly toward the street side can improve AC drainage. If ours is tipped to the curb side I even get drainage into the trailer. Try different variations (even slightly nose low since the drain cups are in the front of the pan) to see what works best for your situation.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:43 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetguy View Post
This happens to me if the trailer is not perfectly level.
This can happen too if spiders get inside the tubing and lay their eggs. Plugs it up every time
Roll-on is offline   Reply With Quote