Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2016, 03:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
San Antonio , Texas
Dometic Thermostat Inside Temp Incorrect

We have a Dometic Thermostat that came with our 2011 International Sig. 27FB. Recently we had airstream add a second AC unit in the bedroom. So here is what they did. Originally the thermostat was in the bedroom and the only AC was in the living area. When they added the second AC unit they put it in the bedroom and placed the thermostat for that unit in the bedroom and moved the living room thermostat to the living room. So each AC unit has it's own thermostat, they are not connected in any way.

The thermostat in the living room is now incorrectly reading the inside temperature. It is reading it as much higher than it really is, so the AC unit basically runs all day without stopping because it thinks it is never reaching the temperature it is set to. The thermostat is located on the wall next to the refrigerator and above the tv. Now before you ask it will read higher than actual inside temp even when the tv is not on. I know the tv can affect it when its on, but it does it even when not on. So at this moment it says 95 outside, 94 inside and set to 72 inside. It is not 94 inside, it is actually fairly comfortable, maybe not 72, but certainly not above 78.

So my obvious question is why is my thermostat reading the inside temperature higher than the actual inside temperature. What can be causing this. Should I add a insulator behind the thermostat, maybe caused by the fridge? Should I just order a new thermostat? Where is the sensor actually located, any thoughts on that??

Thanks
KStewart
kstewart23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:17 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
I would take the thermostat off the wall and see what happens from there. It might be heat from the fridge wall to the outside. does the wall feel warm?

Bruce
AstroBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
This is a fairly common problem with the AC sensor placement in newer 27' units with 2 ACs - even those originally equipped with 2ACs. The heat from the fridge (and the TV if on) impacts the reading of the sensor (which is mounted in the small white plastic cage on the fridge wall). Some of us have had luck improving the reading by pulling the wire sensor out a few inches from the mounting hole so it reads more of the ambient air temperature, but it still reads 5-8 degrees too high, so we set that zone higher at the thermostat by about that amount. Hope that helps a bit. Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:39 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
San Antonio , Texas
The wall in some areas is warmer, I thought that might be the issue, but it is hard to imagine that it is causing that high of a reading. I will pull it off and see if I can pull the sensor out. What does the sensor look like?
kstewart23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
The sensor is behind the small plastic white cage you see at the left of the picture, just above where the wires enter the wall. It may be in a different location behind or near your TV. Joe

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1468206144.553744.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	266440
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote