Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2016, 07:44 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to jtwind Send a message via MSN to jtwind Send a message via Yahoo to jtwind
Dometic thermostat in 2017 19'

Having issues with the thermostat in a new 19' May be may as it's a complicated unit and instructions are poor. Main issue right now is furnace won't come on. Even when it's in furnace mode the AC heatpump comes on, and not in a warm way. I can get it into Auto mode and then the heat pump warms up but can't figure out how to get the furnace to go on. On a trip and the only dealer help is bring it in.
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:02 PM   #2
2016 19ft flying cloud

Spokane , Washington
Having the same problem
Not sure if it's best to have in HP or Auto mode, when trying to regulate heat
Mine finally froze up and nothing would change on thermostat
Finally had turn turn off shore power and start over
Seems like unit fluctuates between heating and air conditioning when you only need heat in the Winter

Help
Spinonedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:55 PM   #3
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Maybe worth trying a thermostat reset. Here are the instructions from Dometic when I asked last year when I was having issues. (Not same issue as you though--and I never actually did this reset):

Thank you for contacting Dometic. To do a system initialization, or a "reboot" or your thermostat, first turn it "off" (it will either have a blank display or show only the clock) At the same time, hold the Mode and Zone buttons. The screen will display "IniT" and all available zones. When that happens, release the Mode and Zone buttons and turn your thermostat back on. Sometimes, you need to do this a few times before your thermostat "finds" everything it's going to run.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwind View Post
Having issues with the thermostat in a new 19' May be may as it's a complicated unit and instructions are poor. Main issue right now is furnace won't come on. Even when it's in furnace mode the AC heatpump comes on, and not in a warm way. I can get it into Auto mode and then the heat pump warms up but can't figure out how to get the furnace to go on. On a trip and the only dealer help is bring it in.
Welcome to the forum! You should have a Dometic instruction booklet along with your AS owner's manual, in case pcskier's recap does not cover the hard reboot of the stat.

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:20 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to jtwind Send a message via MSN to jtwind Send a message via Yahoo to jtwind
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Welcome to the forum! You should have a Dometic instruction booklet along with your AS owner's manual, in case pcskier's recap does not cover the hard reboot of the stat.

Good luck!

Peter
No Dometic booklet, just a very poor one page instructions which really covers little and is sort of Ikea ish. Jeff
Old 09-23-2016, 12:24 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
I did do the reset 3 times without success. I did notice that when the thermostat is waiting for the AC or HP to come on it displays a hourglass. There is no hourglass displayed when it's waiting for Furnace to start. Not sure that indicates anything.

The tech at the dealer also suggested a reset though all he said to do was unplug the trailer and turn off the main breaker and wait 5 minutes. That didn't help either.

To me it seems that the thermostat just isn't "connecting" with the furnace.

Any other ideas are certainly welcome.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:37 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Progress, sort of. Took off the outside furnace cover and furnace fires right up! Reinstall the cover and no go. There was a indent on the foam inside the cover where there was a bundle of wires over a 4 or 5 way plug. I cut their zip tie and spread them out and still no go when the cover is on. My only notion is go through the wires that are close to the cover when it's on and check connections? Appreciate any other ideas. Jeff
Old 09-24-2016, 02:08 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Furnace working! In case anyone is looking at this in the future. In my case my pushing and prodding inside the furnace compartment discovered that the furnace kicked on when I pushed on the wires on the sail switch. I cleaned the connections and applied dielectric grease and unscrewed the switch, wiggled it around and reassembled and all works as it should. Not sure for how long but have my fingers crossed.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:29 PM   #9
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwind View Post
Furnace working! In case anyone is looking at this in the future. In my case my pushing and prodding inside the furnace compartment discovered that the furnace kicked on when I pushed on the wires on the sail switch. I cleaned the connections and applied dielectric grease and unscrewed the switch, wiggled it around and reassembled and all works as it should. Not sure for how long but have my fingers crossed.
Good to hear you figured it out...shame that you needed to on a brand new trailer. But that's another thread....

I would recommend calling Airstream, telling them the story, and get them to send you a new switch just to be sure. Keep the old one as a backup.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 05:51 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Glad you got it figured out, thanks for sharing!

What's the "sail switch"?
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Dometic thermostat in 2017 19'

Switch inside the heater that tells the electronics the fan is running properly. Has a blade on an arm. Fan comes on, airflow moves sail to activate switch. Once that happens, the board turns on gas and igniter to get heat. If sail switch doesn't work right, no heat.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:40 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Good to hear you figured it out...shame that you needed to on a brand new trailer. But that's another thread....

I would recommend calling Airstream, telling them the story, and get them to send you a new switch just to be sure. Keep the old one as a backup.
I will try and get a new switch, good idea! Frankly that's all that's been an issue with this trailer so I'm pretty happy. Bought a Sport 16 new in 2014 and there was a long list of issues with it, nothing major but things like over tightened screws, rivets that missed their mark, windows that didn't line up, some veneer that bubbled, table trim coming apart etc. Not sure if Airstream is doing better or I just got a good one but so far so good. Always interesting to poke around and see how things work.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:20 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Sun City , Arizona
Dometic CCC2 Thermostat Problem

We have a 2014, 28' Intl. Sign. With dual Dometic Penguin II units with a Dometic Digital thermostat CCC 2. The problem we were having is that Zone 1 would never shut-off in AC mode. That Zone uses the thermostat for it's ambient temp. Zone 2 uses a remote sensor. I did a reset, no luck, I replaced the thermostat, then both units shut-off prematurely. Thermostat was reading 10 deg. Too high, even after 2 resets. Put the old thermostat back in, did 2 resets and problem went away. It seems the quality of these Dometic thermostats is very low. I'm grateful to a blog I read here that pointed me to the right troubleshooting and didn't spend hundreds of $$ at a service center to get my problem solved.
BoeingJet is offline   Reply With Quote