Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2019, 12:52 PM   #1
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
Charleston , West Virginia
Dometic Penguin ii not working 2018 33 Classic.

My front AC is not cooling. Blowing ambient air. Checked all filters, turned all power off and reset. No luck. Drawing 8 amps with just the fan blowing and 15 amps when AC is on, according to my EMS surge protector. Sounds like the compressor is running but just no cooling (I can hear the compressor kick on). No condensation visibly draining from the unit. Tried to switch to heat mode and again sounds like compressor running and fan blows but no heat. Still under warranty but wondered if I am missing something simple like a popped breaker on the unit itself? Any ideas?
JDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 03:32 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

So the unit will pull ~2.5 amps with just the fan running - so you have 8-2.5=5.5 amps of other AC stuff on.

That means when the compressor is running the unit is only drawing 15-5.5=9.5amps total including the 2.5amps for the fan. Should be drawing 13-15 total.

Compressor running with low amp draw / no cooling means you’ve lost line pressure in the unit. Coolant leak. Must be replaced. Had the same issue on my 2017 after 5 days of usage.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 03:50 PM   #3
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
Wulfraat
Thanks. That’s what I was afraid of. Everything I find indicates coolant leak. Mine has lasted 18 months but I guess I am luck still under warranty. Thanks again.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Our 2016 27FBs A/C lasted one season before this exact issue happened to us. The dealer installed a new A/C. Apparently, unlike most other A/Cs, you can't just fix the leak and recharge it.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:59 PM   #5
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden;
Our 2016 27FBs A/C lasted one season before this exact issue happened to us. The dealer installed a new A/C. Apparently, unlike most other A/Cs, you can't just fix the leak and recharge it.

Correct. The penguin II is not serviceable with regards to the coolant system.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:12 PM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There are a *lot* of small refrigeration systems out there today that are all in the "no way to recharge" category. Yes, that's a bit of a downer on all of them.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:36 PM   #7
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDG View Post
My front AC is not cooling. Blowing ambient air. Checked all filters, turned all power off and reset. No luck. Drawing 8 amps with just the fan blowing and 15 amps when AC is on, according to my EMS surge protector. Sounds like the compressor is running but just no cooling (I can hear the compressor kick on). No condensation visibly draining from the unit. Tried to switch to heat mode and again sounds like compressor running and fan blows but no heat. Still under warranty but wondered if I am missing something simple like a popped breaker on the unit itself? Any ideas?
Hi JDG,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
Old 07-09-2019, 05:57 AM   #8
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
Thanks to all for the responses. I was able to make a service appointment with JC so hopefully be back in “cool” air soon.