Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2015, 05:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Dometic Penguin condensation drain leak

I need some advice and help. I'm renovating my '96 34'er, and have a condensation leak from the air conditioner. The A/C is a Dometic Penguin, the condensation pan under the A/C leaks at the barbed fitting. I'm sure this is a common problem, as a friend has a 28' with the same problem.

Is there a simple way to do this without removing the A/C. The actual leak in mine is where the barbed fitting goes into the condensation pan. I think the right adhasive would solve the problem, perhaps silicone?

Help and advice is welcome. I searched for a thread that deals with this problem, but the search came up with nearly 5,000, and I do not have the time, nor inclination to go through them all.

This has got to be a very common problem, I don't understand why someone hasn't made an aluminum pan to take care of the prroblem

Thanks,
Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I used JB Weld

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I used JB Weld

Rich,
Thanks for the suggestion, I've used JB Weld on other applications. I wonder if they have a product specifically for plastics? When I make my daily trip to Home Depot, I'll check..

Larry
Old 01-19-2015, 07:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Vulcum #635.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Actually, I need to expand my response. I used JB Weld in a small amount by gently opening the crack and working it in and providing a small coat over the crack. I then used polyurethane sealer (Sika, I think) to seal the hose on and cover the area. I used JB Weld exclusively over another crack that appeared in the pan, further away from the drain fitting. JB Weld works fine on plastic, just rough up the area with fine sandpaper and use as usual.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:50 AM   #6
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Here's a marine product that may do the trick:

Marine Tex, epoxy resin, adhesives, silicone grease, engine treatment, cleaner, repair, bond, fill, seal, fiberglass, aluminum, plastics, Starboard, wood
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Thank y'all for your ideas and suggestions. I talked to Craig at Woodland Travel Center in Grand Rapids, MI. They use JB Weld for this problem, so I decided to go with it. Interesting, where my leak is, where the barbed fitting goes into the pan, the fitting connection failed.
I used a popsicle stick to get the epoxy around the fitting connection. It was cool enough in the AS that it took considerable more time to cure than normal, and the epoxy flowed very nicely around the problem area.
This morning, I'm going to give it another "coat" and that should give a thick enough coating for strength. Hopefully, the problem is solved.

Larry
Old 01-31-2015, 08:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Guys, I hate to be a pest about this leak, apparently, there is more than one. The JB Weld worked fine for the barbed fitting/condensate drain problem, however, when it operates on ither the A/C, or heat pump modes, I have condensation running over the roof, and down the sides of the trailer.
There is water draining out of the condensate drain tube, so I'm fairly sure it's not plugged.
I've been trying to avoid having to remove the A/C, but I'm reaching the end of my knowledge bank.
I also have condensation coming out of the hole where the drain tube goes through the aluminum extrusion that forms the roof. This condensation is also seeping to the interior of the coach from the from the aluminum interior ceiling directly under the grommet where the drain tube goes through the extrusion.
I'm wondering if there may be a chance that the ABS drain pan may have a crack, or hole, where I can't see it?
At this point the interior of the coach is gutted, and I've gotta find the source of this leak before I start with the interior. Right now, the only thing I've got done is the new vinyl flooring...
Thanks again for your help.

Larry
Old 01-31-2015, 08:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Step one - blow some 5 psi air up the condensate drain hose by the wheels. Mine was partially occluded, had the same symptoms yours has and blowing it clear solved the problem.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:52 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Blow out the drain tube from the bottom to the top just to make sure it's not partially plugged. I mean, you came this far might as well make sure. Other than that I'm out of ideas too!
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:54 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I'm too late, must have been typing while n2916s was sending his response.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
N2916s and Bluto,
Thanks for the response, but that was the first thing I did about 2 or so weeks ago. I started with low pressure, (5 psi) then worked up gradually to 75 psi, believe me, there is no obstruction the the condensate drain hose.
I think I'll call Airstream Monday morning and ask for any ideas they might have. I'm almost totally convinced the A/C will have to come off and a new drain pan will be in order.
I hope I'm wrong.....

Larry
Old 01-31-2015, 02:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I hate to say it but I think you are right and the unit will have to come off. Annoying but not horribly difficult.
Keep us updated as the mystery is resolved.

Mike
Dismissive cat
Old 01-31-2015, 04:36 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
I hate to say it but I think you are right and the unit will have to come off. Annoying but not horribly difficult.
Keep us updated as the mystery is resolved.

Mike
Mike,
I did one last check on this, I took the drain hose off of the barbed fitting, and blew air through the hose from the top down. I ran it up to 125 PSI, my wife held her hand under the drain tube, and only air came out. Then I took a piece of wire, and ran into the barbed fitting, there is no obstruction.
So the A/C has to come off, and we have to find out where the leak is.....
Another day in the upgrading of the '96 34 footer....I guess we can say this is a "character building" experience....
Thanks for all you guy's help, I'll let y'all know what the problem was when we find out.

Larry C
Old 01-31-2015, 06:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
If this kind of thing is a "character building" experience, I have achieved "Characterhood" (many times over)...

Mike
Dismissive cat
Old 02-10-2015, 05:43 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 19' Safari
2005 19' Safari
new iberia , Louisiana
air condition drain

We had a air-condition put on our 20 ft. Argosy when we brought it and the drain hose was not hocked up to it, so my question is what do we have to do to hock it up? The hose is their.
Thanks for any help.
stream lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:12 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
MooreHaven , Florida
I have the same problem on my 78 Argosy with the Coleman Mach 3.I have been trying to find what i have to do to get it to drain down the tube as it should,the tube is there but nothing to connect it to on the A/C
Old 02-15-2015, 12:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Here's the update on the condensate leak. We got the A/C removed, I haveno idea what sort of sealer Airstream uses, but obviously, it was not meant to be easy to remove!

The plastic (ABS) tray had a hairline crack directly over the area where this pesky leak was. I order the new style condensate drain pans from Out of Doors Mart, and has been installed, I haven't had a humid enough day to really check it out.

A couple words about Out of Doors Mart, and their pricing.....while I am thankful they had the part, and their prompt shipping, I have to say that the kit consists of two plastic cups that are about 4 inches by 3 inches, and are connected by a piece of plastic hose, and a "T" fitting that connects to the Airstream drain through the wall, and a couple of pieces of 1" foam, and a new gasket for the roof seal is expensive enough at $54.00, even at Airstream part prices, this is considerably overpriced.

That was bad enough, but acceptable, especially, since I had few options. The thing that really pissed me off was the shipping charges of $20.00. This kit weighs less than 2 pounds total, and that included the box. The actual shipping costs should have been no more than $10.00 at the most.

I've ordered from them before, and always thought they were a bit high, but this is overkill, in my opinion.....

For whatever it's worth....

Larry
Old 02-15-2015, 12:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Hey Larry, it is good to vent. I know about shipping, I got killed ordering the LED bulbs $14 for an array replacement $9 for shipping.