Old 10-14-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Canton , Mississippi
Dometic Interior Condensation Leak

Have a new 2008 25" Safari with the 11,000BTU A/C unit (with heat strip). Unit has worked outstanding until this weekend.

Situation: Older campground, 50A site, utilized a 50/30A adapter. 85 degrees, humid and sunny. Several "big" luxury 36ft fifth wheels parked at nearby sites in line with mine.

The A/C cooled OK but did not seem to dehumidify as it had in the past. Compressor seemed to cycle more often than before. Water droplets formed on the interior vent slots and dropped to the floor. The water drops became so numerous and regular that we had to put a bowl on the floor to catch the water. We nearly filled a cereal bowl full of water overnight and the cabin felt humid. I checked the A/C drain line on the interior of the unit and it was not leaking. I checked the outside drain and it was clear of obstructions and dripping and draining well.

When the "big" fifth wheel next door left the following day, the A/C unit seemed to return to normal operation and the interior leaking stopped completely.

Question: Since this was an older campground is it possible that I may have been experiencing a low voltage/power situation? If so, would low voltage/power cause the A/C unit to react as it did?

Old 10-14-2008, 04:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Low voltage should only put an additional load on the compressor and cause it to run hotter. The long term effect would be a failed compressor.

Was the fan running as normal and moving air. Low voltage may have effected the fan speed. I ask this because a lack of air across the evaporator would cause the surrounding parts of the AC to cool to the point of forming condensation that would not drip into the drain pan put just out on the floor. Are the filters clean?

If your trailer does not have a low voltage indicator on the AC get a voltmeter installed. They are cheap compared to a new AC. Try not to run the AC below 110 volts.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Canton , Mississippi
HowieE

The fan was running and moving air as normal. The filters are clean. This is a new 2008 unit, we have only spent about twelve nights in the unit and never had this problem before.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You say the compressor was cycling more often the normal. That could be an indication of low voltage and the compressor shutting down on high temperature overload.

Be safe and get a voltmeter. The older Airstreams had a n indicator built in them.

If the campground just stuck a 50 amp plug on the old smaller wire that would answer the question.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Canton , Mississippi
You may well be correct. The 50 amp plug box looked pretty old and beat up. The rest of the infrastructure of the campground looked pretty old, so the wiring may be the original wiring and never upgraded.

It was odd in that as soon as the "big" fifth wheel next to me left, the problem went away (less drain on the wiring ???). I hope that was indeed the problem. Since the unit returned to normal operation I hope that is an indication that no harm was done to the unit.