Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Dometic Heat Pump Cycling

I know this is hard to believe -- given the heat -- but I'm up in Maine. This morning it was 57 degrees and I turned on my Dometic heat pump. It ran as usual for about 10 minutes, then shut off. Got a "beep" and checked the CCC. Showed the hourglass. It restarted, then shut off again. The CCC code is "E7" which indicates it's not getting adequate power. I shut off EVERYTHING that was drawing current, verified this with my Progressive Industries Electrical Management System meter which showed I was drawing around 2 amps. Then HP turns on again, and cycles. According to my EMS meter, the park is consistently providing 106-110V. When the HP does work, the meter shows I am pulling 17 amps. It is not running long enough to freeze up and require a recycle to defrost. Trailer has the 15,000 BTU unit. Never had an A/C problem before, or this particular issue. Any of you experts got an answer?
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Hi BAB, try it with both the water heater and fridge on propane. That's as expert as I get. Jim
Old 07-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Think I found the answer. If I turn off the EMS the HP works somewhat more consistently. This tells me that there is probably low voltage going on in this park. I am pretty sure that the Dometic shuts down due to insufficient power....which is why it throws the E7 code. My guess it may be cyclical which is why it's intermittent. Will check at my next stop (if it's cool enough!). Perhaps by posting this I may solve someone else's conundrum..
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
Retired USAF (kinda)

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meridian , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
Think I found the answer. If I turn off the EMS the HP works somewhat more consistently. This tells me that there is probably low voltage going on in this park. I am pretty sure that the Dometic shuts down due to insufficient power....which is why it throws the E7 code. My guess it may be cyclical which is why it's intermittent. Will check at my next stop (if it's cool enough!). Perhaps by posting this I may solve someone else's conundrum..
BAB,
Send some of that cool air to Idaho; we're working on our third straight week @ 100+!

The same thing happened to us this past week in Hells Canyon, except we were running the A/C. A/C shuts down, flashing E7 code, breaker tripped in converter panel. Figured the problem was running the Microwave (dinner time) the same time the A/C compressor was going -- too much load? Since then we've ran one or the other, but not both together, and it seems to have solved the problem.
av8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Follow up. If the water heater and / or fridge are operating on electric, they will operate intermittently, which I found to be the cause of my AC shutting down intermittently when the camp ground had low power. I also have to remember to switch to propane when I am running off the inverter due to the extra power draw. Jim
Old 07-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
106-110 VAC huh? That is really LOW!

As voltage drops, your amperage increases for a given power specification like a motor or compressor: P=IE or Power (watts) = Voltage X Amperage.

In order to maintain the wattage draw in a low voltage situation, the amperage has to increase. Your CCC-II is seeing that condition and shutting the unit down to protect the components from over-amping (this would also trip your 20 amp circuit breaker for the A/C).

Just be glad that it is shutting down and not frying your compressor!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Lew's right. Even though people call 120 volts "110" all the time, the standard is 120 v. and has been for many decades. 106 v. is too low to operate the system.

Operating the microwave and A/C at the same time can pull too much power. If the A/C (or heat pump) cycles when the microwave is on, you stand a good chance of tripping a breaker. Often you can get away with it, but not forever.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote