Old 07-25-2011, 10:11 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
Our local AS service center has the Safari...took it in Saturday. They said they'd have it back to us by next weekend. Downside is they don't deal with any extended service warranty companies and we'd have to pay them direct then get reimbursed from the warranty people. Ok. I've got no problem with that. So I called Phoenix American Warranty Co this morning to let them know we took it in for repair and got a somewhat rude response from them. They said they wouldn't pay any claim under any circumstance unless it's called in by the service center. When I told them the service center didn't work with extended warranties she said, "take it up with them". (Good thing they are in Miami and I'm in Texas or I'd be standing in their offices right now.) So I spoke to the AS service people here and told them the situation and asked if they'd just call it in, gave them the necessary info and the gal there said she'd ask the svc mgr if he would do that for us. Makes me wonder just what in the heck is with people these days? No one wants to take responsibility for anything anymore.
But after doing some web research on extended service contracts in the RV industry it appears they're not worth the paper they're written on. I'll be surprised if we get any positive response on this claim. What a PITA.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:32 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Yes, I have heard that it's difficult to collect on extended warranties. Another thing I've experienced in our new "slow" economy, is that no one wants to stock any parts anymore....(including items that we all know need to be replaced sooner or later). I can understand why a dealer doesn't want to have alot of money tied up in inventory that could sit there for years, but the result is more inconvenience for customers.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
For generic parts that almost every RV or TT uses, I always go to Holiday World of Mesquite Tx, (about 30 miles from us). They have one of the largest in stock parts and accessories departments I've ever seen. Plus, their on line parts catalog is quite
extensive. But I've yet to be in need of something and find that they don't have it or a suitable substitute in stock.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
Update on the A/C issue;
I left the Safari with the local AS Certified repair place for a week and learned that they were so covered up in hail damage repairs that they weren't going to be able to get to it for a while. So I picked it up and took it to Holiday World. I figured anyone can work on a Dometic A/C so I left it with them. They went thru all the diagnostics I had gone thru and determined that something has gone kaput with the relay board. That would have been my next, and last component to diagnose since I'd tried everything but that. But I figured I'd let someone else mess with it cause it was eating up too much of my time and it's freakishly hot here. They have a nice air conditioned work bay and it's under warranty anyway. They removed the unit from the roof to work on it...something I would not have done but I don't have the facility and gizmos to get it off the roof and onto a workbench. Anyway, they called today and said the new relay board should be in tomorrow and then they'll fire it up and see if it's happy again.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
Got the call today that the AS is ready for pick up. A/C fixed and working properly.
It was the relay board. Makes me wonder, though, what caused it to go kaput.
One never knows on circuit boards. Could have been something as simple as a static discharge from nearby lightening. Anyway...it was the board.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #34

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
It seems that the boards for furnaces, water heaters and refers are all made by the same group of gremlins that don't have a clue how to do a proper solder joint. A cold solder joint is something that can show up any time (usually when you are hundreds of miles from nowhere), and isn't worth finding on the board.

Next time you have that problem get a replacement board from Dinosaur and that'll be the end of the problem.

A beautiful thing is never perfect.
-- Egyptian
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
Good advice Aage...I just got to a point where I decided to throw in the towel and let someone else do the fix. Didn't want to spend any more time up on the roof in 105 degree heat. I looked a the board, knowing it was probably the culprit since I'd tried everything else, and thought..."this is why I bought an extended service contract with a $100 deductible".
Old 08-13-2011, 09:38 AM   #36
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
It seems that the boards for furnaces, water heaters and refers are all made by the same group of gremlins that don't have a clue how to do a proper solder joint. A cold solder joint is something that can show up any time (usually when you are hundreds of miles from nowhere), and isn't worth finding on the board.

Next time you have that problem get a replacement board from Dinosaur and that'll be the end of the problem.
Unfortunately, The great folks at Dinosaur Electronics (good friends of mine, BTW ) don't do A/C control boards.................YET!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:21 PM   #37

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Well, tell em, Lew! They need to get on that. Jeez, there couldn't be too many boards, could there? I mean how many AC unit models do we talk about here? Three, four?

A beautiful thing is never perfect.
-- Egyptian
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:51 PM   #38
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Problem for Dinosaur is............the A/C relay boards are actually the most reliable control boards out there. In my 11 years of RV work, I have only replaced a handful of these as opposed to many more igniter boards in furnaces and water heaters and many, many refrigerator control boards.

It's probably on their radar, but definitely on their back burners....if ya know what I mean..........
Old 08-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
The 'up' side to this repair is that now I know just about everything I need to know about this A/C unit/system so should it malfunction again I should be able to get right to the problem.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #40

Wilmington , Massachusetts
Our AC also died in middle of night. After reset we have error code EE. Tested fuses including one in unit, all seem well. We purchased a replacement CCC. If we install to see if that is the fix will it be damaged by other problems?
Old 07-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #41
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomersRock View Post
Our AC also died in middle of night. After reset we have error code EE. Tested fuses including one in unit, all seem well. We purchased a replacement CCC. If we install to see if that is the fix will it be damaged by other problems?
The 'EE' code on the CCC means that there is a communication error between the CCC and the relay board inside the upper A/C unit. This could be a bad data cable, a bad data cable union, a bad fuse on the relay board, or a bad connection. They are usually not easy to track down.

You can start with a new CCC but it usually does not solve the problem. I would check the fuse on the relay board first, then try to connect a new data cable from the CCc to the upper unit. You will have to remove the air distribution box located under the unit inside your trailer to access the connections for this.

If the new cable works, you will then either have to replace the data cable or
try to find out why the existing cable failed and replace that.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:56 AM   #42

Wilmington , Massachusetts
As a followup, the relay and one of the wires were bad. Repairs: $500Thanks for the help.