Old 09-01-2016, 01:36 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Dometic Brisk Air II Condensation Leak?

We recently installed a new Dometic B59516.XX1C0 Brisk II in our '79 AS Excella (ground-up renovation) and today when we turned the unit off, then back on 5 minutes later water came out of the ceiling vent holes. I am assuming this is built-up condensation because there has been no rain since we installed the unit here in Nashville (though it has been very humid).

My question: how to avoid this condensation coming through the ceiling vents? It was quite a bit of water, enough that I had to mop it off the floor.

The previous A/C unit (and Armstrong TR24) had a hose that connected to it that drained the condensation down below the trailer. I wonder if this dometic A/C unit has a similar "bleed" nozzle that I could connect this existing pipe to?

Old 09-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Austin , Texas
Yes, there is a kit with two cups to catch condensate that then flows thru plastic tube into the return box, then out the side into the ceiling where the tubing connects to down pipe headed thru floor

Sent from my iPhone
David & Diane

Old 09-02-2016, 07:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
If you installed the new Air conditioner without any after-market condensate capture device, then the condensate should be draining out of a hole on either side of the unit and running down the outside of your trailer. The way that both of the condensate capture systems (the older "pan" and the more modern "cups") work is they catch the condensate that drips out of the afore mentioned holes, and then funnel it inside the trailer and down the condensate drain tube that was originally installed inside the wall.

I have some theories as to what is going on, but need more information...

Who did the installation (was it you, or someone else)?

Was a condensate catch pan or condensate capture cups used?

Do you see water dripping down the outside of the trailer after the unit has been run for a while?

When you say a lot of water was released, can you be more specific, ie., half a cup, a full cup, a liter? Did the water drip out of the unit, or did it pour?

How long has it been since the unit was installed?

Was this your first time running it since the install?

Are you sure the unit was only shut off for 5 minutes?

Did the water start to drip immediately after the unit was shut off, or only after it was turned back on again?

Did anyone go in and out of the door?
Old 09-03-2016, 07:06 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
If you installed the new Air conditioner without any after-market condensate capture device, then the condensate should be draining out of a hole on either side of the unit and running down the outside of your trailer. The way that both of the condensate capture systems (the older "pan" and the more modern "cups") work is they catch the condensate that drips out of the afore mentioned holes, and then funnel it inside the trailer and down the condensate drain tube that was originally installed inside the wall.

I have some theories as to what is going on, but need more information...
Thank you for your help!

Quote:
Who did the installation (was it you, or someone else)?
It was myself and my brother (we are the ones that renovated the entire trailer over the past two years)

Quote:
Was a condensate catch pan or condensate capture cups used?
We haven't used any aftermarket solution to capture the condensation, so it's just dripping out as it normally would, down the side of the AS.

Quote:
Do you see water dripping down the outside of the trailer after the unit has been run for a while?
I haven't seen water dripping down the side after the unit has been shut off for a while, but the very first time we turned the unit on after installing it, after a while there was a pretty constant stream of water running down the side of the AS. Enough for a trip down to the ground (off the shell) once every few seconds.

Quote:
When you say a lot of water was released, can you be more specific, ie., half a cup, a full cup, a liter? Did the water drip out of the unit, or did it pour?
It was probably a 1/2 cup, and it poured.

Quote:
How long has it been since the unit was installed?
About 6 days since the initial install.

Quote:
Was this your first time running it since the install?
No, it had been continually running since we got here to Nashville (very hot here right now).

Quote:
Are you sure the unit was only shut off for 5 minutes?
It may have been less than 5 minutes.

Quote:
Did the water start to drip immediately after the unit was shut off, or only after it was turned back on again?
Only after it was turned back on again?

Quote:
Did anyone go in and out of the door?
It's possible, but honestly I can't say for certain. Are you thinking there might have been some interaction between extreme temperature differentials?
Old 09-03-2016, 11:15 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2014 31' Classic
Hot Springs , Arkansas
If the blower vent on the bottom of our unit is not completely open ours will dispense water into the floor.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
One of two things seems to be happening (both problems many other owners have experienced).

Many of us have experienced the issue where the unit seems to retain condensate, and then when the unit is turned off, it is suddenly released. In some cases it is released to the condensate drainage system, in others it drips into the interior as well. Typically if you can find the right combination of fan speed and vent openings/directions, you will see that you get a steady drip from your condensate capture hose, or in your case down the outside of the trailer, and you won't have any drip to the inside, or any burst of drainage when you turn off the AC. I don't run my fan on max anymore, and no longer have this problem.

If it is just dripping to the inside, not streaming, then I would suggest that what is happening is the plastic duct in the AC that is used to draw in air is getting cooler and cooler the longer you run the system. In theory, if you have your trailer fairly well sealed up, then the air in the trailer should become less and less humid as it gets passed through the AC unit.

Now, if you walk out of the front door, a volume of nice humid air enters your trailer. When this air gets sucked into your AC intake, it is going to encounter that cold plastic, and some of that humidity is going to condense in the intake. Perhaps if the AC is kept running the constant rush of air keeps those drops of condensate stuck to the plastic intake duct, so when you turn it off, the water is then able to drip down. It is unexpected that you would see the drips only after turning the AC back on again, though.

My AC unit is only a couple of years old. I recently pulled the shroud off of it, and observed that on each side of the unit, there are coolant lines or wires that penetrate from the outside into the air intake side of the AC unit. The factory used some kind of very mobile butyl to seal the hole around the penetrations, and in only a couple years' time, that butyl had sagged enough to allow outside air to get sucked directly into my AC. I got rid of a lot of my dripping when I sealed these up.

So next time you experience this bit of dripping, try to identify exactly where it is coming from, and whether it corresponds to the intake side of the AC or not.

good luck!
Old 09-10-2016, 11:10 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Well, I did a bit of detective work and am no closer to figuring out why the condensation leaked in from the vents that one time, but I did learn a lot about where the condensate congregates in the AC unit!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1473527292.438401.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	271375Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1473527311.507420.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	271376

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1473527324.170796.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	271377

And this seems to be the "cup" where it all congregates and drips out the outside:

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1473527333.256872.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	271378

While I was up there I did find a missing rivet hole that perhaps some water was leaking into, I plugged that up.

Thanks for your help everyone, case closed for now.