Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2018, 01:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Bullhead city , Arizona
Dometic Blizzard install questions/help

Hey all,

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm installing a Dometic NXT Blizzard 15k BTU model in my '74 sovereign. The issue is I am not getting power to the thermostat. Like, the screen is blank/no lights/etc. Here's what I can tell you:
  • It's model H551816 with thermostat 3314082 (CCCII).
  • I'm running a PD4560 panel, fresh 12/3 marine-grade wire for the AC, on its own breaker.
  • The 12V is being pulled from the stock, pink 12V circuit.
  • I am getting a 12V and 120V at the board up in the AC.
  • I have tried 2 separate Dometic CCCII thermostats. Neither get power.
  • I have tried 3 comm cables, including the two that came with the AC.

I have an appointment with an 'Authorized Dometic Service Center' in mid July, the earliest available. I'd love to get this fixed before then. Can anyone point me to how I can verify if it's the board that's bad? Or something on my end? Or am I missing something super obvious? Like the 'On' button?

Thanks Fam.
Teacher_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:27 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
I have just installed a Dometic Penguin 11 into our 2012, compressor went on last unit.
Not sure what you have there but if you have a telephone cable that runs through the frame to the unit and the thermostat, could that be your power problem. The power small that it is comes down that line, easy test just get one you know that works and plug it into both connectors.
Another thought is, I had to get a newer Dometic thermostat that would work with my new ac. Apparently my old one was not compatible. Could this be the issue.
Just thought I would share these ideas.
Cheers,
James.
jmpgino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher_Man View Post
Hey all,

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm installing a Dometic NXT Blizzard 15k BTU model in my '74 sovereign. The issue is I am not getting power to the thermostat. Like, the screen is blank/no lights/etc. Here's what I can tell you:
  • It's model H551816 with thermostat 3314082 (CCCII).
  • I'm running a PD4560 panel, fresh 12/3 marine-grade wire for the AC, on its own breaker.
  • The 12V is being pulled from the stock, pink 12V circuit.
  • I am getting a 12V and 120V at the board up in the AC.
  • I have tried 2 separate Dometic CCCII thermostats. Neither get power.
  • I have tried 3 comm cables, including the two that came with the AC.

I have an appointment with an 'Authorized Dometic Service Center' in mid July, the earliest available. I'd love to get this fixed before then. Can anyone point me to how I can verify if it's the board that's bad? Or something on my end? Or am I missing something super obvious? Like the 'On' button?

Thanks Fam.
Did you get this issue resolved. How do you like the Blizzard?
Thanks,
Old 04-08-2019, 08:50 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Bullhead city , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
Did you get this issue resolved. How do you like the Blizzard?
Thanks,
Yessir, it was finally resolved. It took getting the right customer service person - Hector. He took the time to put me on hold and to speak with one of their technicians, who knew immediately what the issue was. Their units take a proprietary cable to communicate between the AC unit and the thermostat. My issue ended up being that cable - a replacement fixed all of the communication issues.

We've been full-timing with the unit since August. I can tell you that I'm happy with the unit. It blows cold as heck all, which is fine. It's a bit loud, but I figured that'd be the case given how thin our roofs. The thermostat is fancy and tends to be a bit finicky, but that might be my fall mounting it on the opposite of the shower, so it gets a bit of moisture. In the future, I'd mount the unit in my back living space to keep the unit more dry and the temperature more stable. But that was an issue with my installation, not Dometics.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Quote:
Yessir, it was finally resolved. It took getting the right customer service person - Hector. He took the time to put me on hold and to speak with one of their technicians, who knew immediately what the issue was. Their units take a proprietary cable to communicate between the AC unit and the thermostat. My issue ended up being that cable - a replacement fixed all of the communication issues.

We've been full-timing with the unit since August. I can tell you that I'm happy with the unit. It blows cold as heck all, which is fine. It's a bit loud, but I figured that'd be the case given how thin our roofs. The thermostat is fancy and tends to be a bit finicky, but that might be my fall mounting it on the opposite of the shower, so it gets a bit of moisture. In the future, I'd mount the unit in my back living space to keep the unit more dry and the temperature more stable. But that was an issue with my installation, not Dometics.
Excellent, I'm planning to install one of these units in my 34' Airstream and I want all of the cold that I can get. I suspect that it will be at least as quiet as the 13,500 BTU Penguin now installed in the trailer.

Thanks,
Old 04-10-2019, 09:11 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Bullhead city , Arizona
Quote:
Excellent, I'm planning to install one of these units in my 34' Airstream and I want all of the cold that I can get. I suspect that it will be at least as quiet as the 13,500 BTU Penguin now installed in the trailer.

Thanks,
Im very happy with that aspect, but we haven't had to really test it yet (been in Norcal the past 8 months). I'll have better data on that after the summer, but I think you'll be happy.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Quote:
Im very happy with that aspect, but we haven't had to really test it yet (been in Norcal the past 8 months). I'll have better data on that after the summer, but I think you'll be happy.
I finished installing the Blizzard NXT heat pump model on my 34' trailer and so far I'm extremely pleased! [emoji106]Click image for larger version

Name:	20190605_154035.jpeg
Views:	215
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	342747Click image for larger version

Name:	20190606_180356.jpeg
Views:	203
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	342748Click image for larger version

Name:	20190607_194758.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	342750
Old 06-09-2019, 10:07 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Bullhead city , Arizona
Quote:
I finished installing the Blizzard NXT heat pump model on my 34' trailer and so far I'm extremely pleased! [emoji106]
Nice work on the install! We're just ending a 3 week trip from California to Wisconsin, and the AC has worked very well. If I may ask, how far away is the thermostat from the cold air distributor?
Old 06-10-2019, 08:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Quote:
Nice work on the install! We're just ending a 3 week trip from California to Wisconsin, and the AC has worked very well. If I may ask, how far away is the thermostat from the cold air distributor?
The thermostat is about seven feet aft of the air distribution box. It's down a hallway and and in the rear bedroom on a bulkhead wall that's behind the closet.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Nicely done. Glad to see more Blizzard NXTs installed. I just finished mine as well earlier this year. Ready for the hot Southern California summer which is off to a late start this year.

I have a non-heat pump model installed with the following part numbers. Looks like mine has a different capacitive touch (CT) thermostat. Not my favorite interface with very little tactile feel, but I'm getting use to it.

1 H541916W Blizzard NXT AC PW SZLCD
1 3314850.000 Non-ducted ADB Kit
1 3316250000 Dometic Thermostat, CT STD-WHT-Boxed

Click image for larger version

Name:	ASthermostat.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	342999

I'm even happier to know that a single Honda eu2200i will run this thing on hi fan speed with an easystart installed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ASACGenny.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	488.2 KB
ID:	343000

Game changing single A/C performance, with a lightweight and efficient generator.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote