Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2016, 07:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Dometic Air Conditioner

Currently on the road and stopped at a KOA for the night. I have a 2015 19 ft Bambi. I tried to turn on the air conditioner and code E4 is showing/blinking on the thermostat and I can not get any mode to come on. Any suggestions? It was working yesterday(the Air conditioner). I'm currently plugged in to a 30 amp. Thanks.
Mark
Lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:40 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Classic
Fayetteville , North Carolina
E4 means the defrost sensor is the problem, this is located up in the unit on the roof.
Lets travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:05 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Code E4 Dometic

Thanks. So if it is on the roof, what needs to be done up there ? Reset it or can it be be reset at the thermostat?
Mark
Old 07-27-2016, 09:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets travel View Post
E4 means the defrost sensor is the problem, this is located up in the unit on the roof.
Actually, the defrost sensor is located IN the evaporator coils. It's also called a freeze sensor and is a metal cylinder about the thickness of a lead pencil, perhaps 2" long with IIRC a thin, white duplex wire coming from it . It is pressure fit between the fins at the front of the evaporator.

As they rarely go bad, I would suspect that either the plastic snap-in connector has come loose or it has lost contact with the upper relay control board.

You will have to remove the upper shroud along with the styrofoam cover over the evaporator section and then the plastic eval. housing to access the freeze sensor.

If you have non-ducted air, you might also be able to access it by dropping the air distribution box that's located on your ceiling.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:32 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Actually, the defrost sensor is located IN the evaporator coils. It's also called a freeze sensor and is a metal cylinder about the thickness of a lead pencil, perhaps 2" long with IIRC a thin, white duplex wire coming from it . It is pressure fit between the fins at the front of the evaporator.

As they rarely go bad, I would suspect that either the plastic snap-in connector has come loose or it has lost contact with the upper relay control board.

You will have to remove the upper shroud along with the styrofoam cover over the evaporator section and then the plastic eval. housing to access the freeze sensor.

If you have non-ducted air, you might also be able to access it by dropping the air distribution box that's located on your ceiling.
Thanks for the details. I will try to check it out.
Mark
Old 07-28-2016, 01:36 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Classic
Fayetteville , North Carolina
Thanks Lewster, I was hoping you would jump in.
Lets travel is offline   Reply With Quote