Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Sarasota , Florida
Send a message via AIM to wille Send a message via Yahoo to wille
Dometic AC leak

My Dometic AC is leaking in my AS. Any suggestions?
wille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:28 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Sarasota , Florida
Is there a way to unclog the drain tube?
Old 08-09-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Austin , Texas
I woke up this morning to Lake Bambi, inside my AS.. This is not good. I have a 2008 Bambi that I have been camping and living in for the past several months trouble free. This morning I woke up and it was raining, from the dometic 13.5 AC. Knowing about the drain tube from reading many posts in the Airstream Forums I decided to check the drain tube. It was ease to blow a little air from the outside in showing that there where no obstructions. It continues to rain. Placing my hand up through the holes for the filters, I can feel a lot of mosture. This is the second time camping here in Port Aransas and the first time having this problem. Oh and to answer the other thread about where are tha airstreams, there is a 16' Bambi parked on the other side of the park.
c177tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Sarasota , Florida
Talking Fixed!

I took a starightened coat hanger and pushed up the drain hose on the outsde and pushed, twisted and pulled and there were a bunch of leaves and dirt came out. It must have been a dirt dobber or some creature built a nest in there. Problem solved here.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Austin , Texas
I took the inside cover off and was able to get a closer look at where the drain hose connects to the plastic drain pan. There was a lot of grey colored calking around the nipple. I could see that water was coming from this area. I took the calking off and found a crack in the plastic. I believe that this calking was applied at the factory to cover up this crack. There would be no reason to calk the nipple if it where not cracked. I have attempted a tempory repair by using a two part epoxy clay called "AquaMend" a underwater repair epoxy putty stick that says it will bond with many plastics. I will attempt to upload the pictures of the before and after
c177tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:07 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Sarasota , Florida
I had the same caulking, but that wasn't the problem. If you still have the dripping, check your drain hose, which is in front of the tires. My blockage was 12" up in the hose.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wille View Post
My Dometic AC is leaking in my AS. Any suggestions?
Use compressed air from the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2121.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	85191  
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:17 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Wimberley , Texas
I don't know if your were at the Pioneer, but if you were that was our Bambi on the other side of the park and our A/C was leaking also. Our Daughter and her husband were down there canping for 10 days during that time. Please let me know what you found. Thanks!
Grumpycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:06 PM   #9

Rowland Heights , California
Loose AC drain tube under the hood

Hi All,

After trying to blow clean the clogged AC drain tube from underneath the Sprinter, I found out the other end with a right angle connector is loose hanging inside the hood. Could someone point out to me where this drain tube supposed to connect before it became loose.

Thank you,
Tom.
tom_tui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:42 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Wimberley , Texas
I noticed you haven't recieved an answer, I don't know if I can help but I'll try. Mine is a Dometic Penguin 13,500 and the hose is connected to a small plastic pan almost centered in the opening and has a small hose clamp and a bounch of caulking around it. If that is the same as yours be careful it sounds like it is easy to break.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:56 AM   #11

Hello Grumpycamper,

Thank you for your reply! I just obtained the Dometic Duo-Therm wiring and parts list this morning, and I noticed there's no drain tube location specified in the assembly drawing, how odd!

Anyway, a few questions in your mail. You mentioned the hose is connected to the plastic pan, is this small plastic pan in the engine compartment, exterior AC? Or, interrer AC?

There's a drain tube photo from earlier post, my other end of that tube is loose under the hood, and I looked and couldn't find where I should plug it back into. Airstream tech support swears that drain tube goes all the way to the roof top AC, and doesn't go any where under the hood. And the only place I see caulking is from inside the coach around blower area...

By reading the Dometic parts list, my actual problem is condensation isn't drained properly through the drain tube, it's condensing and dripping from the 'suction line' into the pan. After 30 minutes or so, it forms a puddle of water on the rooftop and comes down through the rain gutter. I could already see rust forming on the metal roof top... My appointment to the dealership to get this look at is still 2 weeks away, any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Tom.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:40 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Wimberley , Texas
Tom, what I described is the pan in the middle of the 14" opening in your roof. There should be a plastic drain pan under your roof mounted A/C with a hose attached that goes through the wall and under the vehicle. It sounds like yours is a motor coach? The roof mount A/C sholdn't have anything to do with the engine compartment. It sounds like someone may have mounted the A/C without a drip pan which would explain the hose hanging loose. I hope this clarifies it a bit, if not let me know and I'll try again. Trust me I know about some things but roof top air is new to me and I'm having problems of my own. Maybe someone else will add to it. Good luck!
Old 09-30-2009, 11:54 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Is that roof air mounted in a mo/ho?
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:30 PM   #14

Yes, it is a Dometic A/C mounted on a 2005 Airstream Interstate. I really appreciate everyone's help here, thanks! ^_^
Old 10-01-2009, 08:40 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Wimberley , Texas
Tom, you will have to take off the metal plate that is up against the ceiling to see what is going on. Turn off power to the A/C and remove the three screws, two in front and one in back. You may want to use a power screwdriver, they are really long. you should be able to unplug the wire coming down from the unit to the switches and the plate should hang from the power supply so you will be able to see the drip pan. If it is cracked or if the hose bib is broken off you need to repair it. I have read about several products to repair it with, I used marine adhesive silicon. A word of caution, the unit will sit there no problem, but the three screws are all that holds the unit on.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:58 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
1 , Washington
Crack

So, what became of this? I discovered the same sort of crack on my 2005 dometic ac. The drain tube is still connected, but there is a crack in the pan. The difference is that rain water is dripping through the crack, very slowly. What should I use to repair the crack, and is it possible to find a replacement pan? I can't find what part number it is...
Once I repair the crack, should I be looking for a leak from the top of the unit since rain is getting in? Or does rain water normally just drain out of the tube connected. Thanks so much for any response.
Clar7135 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning