Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Dometic AC getting incorrect temp readout

this morning i woke up in a meat locker! *brrrr*

i have dual ac units. 15k/13.5 12 button thermostat . the rear one works fine.

the front one is displaying incorrect inside/outside temps. the outside is constantly showing a lower temp but is rising as the outside temp is also rising. the inside temp is showing a constant -5* but after testing it many times it will disolay the correct temps for a split second or two.

i've powered off the trailer and the 12v and reset the init. thermostat settings with no change. the unit continues to run. also the fan speed setting could be set to low but the fan continues to run at high speed.

any suggestions?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I've had problems with the similar system in our '10 31'. Several technicians checked things, and never fixed it. In desperation, I called Dometic, and talked with a nice, friendly, customer service rep type person who was no help. Finially asked for a supervisor to call me back, and then after explaining what all had been done with no success, he explained to me the whole system works as a computer, and is powered from the front AC unit (12 volts) over the small telephone four conductor (22 ga wire) with the little telephone clip-in connectors. The problem is, neither the wire or the connectors are of sufficent size to provide the needed 12 volt DC amps to power and control the thermostate/computer. The symtom of the display going out on your thermostate is one of insufficent power to the unit.

My problem was a bad connection at one of the telephone connectors in a cuppling block under the inside cover of the front AC unit. Replaced it with a $7 piece from Radio Shack, and it has been working ever since.

Hope this is of some help.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Concentrate on the connectors as the wire size would have no effect on the signal necessary to power any digital control system.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
ok, thanks guys!

i went out for a while any played with some other projects for a few hours. now it is working again. i'm not sure if i'm happy or sad lol.

yes, i know those connectors are an issue. i wonder if was all the humidity yesterday.

oh well, now i know where to start when it happens again.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
oh btw, the display never went out. it just was waaaaaay off.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
ok, it happened again tonight so i dropped the inside cover and played with the two connectors. naturally the connector with the problem had the least slack. i rechecked the temp readings anf they were now correct. i out the cover back on and it lost the correct reading for the outside temp. so i'll be replacing those connectors.

it was pretty moist in there. can the connectors be wrapped somehow to help seal them? also i noticed that the metal box for the 120v is hanging loose in there. it that how they're supposed to be? i found two of the cover screw holes were stripped out at the factory and one screw was missing. at least the diagnostics are done :-)