Old 08-16-2016, 10:00 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Chelsea , Alabama
Dometic A/C compressor not starting

Hello Group,
This has most likely been asked a 101 different ways before but, my A/C recently stopped working. It is an older unit(1993) but was working great. I came home the other day and cut the unit on so that it would be cool later that afternoon. When I came back, the fan was running but was not cooling. I recycled with no luck. My next thought was to replace the capsitors on the unit. I carefully replaced wire for wire and still no luck. Last night I disconnected the 30amp service and pulled the cover off the compressor to check the connection and to see if the compressor was shorted/grounded It was not. I plugged the unit back in and turned it on and do not feel the compressor running or a cold low pressure line. I have inspected the board for something that might be burned or shorted. I have also looked around for a oily spot that could be the signs of a refrigerant leak with no luck. At this point I am open for suggestions? Any ideas as to where to go next? Thanks Jeff

drjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
4 weeks ago the same problem. Does your unit have a low voltage light on the control panel. Mine did and it was lit even though the voltage was good.

I found a little water along the lower edge of the board, no idea where that came from. No fan and the low voltage light was lite. During many attempts I got the fan to start for seconds and then stop.

I gave up and ordered a new one because the board was nowhere to be found. A few years back I would have torn into it to find out what was the problem.

2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:05 PM   #3
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
If you're experienced enough to work on electrical equipment safely while it's energized, you can measure the voltage between the common and "run" connections to the compressor, and separately the common and "start" connection, while the unit is starting. Be careful since the start voltage can be well over 200 VAC due to the inductive effects of the starting coil. It is also useful to measure the current in these circuits.

If the voltages look OK but there's no current in one or the other then the compressor is shot. Not unusual for them to go bad after that many years, usually due to cumulative and progressive breakdown of the stator insulation.

A 1993 unit is new enough to be a standard 14" square opening, so I would just replace the whole thing if the compressor is shot.
To learn to see below the surface, you must adjust your altitude
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote