Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Does your AS have an Exhaust Pipe?

Our 64 Safari has an exhaust pipe. I installed Hydronic heating by Precision Temp, TwinTemp JR. 55,000 BTU propane burner and 1,500 watt electric AC element and three heat exchangers. Space heating plus instant and continuous hot water. We spent the spring in 22 degree weather and were comfy and cozy inside. Plus all the hot water the wife could use. It only takes up about the same space inside as the 6-gal water heater did. It is considerably quieter & more efficient than a blast furnace that cooks the air and make your hair stand on end. No kidding this has been the best single investment I have made to the retro fit of our rig. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking to upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8202.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	191527   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8396.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	191529  

batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:52 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
That's very sexy, but it costs more than I paid for Il Progetto! I guess there's a fan running whenever the burner is on to exhaust downward... I see that the downward-facing exhaust is the norm on their specs. Does your thermostat for heating turn on a water circulating pump and the TwinTemp fires the burner when it detects water flow? How about fans at the heat exchangers, or are they convective?

It looks like a nice upgrade for after we pay off my partner's student loans.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
It actually circulated hot boiler fluid (special antifreeze) though Pex tubing to the heat exchangers, the main unit has sensors that detect the correct temp to turn on the fans, and each of the heat echagers has 2 small fans to blow air across the heating fins. The instant hot water has a separate chamber but uses the same burner source. The thermostat just works the space heat function. The hot water is on demand, it does have a very small tank for the start then the blower kicks on. It is wonderful.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Welcome to the wonderful world of RV hydronic heating! Once you experience it, no other heat source will satisfy.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
But can you boon dock with it, or does it require too much power?
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Ventport,
We boon dock all the time. It works primarily on 12v for the fans and igniter and propane for the main burner. The 110 ac is only used when we are hooked up and is used to warm the tank and supplement the propane burner but is not necessary.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:05 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
It is winter again and the temps have plunged into the 20's. We love the Twin Temp jr. Best investment ever!