Old 01-13-2014, 11:01 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
1 , Washington
Cracks!

So, after finding this thread, and a few more it looks like I am suffering from the same pan drips as everyone else. Let me clarify, that my drips are coming from rain water as well. I took some photos of the process of finding these small cracks for the next guy this happens to (Something tells me I wont be the last.) And to save him time, here is how I discovered my AC Plastic Cracks:

Step 1) Remove the plastic interior shroud attached to your interior roof (phillips screws)

Step 2) (photo 1) Find drip on Metal plate. They will find the lowest point (it could be coming out of a screw hole)

Step 3) (Photo 2) Using a 10mm socket and a drill bit attachment, because these are long bolts, remove 3 long bolts that attach metal plate to ceiling. Note: By removing these you are removing how your AC is attached to your ceiling so dont try and drive off. And another more IMPORTANT NOTE don't try to tighten these bolts up with your drill, just torque them by hand. There should be a "50% gasket compression."

Step 4) (Photo 3) Find the black, plastic drip pan, that connects to a hose feeding out to the "drivers side" of tow rig

Step 5) (Photo 4 Back side) Look for small hairline crack(s). I found a total of 3 in my plastic piece of crap drip pan. I removed the grey caulking around the tube to get a good look at whats going on in there.

This is where I am stuck

STEP 6 Where can I find a new plastic drain pan, or what should I patch these cracks up with that will be a long term strong fix. I am all about doing it right the first time...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00663.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	203511   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00669.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	203512  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00671.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	203513   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00676.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	203514  

Old 01-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
I had the same problem in my former Classic 25. I was able to use Marine Goop to seal everything and never had a problem after that. Marine Goop will even bond to wet surfaces.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
1 , Washington
"Marine Goop" Is that really the name of it?
Old 01-13-2014, 11:15 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
1 , Washington
Well, after a quick google search it looks like "Marine goop" is the name and its about 8 bucks on amazon. This could be a good option. I'm going to call a dealer to see if I can get an entirely new drain pan.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:24 AM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
It's actually called "Amazing Goop" with several packaging labels, including RV, Marine, etc. But if you compare the technical data for RV, Marine, and Automotive, they're all identical, only the label is different. I haven't compared the technical data for the other labelings, but I'd be surprised if they were different. So, look for "Amazing Goop" and don't worry whether the package says Marine, RV, or whatever. If the price is different (anything labeled "Marine" usually is more expensive) get whichever "version" is cheapest.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Actually, all the varieties of Goop were side by side at the store and were exactly the same price. Only the Marine Goop label specified that it bonded to wet surfaces, so that is what I bought. It did bond to the outlet of the AC pan where there was still a bit of seepage.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:30 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Chico , California
I'm curious about the conditions during which your A/C units were leaking: driving, driving in rain, A/C on or off?
I've experienced significant water leaking in through the A/C unit, but only when driving in a significant rainstorm…..
Old 03-08-2014, 07:31 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by reshecca View Post
I'm curious about the conditions during which your A/C units were leaking: driving, driving in rain, A/C on or off?
I've experienced significant water leaking in through the A/C unit, but only when driving in a significant rainstorm…..
Your problem sounds more like the gasket between the A/C unit and the roof.

Ours leaked while running in especially humid conditions, and when we got rain in addition to it running. It leaked worse when there was a wind driven rain from the road side of the trailer (I think the rain was coming in the extra cooling holes in the shroud on that side of the bigger A/C unit).
Old 03-08-2014, 07:38 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Sarasota , Florida
It was during the FL summer. Unit was running a lot. I pick up the Airstream today from a service. They checked the air and said they just had to tighten something. I'll find out exactly what it was and share later today.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:13 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by reshecca View Post
We would experience the problem when running the A/C (under all weather conditions, regardless if it was humid or not). Airstream service centers stock the component that is the failure (the failure results from the plastic component cracking over time).