Old 09-04-2008, 11:12 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Does A/C need additional braces?

I have a new 15K Carrier L/P AirV A/C to replace the old Coleman unit on my Overlander. I noticed that on the old unit the skin was bowed down by the foam gasket at the rear of the unit. Is this a problem. Should I somehow add bracing? With all the wiring this might be difficult.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1550.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	66828

Old 09-04-2008, 12:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hey Vernon,

It's hard for me to tell from the picture exactly what you're talking about, but I can tell you that when I replaced my AC, there were supporting frame members to either side of the 14x14 opening, but fore and aft, the previous installer (perhaps Terry?) had placed a couple of pieces of wood that were 1.5" high, to brace between the exterior skin and the interior skin. I've seen that method recommended several times on this board, and I think it might have mentioned that in the instructions as well.

Did your installation have those pieces of wood between the two skins?

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I would add fore/aft facing stringers next to the a/c body below the skin. The wiring can usually be gently persuaded to stay out of the way.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:32 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Hey Vernon,

It's hard for me to tell from the picture exactly what you're talking about, but I can tell you that when I replaced my AC, there were supporting frame members to either side of the 14x14 opening, but fore and aft, the previous installer (perhaps Terry?) had placed a couple of pieces of wood that were 1.5" high, to brace between the exterior skin and the interior skin. I've seen that method recommended several times on this board, and I think it might have mentioned that in the instructions as well.

Did your installation have those pieces of wood between the two skins?
Marcus,

There was nothing between the inner and outer skins except the one rib on the fore end. I put an arrow on the picture to show the roof sheet bowing down in the middle. The white is the foam gasket on the old unit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1550b.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	66832

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe View Post
I would add fore/aft facing stringers next to the a/c body below the skin. The wiring can usually be gently persuaded to stay out of the way.
Uwe,

Is wood good enough or should I try to find some aluminum channel? I know not to use pressure treated. I will not need one on the fore end as the 14x14 opening is right at a rib.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:38 PM   #5
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
I used a piece of 1 by oak to form a support.
One, on the front end in mine.
The back was fine next to the rib.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Okay, now I see what you're talking about.

On my installation, there are cross-pieces (horizontal braces between the ribs) just an inch or so to the port and starboard side of the 14x14 opening. I believe this is fairly standard for many Airstreams from many years.

But there are not any ribs close to the fore or aft side, so as I said before, there were two pieces of wood that spanned (almost) the width of the opening, and were the perfect 1.5" high to space between the exterior and interior skin. I did not witness any deflection at all such as what you show in your picture.

Uwe is far more knowledgeable than I am, but I can tell you that the wooden spacers used on my intallation are probably stronger than the alumimum ribs that support the other two sides. And if necessary, you can cut it shorter than the full width of the opening to allow for wires to pass to one side or the other (or both, I suppose).

When I installed my new Carrier L/P, I also bought some really inexpensive foam plumbing insulation as an anti-chafing mechanism to pad the wire harness as it passed in and around the sharp edges of the aluminum in the 14x14 opening.

Hope that helps!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The installation instructions for my Penguin called for adding wooden bracing