Old 02-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #15
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Forgot to mention, if you travel to a high altitude you may need heat even in Arizona or California in summer.

So if you travel at all might as well be prepared.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Good point, Ganaraska.

We've pulled out the original, and very dead, furnace but left the casing and ducting in place. We'll get by with a space heater or wall-mount a catalytic heater to take the edge off the cold if we need to. Later on, we'll decide what our more permanent solution will be.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:51 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Heater? Who needs a heater?

Hi, we are from Southern California where the temps are moderate, but I bought my trailer to go places and be adventurous. If you plan on just staying close to home, maybe you can get by without a furnace. We can't. Furnaces help keep your tanks from freezing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1138 (Large).JPG
Views:	47
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	95835   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1088 (Large).JPG
Views:	47
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	95836  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1148 (Large).JPG
Views:	49
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	95837   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0153 (Large).JPG
Views:	44
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	95838  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:11 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
I`ve had my 77 Overlander for a few years,had never tried the furnace,then we went camping New Year`s weekend.When ir got down to 32,we were very glad it worked.
No matter how far south you get ,sometimes it nice to have heat. Dave
Old 02-09-2010, 08:21 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Heater in Tradewind

That's what I'm talking about, setting the thermostat and letting the heater go whhoosh! If I'm pulled off the side of the road at a Walmart then I want heat even if I can't plug in to shore power. Ordered a new NT30sp so will be doing that modification before the Texas Rally this weekend where freezing temps are predicted (even near Houston).
Old 02-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Traveling north from Florida to Virginia - needed to take a nap - and the inside of my trailer was so cold that the foam mattress was like a brick. Turned the furnace on to 50 degrees - just enough to stop my breath from freezing and slept fine under a heavy quilt. Woke up when the propane ran out....brrrrrrrr.

Backup plan - Honda 1000 generator set up on the ground, locked through the spoke of a wheel with a bicycle lock, extension cord going through the side "garage door" to an electric heater set on the night stand.

You'll always have a need for heat when you least expect to. Glad to hear you are replacing the furnace. They are propane hogs though.

Paula
Old 02-09-2010, 10:07 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We're still not sure that a new furnace would be part of our "permanent" solution. At this point, we don't plan on doing much cold weather camping - nothing we wouldn't have done in a tent.

The second part of my OP asked about how people's plans for their Airstreams have changed. We bought ours as a temporary stationary place on a certain piece of land, but already our ideas are evolving. I'm curious about how other people's uses have expanded from what they originally planned on doing in their Airstreams.

Where has your trailer taken you that you didn't expect to go?
Old 02-09-2010, 10:41 AM   #22
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
We're still not sure that a new furnace would be part of our "permanent" solution. At this point, we don't plan on doing much cold weather camping - nothing we wouldn't have done in a tent.

The second part of my OP asked about how people's plans for their Airstreams have changed. We bought ours as a temporary stationary place on a certain piece of land, but already our ideas are evolving. I'm curious about how other people's uses have expanded from what they originally planned on doing in their Airstreams.

Where has your trailer taken you that you didn't expect to go?
Its hard to imagine not having a heater of some kind if you are doing three season camping. Can you get by without one? Absolutely. But do you just want to get by? Cool mornings, rainy days, chilly evenings are all more pleasant when you can cut the chilly with a few BTUs.

When traveling, I try to spend the majority of the time off the grid, so I tend to rely on a wall heater (True Value close out $50) as my main heat source. Oil heaters can be handy as well, but they do pull the current. The new low profile Carrier AC has a heat strip which is good for bringing up the temp by about 30 degrees over the outside temp. On the downside, it takes a long time to heat things up, uses a ton of power, and is loud. I have a replacement furnace that I am planning on getting installed when time permits. The downside to the furnace is it uses a lot of battery power to run the blower and if you are off the grid you have to do a lot of recharging of batteries.

How have my plans changed? Good heavens, how have they stayed the same? One never knows what life is going to throw out at you. The smart money is on rigging out your airstream for maximum flexibility. Suppose a chance opened up for you to travel to Alaska tomorrow? Or that you needed to travel for an extended period to be with family in a colder place and you wanted to stay in the comfort of your own camper? Why not make your camper a comfortable home where ever life might take you?

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:20 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Heater in Tradewind

So the new NT30SP heater is scheduled for delivery Thursday. My luck since I'm heading out to the Conroe Vintage rally at 11:30, it will probably show up (thank you UPS) bought an hour after I leave forcing a trip back into town to pick er up.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:12 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
We took out the furnace on our redo of the Argosy....we are also not much into snow camping.....on our first trip we bought a Mr Buddy propane portable heater and it worked like a charm. Don't regret taking out the furnace....but as on here you should know....everybody has a different take on each thing. We are not boondockers so we will be getting an a/c put on top with the heat strip so that will also help knock the chill out.
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #25
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
I think this has been mentioned before but if you use any type of fuel burning heater, and it is not vented (no chimney) you are using up the air and possibly creating carbon monoxide. PLEASE open a window slightly and open one of your vents so fresh air can circulate.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Why would you need a heater? My trailer is only under 3 ft of snow till the end of March... Can't even get it out from beside the garage. YEs it's good to have a heater propane heater Just in case there is no Elc.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:39 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Send a message via Skype™ to WILDRTEXAS
I have 1970 International with a surban heater. How do I find the model #? Thanks? I also dont plan to camp in cold climates. Would like le3ave out the furnace when I build a new galley cabinet.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion...

Taylor 1/20/96 - 11/28/08

WILDRTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:51 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
70's Heaters

Chances are you have the dreaded NT22A that had a recall on it due to leaks in the crossover tube. That's what my 72 had in it. Just pitched it in the dumpster Saturday after stripping and giving away any working parts. Yours should be labeled on the front panel but sometimes it's hard to read what's stamped on the label.