Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2004, 03:07 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
Difficult to remove AC?

I was thinking of removing my AC unit, which is very large and unsightly on top of my Safari. It must be a later than stock unit and is at least 12" taller than the roofline, which also presents maneuvering problems where I park. Never need it AC out here in northern Calif (I'm near the coast) and the Northwest so thinking of taking it off.

How does the AC mount and would it be difficult to remove and replace with a more modern Fantastic or similar fan?

Thanks, john
Old 07-01-2004, 06:11 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_safari
I was thinking of removing my AC unit, which is very large and unsightly on top of my Safari. It must be a later than stock unit and is at least 12" taller than the roofline, which also presents maneuvering problems where I park. Never need it AC out here in northern Calif (I'm near the coast) and the Northwest so thinking of taking it off.

How does the AC mount and would it be difficult to remove and replace with a more modern Fantastic or similar fan?

Thanks, john
John the OEM Armstrong unit is held in place by what seems like a thousand rivets, but is probably closer to 100.
The easy way to remove it, other than removing all the rivets, is, of course, to drive under a low tree branch... .
I am not sure about installing a Fantastic in its place, most conversions down here seem to go the other way.
Terry
Old 07-01-2004, 06:18 PM   #3
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
John,
once you remove the shroud, you will gain access to the fasteners that hold the a/c to the roof. usually rivets and vulkem underneath.
The rest comes off from inside the trailer. Don't forget to disconnect the power and also, the integrated drain hose.
My 1971 tradewind has a very low profile a/c, with a contoured shroud that sort of squats on the roof, so it does not look all that offensive. No A/c is definitely a cleaner look, I agree. I only used mine a handful of times, would not miss it a lot either. Maybe once or twice I thought i really needed it.
However, you will loose some resale value, if that's a consideration to you.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Very interesting. I am considering installing a second a/c unit in the rear bedroom pof my 34'. At 95% humidity and 90+ degree heat I wouldn't even consider travel from late May through mid to late September without air. Things are different depending on where you live and travel. Not having to use air does make life a lot simplier.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 07:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
The Fantastic fan fits in a space for a vent so the a/c hole would be too big. You might remove it, putting a riveted and vulkemed cover over the hole so it can be later replaced if you sell or change your mind. What you do to trim out the inside is up to you, maybe a velcro attached cover panel.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 07:04 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
thanks

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't really thought about resale value, so between that and the complexity of removing it, I will probably leave it on there for now. I feel it just ruins the lines of the trailer due to it's height and location toward the rear at the point where the roofline is beginning to taper downward. Maybe a newer low profile unit will eventually solve the problem.

Yes we are fortunate to have low humidity and a nightly breeze most places we camp out here, although there are a few nights each year when it is warm and absolutely still - then it would be handy - but as it goes, I'm usually boondocked without aux power anyway.

john