Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2007, 09:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Cleveland , Tennessee
Differences in NT, SF, SH Furnaces

I am completly redoing my 71 31ft'er. I have searched here and found a wealth of knowledge on furnaces but no real opionons on if there is any notable differences in Suburbans line of furnaces. If there is a thread that covers this please point it to me. It seems most are using the NT series in all of the trailers. I suspect this is because it will fit original location with little modifications. I will not have this problem because I am replacing the exterior skin where the old furnace was so I am open to anything.

So very little useful info on suburbans website am I really open to any of these three models in a appropriate btu output. I like the sound of the SH model because of the low operating noise but it seems hard to find for sale online. The NT models seem to of held up over the test of time so that seems good to. The SF model are very easy to find reasonably priced which is a great thing to I want the most bang for my buck. But what are the negatives from some of you users.

I would like to keep the outside with the small exhaust vent not the door unless there is a big advantage to having a model with a door.

I will be living in this trailer for a year or two then it will be used for camping so it has to work in all conditions. I hate being cold so let the good heat come forth.
Smuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I installed a SF model. It is shorter than the NT models, but i think it has a larger footprint.

You may need to do significant modifications to the cabinetry if you use the SF. Otherwise, no complaints.

Here is a service document with lots of info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Furnace 003.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	36162  
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:10 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Cleveland , Tennessee
Thanks for the info!!! I will be modernizing the trailer with all new layout and cabinets so I am trying to get all the appliances before total cabinet design to make as efficient use of space as possible.

That service document is very helpful.

The sad thing is these units are made about 30 miles from my house. They are not very good with personal questions to the manufacter though.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Sherfield English , Hampshire
Send a message via MSN to Moonstruck Send a message via Yahoo to Moonstruck
Hi Guys!
I have a question about the Suburban furnaces. I read the manual but the tech drawings are not detailed enough to answer my question. I'm importing an Airstream into the UK. I am familiar with the NT arrangement of the inlet/outlet ports set one above the other. However, on mine, a 1989 29' Excella, in addition to these two ports there is a third set about 12" to the left(as seen from the outside) Does this indicate that the low-profile SF is fitted into my trailer and what is the third port for?
Marc
Old 04-25-2007, 07:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
NT is best fit

I've replaced a furnace twice, in a '72 Overlander and a '73 Sovereign. I used an NT 30 to replace the original NT-32 and it fit pretty well with just a few modifications.

I've taken lots of pics which is good, because my memory is pretty foggy. I paid aroud $300 for it from Palomino about a year ago. We were up in Hiawassee and it worked great.

The SF series can be made to work (anything can be made to work if you really want it to), but the NT is going to work best.

See this thread for pics I've got more pics as well if you need them.
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
smuzz----without opening the door to our furnace I don't know what model is used in our 06/30' Classic. Specs say it's 34000 BTU. this one appears to be easly serviced from the outside through the door. It looks like removal would be quit simple. A bigger hole in the wall but easier repairs --A concideration ???----pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:55 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Cleveland , Tennessee
Thanks for all the input. I think if no one has a anything bad to say about the SF model I am going to go with that one becasue of finding it various places for a lower cost than the rest.

Thanks Pizza Chop you have a wealth of knowledge on alot of your post.
Mike Lewis that is something I didn't think about but since I am going to build my own cabinets I can make easy access from the inside.
MoonStruck I am sorry but I can't answer your question I am sure someone else here can but it may take a picture to get an answer.

Still welcoming anyones view between different models.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Quote:
Thanks for all the input. I think if no one has a anything bad to say about the SF model I am going to go with that one becasue of finding it various places for a lower cost than the rest.
The older I become (and at 41, I have a ways to go), the more I tend to buy what I want, regardless of price. The difference is usually negligible, especially amortized over the life of the purchase. There is nothing wrong with the SF 30, but you may find that the $$ you save seem less and less significant the more modifications required for installation. Hate to sound like I've been there, done that, but sometimes I do anyway.

I'm just wrapping up a '73 Sovereign and it's been a stem to stern endeavor, 2 years in the making. While I have tried to save money where possible, I try to keep in mind that I'll be happier in the long run when it's done right. I think the SF-30 was maybe $100 less than the NT-30 from Palomino. I'm not saying I wouldn't grab a $100 bill if it was on the ground, but after installing two NT-30s (which require some small modifications), I sure wouldn't reconfigure my entire galley unit just to save that $100.

I'll rally with you no matter what furnace you choose, but I think you'll be happier in the long run if you go with the NT series. (Palomino first sent me an SF-30 really cheap, but I could not figure how I could make it work without MAJOR modifications, and even then, I was unsure of how to line up the exhaust/intake. I traded it to a local RV Supply for credit.)

Okay, I will say it....been there, done that!

'Nuff said!

PizzaChop photos
Old 04-25-2007, 09:31 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Cleveland , Tennessee
Thanks Pizza Chop. Can I pick your brain just a little more; I am going to totally rearrange the interior of my trailer, I can't think of on interior piece right now that will be in the same location, or for that matter even used. The side of my trailer that the exhaust vent comes through on is scuffed for a foot or two so I am going to replace that entire outside panel so I don't have to make a patch for different exhaust locations. In my current plan my furnace is migrating to the other side of the trailer. I am still working on my floor plans in auto-cad right now. It really have to decide on applainces first so my plans which I know will change when I run into problems. I have no problems spending twice the money for the NT that is the reason I asked this question here.

I have looked at all your pictures and read all your post I have found about the furnace(plus some more). There is no question that you are doing a more than a top rate job. I think your work is excellent.

So my big question is if you were already no matter about the furnace were going to rearrange the entire gallery and layout of the trailer. Would you still pick the NT.

If you say Yes. That is what I will go with because you know you have all ready done it two more times than me. I will gladly take any advice becasue a I ask for it don't feel bad about telling me about your experience. I am just a young kid with alot to learn.

Thanks
Old 04-26-2007, 02:11 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Sherfield English , Hampshire
Send a message via MSN to Moonstruck Send a message via Yahoo to Moonstruck
[quote=Smuzz]MoonStruck I am sorry but I can't answer your question I am sure someone else here can but it may take a picture to get an answer.

Thanks Smuzz!
That's ok! I had a little question and thought I'd throw it on the ring. I have every confidence that any Suburban will do the job. Having taken one apart more than once I can tell you that they fully encompass a Ford slogan, "Simple is Efficient"
Marc
Old 04-26-2007, 05:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Smuzz,

If you're going to completely rearrange your trailer, there may be no advantage at all to the NT. But realize, there is no going back once you've made that decision. (The SF will not retrofit in the current furnace location.)

I guess I've spent so much time on the underside of these things (floor, frame, axles, etc.), there hasn't been the time or energy to think of redesigning the interior layout, short of bunks and wraparound dinette. (I mean, I've got hundreds of hours without making new cabinets, re-routing ducts and plumbing, both supply, drains, and vents, etc. At some point, you start to wonder if you're really as smart as you think you are, when you see others who seem just as happy dropping $25K-$45K and are camping right away. Well, actually....when I read the quality feedback I think I'd rather do it myself.)

I'll be happy to converse with you on the pros and cons (based on my limited experience, and I do mean that) because my views have evolved somewhat. I've found that at some point, something other than fatigue sets in, and it more closely resembles loathing when you consider the amount of hours spent on a project for a reward that seems to keep moving further away. If you don't know your own limits, you might find them on this project. (And I'm not speaking to ability, but rather patience and perserverance.) At some point, you just want to go camping.

Some things just aren't worth the price, even if we can afford them.

I'm happy to assist in any way I can. The SF-30 must be a decent unit or they wouldn't put so many of them in SOBs.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:01 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Cleveland , Tennessee
Thanks for all the time. I know exactly what you are talking about on patience and perserverance. I work in a shop that customize old cars I got talked into nut and bolt restoration of a car. The owner is very pleased with the progress which is four years in the making of me doing something that I enjoy, but I have learned about two years ago that restoration is not for me. Hence I know exactly what you are talking about.

Thanks