Old 01-19-2014, 02:25 PM   #15
Maniacal Engineer
1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Very nice! You will love it. I might suggest you put some flue guard on the bottom section. It is going to burn you if you touch itů.
Thanks, this is a good idea... I fired it up for a couple hours on high this morning, and used a K-type thermocouple probe in a DVM to measure the temperatures involved as my IR hand-held laser dot gizmo simply makes things up on shiny surfaces.

The peak temperature I measured on the flue was about 275 F just above the fireplace; the area on the outside of the bend near the ceiling also approached this probably due to reduced distances between the inner and outer tubes. The front of the fireplace was 200+ near the glass window; the air blowing out with the fan on high was 180 F.

Outside, the center of the mushroom cap was 350+ F with a breeze blowing; the air intake section next to the trailer was basically at ambient.

I'll work something out so a person working at the sink doesn't brush their hand against the pipe. Anyone in front of the unit is more likely to burn themselves on the fireplace rather than the pipe.

- Bart

Bart Smaalders
Menlo Park, CA
barts is offline   Reply With Quote