Old 06-20-2006, 09:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Gilroy , California
Demonstrating why we're called Newbies-

Hi-

I posted earlier about replacing all appliances in an Airstream and realized right away that I should deal with them individually.

So....lets start with heat! Looking for suggestions for a new furnace? Heater? Fireplace? - O.K., Iím not that retarded - but Iím really new to Airstreams and trailers and really looking for help.

Checking various suppliers, a couple of possibilities struck me. Can anyone say if either of these would be a good match for a 21í GlobeTrotter?

1. DD-17DSI Ductless Heater by Suburban, replaces the Duo-Therm #661, requires a single 4-inch outside vent opening, 17,000 BTU capacity, 12 Volt DC, 2.9 amp blower, electronic ignition

2. Suburban*NT-12SE 12,000 BTUH, 12 volt DC Blower Amp Draw 2.8, 9 1/2'' H x 9 3/4'' W x 21'' D, withChrome Exterior Vent.

I also saw several suppliers pushing Olympian Wave 8 Catalytic Safety Heaters or other Catalytic heaters. These look super easy to install, but arenít catalytic heaters dangerous? Any thoughts on these?

All help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Old 06-20-2006, 10:06 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickwhite1
Hi-

I posted earlier about replacing all appliances in an Airstream and realized right away that I should deal with them individually.

So....lets start with heat! Looking for suggestions for a new furnace? Heater? Fireplace? - O.K., Iím not that retarded - but Iím really new to Airstreams and trailers and really looking for help.

Checking various suppliers, a couple of possibilities struck me. Can anyone say if either of these would be a good match for a 21í GlobeTrotter?

1. DD-17DSI Ductless Heater by Suburban, replaces the Duo-Therm #661, requires a single 4-inch outside vent opening, 17,000 BTU capacity, 12 Volt DC, 2.9 amp blower, electronic ignition

2. Suburban*NT-12SE 12,000 BTUH, 12 volt DC Blower Amp Draw 2.8, 9 1/2'' H x 9 3/4'' W x 21'' D, withChrome Exterior Vent.

I also saw several suppliers pushing Olympian Wave 8 Catalytic Safety Heaters or other Catalytic heaters. These look super easy to install, but arenít catalytic heaters dangerous? Any thoughts on these?

All help is greatly appreciated!!!!!
Ducted heat is nice, but often not necessary. You must decide first if you are going to do much winter camping. I had the furnace in my TradeWind, and did not light it even once after the initial test. A few years later I found out that it was rusted out anyways, and would have been unsafe to use. Of course that won't happen anytime soon with a brand new furnace.
Catalytic heaters can be unsafe if used improperly. They need fresh air to operate, unless you buy the platinum cat, which is vented from the outside, and even has a thermostat. This is the heater that I will buy for my 63 Overlander soon.
The cat heaters use very little, if any, electricity, and are quite efficient on propane.
I guess it really depends on your camping plans and/or habits.
Here is a user's link on the platinum cat:
http://www.geocities.com/harald_nanc...cat_heater.htm

I can't find the URl for this compny right now. will post if i find it.
Good Luck!

Old 06-20-2006, 10:55 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Does your Globetrotter have heat ducts in the floor or inside the cabinetry? Getting the NT-12SE to fit on an existing floor duct arrangement will require some sheet metal work. If you have 3" metal ducts, they are easily replaced with flexible 3" ducts or use short pieces of flexible duct to connect to existing metal ductwork. Not sure that the 12kBTU would be sufficient in cold weather. The NT-16 shouldn't be any more expensive and would provide more heat without using any more power. It would heat up quicker and run less. Of course, if you plan on warm weather-only use, use the catalytic heater. In cold weather, catalytics add to the moisture problem inside. Darol
Old 06-20-2006, 11:15 PM   #4
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Are all of your appliances bad?
You wouldn't change them just because there is something newer on the market would you? These appliances may be old but they were never used that much, A co dectector would be an inexpensive way to gain trust in a functional Suburban. Or cheaper yet, leave the dog in it over night...
Of course if you are planning a complete retrofit then I understand you looking at all new accoutrements too.
But something like changing the thermocouple is a lot less work that changing a furnace.
Example:
My Suburban kept letting the pilot go out. 10 cents worth of silicone solved that problem. 3 years later it still works good. Even in -7 degree temps while deer hunting.
Keep it fun,
Jerry
Old 06-20-2006, 11:25 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Gilroy , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls
Does your Globetrotter have heat ducts in the floor or inside the cabinetry? Getting the NT-12SE to fit on an existing floor duct arrangement will require some sheet metal work. If you have 3" metal ducts, they are easily replaced with flexible 3" ducts or use short pieces of flexible duct to connect to existing metal ductwork. Not sure that the 12kBTU would be sufficient in cold weather. The NT-16 shouldn't be any more expensive and would provide more heat without using any more power. It would heat up quicker and run less. Of course, if you plan on warm weather-only use, use the catalytic heater. In cold weather, catalytics add to the moisture problem inside. Darol
No, no ducts. Former furnace (rusted out) was a big convection guy. I'm only looking (I think) at ventless units.

Dick