Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2014, 05:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Dehumidifier Use with A/C

2014 Sport 22 FB, 13.5 Dometic A/C. A/C works fine, drain line not clogged, drips water like crazy from the drain line. My issue is the balance between indoor and outdoor temperature overnight, and the dehumidification process.

We run the A/C overnight and will wake up to an indoor temperature between 72 & 75 degrees per my little portable thermometer. Outdoor temperature will be around 80 degrees. The same thermometer also gives a humidity reading, and when we get up it is not unusual for that reading to be 80% or more humidity. My conclusion is that the outdoor temperature has dropped enough that the A/C does not have to run that much to keep the indoor temperature steady, and as a result the humidity level rises.

Would a small dehumidifier running overnight help in this regard? Should I open the roof vent a bit? Run the roof vent fan on low in addition to the A/C?

BTW, it is two adults and one 18 lb. dog sleeping inside overnight.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I would try opening your roof vent. Humidity will flow from higher to lower levels, independent of temperature.

Because the three of you exhaling all night does add humidity to the space. And the AC doesn't run much to pull out heat as the outdoor temperature cools.

Also try using the lowest setting so it runs longer at the lowest speed possible

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I've found that if I open vents while the AC is running, condensation builds up on the AC unit inside the trailer. I'm not sure why that is, but closing the vents always fixes that problem.

Are you getting condensation on the walls??
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Trailer AC unit only control temperature with a side benefit of removing humidity while they is on. You would almost have to be in a desert where humidity was very low for an AC unit to satisfy both requirements.

You have 3 bodies in a tin can exhaling vapor. You idea of a separate dehumidifier would work towards lowering the humidity. You would wan to leave the AC on so the fan circulated the air. The limiting factor there is you have to be able to get rid of the water collected.

Defiantly keep the vents closed if you are attempting to lower the humidity.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I keep the vents/windows closed while running the AC. The warmer air outside will be more humid than the cooler air inside.

For us, the exceptions are keeping a vent fan open above the shower during and for a while after we bathe. And, we run the vent fan above the range when we cook.

add edit: A dehumidifier gives off heat when it runs. The AC and dehumidifier will be competing, so your AC may not satisfy your cooling requirements when you run both. (I have a dehumidfier I use when the trailer is in storage)
Old 07-30-2014, 06:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
No wall condensation.

My thought with the dehumidifier would be to set it in the bath and run a drain hose into the shower or sink. No way it could fill the grey tank overnight.

Does anyone have a rec for a small dehumidifier?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote