Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2014, 09:09 AM   #1
65will

1969 25' Tradewind
Greenwich , New York
Cutting the hole for AC

Hello All,
I have a new Dometic Penguin A/C for my 69 Trade Wind, contacted Airstream for the location, They give 103 inches from the center of station 1. ( first rib) to the center of the fan shaft. I know the old A/C units didn't have a 14 x 14 hole. So I'm going 103 to the center of the 14 x 14. What do you think? Also how would you cut the hole? Tin Snips? I'm planing on cutting the inside panel first. I have the removeable center way in the ceiling of my trailer. Should I drop this and cut that hole with the panel down? I know the wireing runs down the center. Quite nerveous about this operation, but it has to get done!
65will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I would start your cut by using a 3 in. or so drill hole saw at the center point. This is a safe way to open the ceiling and will give you good access to look and feel around above the ceiling. You can insert a ruler and find the ribs and cross members an mark them on the ceiling before you start with the shears.

Once you have marked the cut you can work slowly towards it reaching in and checking for wires as you go. The wire should be off to one side but keep checking anyway.

Before you start cutting with the shears extend the center point of the hole saw cut up to the underside of the roof and make a mark. This will allow you to drill a small hole through the roof to center the roof cut before go up on the roof.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:58 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Make sure you do not have AC power to the trailer.. just in case you snag a power line.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:13 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Anderson , Indiana
I'm getting ready to do the same install on my 66 Overlander. If you haven't already purchased any type of reinforcement for your 14x14 opening, Out of Doors Mart has put together a nice little kit with pre cut aluminum pieces to reinforce your opening. The kit has two curved and two straight pieces to keep the inner and outer skin from collapsing when you mount the inner and outer units together. In my opinion, this is a better option than using wood as some have mentioned in other posts.
Kline1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kline1966 View Post
I'm getting ready to do the same install on my 66 Overlander. If you haven't already purchased any type of reinforcement for your 14x14 opening, Out of Doors Mart has put together a nice little kit with pre cut aluminum pieces to reinforce your opening. The kit has two curved and two straight pieces to keep the inner and outer skin from collapsing when you mount the inner and outer units together. In my opinion, this is a better option than using wood as some have mentioned in other posts.
Do you have a part number or know what it is called?
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:30 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Anderson , Indiana
Part number 104408 AC. It is called Terry's AC kit. This item was not on their web site as of a couple weeks ago when I ordered it, so you will most likely have to call them.
Kline1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:37 AM   #7
65will

1969 25' Tradewind
Greenwich , New York
update

I installed the A/C last weekend. I cut the hole on the inside first, found the wire and thermostat wire, right where Airstream said they would be. I opened the breaker box in the forward end cap, and the other end of the wire was there and hooked up, except the black. I had to buy a breaker. I framed the 14 x 14 opening with wood.I cut the 2 sides with the radius in them. They were 24 inches long, and span the ribs that run length wise. I had to drill holes for the wire and drain tube. The drain tube was not there. I ran 1/2 clear plastic tube for the drain. The outer skin was brittle, I ended up useing a cut off wheel to get a nice smooth cut. When all was said and done it is in and runs fine.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Pictures??
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:47 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Do a search for my post. I did the job this past summer (or was it last summer....?) Anyway, scary stuff, but it worked out perfect. The other thing I did was go up and look at the rivet row of the ribs on the roof. Then, I draped a line down the side of the trailer, went back inside the trailer and just double checked it was where it should be. Then drilled a small hole in the inside, then squared it up. That's when I drilled the 4 holes through the roof (the 4 corners) I drilled those about 1.5 inches from the corners. Went back up to the roof and made sure the 14 x 14 was marked out with sharpie and square to all the ribs and rivet lines before finally cutting it out. I would recommend an air nibbler or shears - both you can get cheap from Harbor freight. Nibbler might be the handiest tool, but it doesn't cut straight lines very well. tin snips can be hard to use as it's thick aluminum, but i've cut plenty of areas with the tin snips.

\rob
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:13 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Auburn , Alabama
Hey guys. I'm planning on installing my AC/heat pump this weekend (dometic penguin II).

It's going into the center vent on my 67 safari. Question is: do I need to remove the 2" vertical lip that the existing vent cover sits on or can I leave it????

Haven't uncreated my unit yet so that may tell me, but I know you guys would know for sure! Thanks in advance for the help.
Tentmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:15 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Auburn , Alabama
I should add that all my interior is gutted right now. No inner skin at all. Access is easy. Thanks again!
Old 12-22-2014, 10:06 PM   #12
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
that 'lip' is probably the 'curb' we reference here a lot. It is where the fan or skylight is typically mounted. post a pic so we can be sure..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:37 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1958 17' Pacer
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tryon , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tentmaker View Post
Hey guys. I'm planning on installing my AC/heat pump this weekend (dometic penguin II).

It's going into the center vent on my 67 safari. Question is: do I need to remove the 2" vertical lip that the existing vent cover sits on or can I leave it????

Haven't uncreated my unit yet so that may tell me, but I know you guys would know for sure! Thanks in advance for the help.

I'm not sure you're ready for that yet. I may be mistaken, but doesn't the unit mount in a way where it sandwiches the inner and outer skins during the installation? You stated your inner skins are removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Jimbcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:37 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
I'm just tagging in here to follow the dialog. I just started working on our 1968 Overlander 26' and plan to install an AC unit. I'm a couple of months from that, but have been thinking about the installation location and whether the preinstalled wiring is likely aluminum (as is the rest of the alternating current system.)
Robwok, Thanks for the lead, I'll search for your posts. It looks like your install will be very similar to what I need to do.
65will, Congrats on successfully completing your install.
Tentmaker, Please keep us posted as you progress, if our Overlander goes well, I may eventually attempt the same with our Safari.

Thanks,
Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:02 AM   #15
65will

1969 25' Tradewind
Greenwich , New York
is the vent hole the right place?

Hello Tentmaker.
The placement of your A/C is imporant for ballance, and proper weight distubuation. This will affect toung weight and weight over axle. You do need your inner skin on to do your install. Airstream web page can give you the proper placement for the unit. Also in my opinion you should put braces from rib to rib for support of the unit. Are you putting the drain kit in? with your skins out is a great time to run the drain tube. Good Luck with your install.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:11 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Auburn , Alabama
65will and cwf. Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure why, but I did not get notified when you posted. If I had read your suggestions I would not have removed my middle vent today... Bummer.

Now I have the middle of the 3 vent curbs removed and I was planning on putting my AC in this weekend. After reading this I changed my mind. Makes sense - I can't compress the seal without having the inner skins in.

I've attached a pic of another situation that I have. The PO had installed really nice flexible solar panels on either side of the vents. The problem is the compression gasket will overlap the panel preventing me from an ideal seal (gasket to aluminum).

Do you think slightly overlapping this gasket and sealing with trempro will suffice? If not I will have to remove both panels.

I'm attaching a pic. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1420168085.936478.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	229661

Thanks guys!!!
Old 01-01-2015, 08:37 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
You can't mount anything on top of the solar panel if you cover just a few cells it's output will be extremely low , and your better to mount a.c directly gasket to aluminum .

Don
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:18 PM   #18

Currently Looking...
Bulverde , Texas
Cutting a Hole for an AC

Hello,
I realize this thread is a few years old but I am about to embark on the same project. Removing the old AC from a 1968 Sovereign and installing a new Dometic Penguin low profile. My question is about placement. Is there a specific location the the 14X14 hole should be cut?
I plan on installing close to where the original will be coming out because of placement of the AC power coming to the AC, thermostat wires coming to the AC, and weight distribution being just in front of the axles. I just wanted to know if there was an exact measurement I should be considering. in 2014 65Will started this tread stating that Airstream told him to go 103 inches fro the center of station 1 to the center of the 14 x 14. His Airstream is a different model and I called Airstream and was told they only have information back to 1989. So I am asking all of you for help.
Thank you very much for any information.
Kookie-monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:40 AM   #19
65will

1969 25' Tradewind
Greenwich , New York
kooki-monster A/C

Hello, you don't seem to be getting a response, If you already have a A/C unit I would put it where you remove the old one. I know it has been some years, but airstream had the(vin) specific information for my unit. I emailed tec department and then contacted them. for the information. You will need to brace for the unit, your old one should have it already if not out of doors mart sells a kit. I made mine of wood. Worked fine. Good luck with your install.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:36 AM   #20

Currently Looking...
Bulverde , Texas
65Will,
Thank you for the reply. This weekend I removed the old AC which did not have a 14X14 hole configuration. It was original and had two round holes cut. One for the fan shaft which is about 3/4" and one for the line set and power which is about 2 1/2". The shaft hole is right the middle of the roof. The line set is off to the side and partially outside of a 14X14 hole that I need to cut. The tricky part is there is a structual rib between them. I had to make a choice of placing the 14X14 hole on one side of the rib or the other. I chose in front of the rib since this is closer to the middle of the camper. Bad choice!! There where a slue of wire there. I used a cutting wheel so damage was minimal. I nicked two heavy copper wires (I'm not sure what those feed) and cut through a 12V wire. I managed to miss all the aluminum romex wires. I taped up the heavy wires and can easily fix the 12v wires (I'm assuming they are 12V because there are so small. Same size as my thermostat wires, unless they are the heat thermostat wires but they are on the wrong side of the camper for that). The biggest issue now is I have a 14X14 hole with about 8 wires running across it. I have to figure out how to install a support that has space for those wire so I can sandwich everything together.
In hindsight, I should have gone on the rear side of the rib, of course I don't know what is under that area.
Kookie-monst is offline   Reply With Quote