Old 09-04-2009, 05:19 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1979 30' Argosy
saint augustine , Florida
Rivet cool, but not cold nuff'

the temperature has been in the triple digits here in central CA (better than rain) but my single dometic a/c in the bedroom of my (newtome) 79 argosy is not keeping the front room cool enough. i've tried fans , less clothes, but i gotta break down and install another one. my question concerns a new install. the folds at CW can install a dometic, while the folks at Toscano (airstream) say that the airstream needs a "special" pan due to the shape (round yehaa) does this make things more difficult. should i get i installed for much more money at a aristream dealer, or is this a job for any RV service joint. OR, can i do it myself. thank you all, i love the post. this is my first thread.

happypill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, first thing I would do is see if your air conditioner is working correctly or not. Mine goes down to 40 degrees at the registers. Next do you need to block off some of the windows? Or pull out awnings Etc. Replacing an A/C on an SOB isn't the same doing one on an Airstream, so Camping World might be out of the question. Can you do it your self? Only you can answer that question. Are you mechanical? Can you do simple electronics? Can you manage to lift about 100 lbs onto the roof of your trailer? Maybe paying an Airstream dealer more money to have it done right would be the cheapest way.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
I have found that I can usually find repairs cheaper at a local RV place.

I always opt for a professional installation from an experienced Airstream Dealer or Service Center. They know Airstreams and do a better job in my opinion.
LLB21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
1982 34' Limited
1975 31' Sovereign
Grovetown , Georgia
In full sun my 2 units with all awnings all the around and three rug rats going in and out can't keep up in the hundreds.

I set a mister head sprinkler on top to cool the condenser coils and the roof.
"Humans get a lot done,not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." Flash Rosenburg

"Decaffinated coffee is the devil's blend."
GO Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:21 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
1990 34' Excella
1990 29' Land Yacht
Vintage Kin Owner
Americus , Also Valrico, Fl
Under those extreme temperature conditions I'd recommend adding one of those free standing a/c units like Lowes etc. carry. U would need to vent it outside and not take it with U when not so hot. I believe there is a 12K btu model available.
Jim & Mitzi is offline   Reply With Quote