Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2017, 07:17 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlores View Post
Being that the noise level of the Cool Cat and the traditional roof top unit are similar, the Mini Split should be the preferred choice. I have been doing some reading on people's installations, due to variations in humidity, any unit will condensate on the inside. Saw a video of a guy with a Cool Cat type installation battling condensation leaks ruining his wooden walls. He suggested a drip pan and a drain as a solution. May as well have a hole in the bottom for a Mini Split if it is true that they all will create condensation at some point.
David, I agree that the mini split makes more sense due to the efficiency and decibel level. I like the idea Protagonist had on the hinged panels for the bottom intake and the side exhaust. I want to try and keep the bottom air intake space outward of the main frame member and within the outrigger spacing. Otherwise I’ll be encroaching on one of the gray water tanks in the belly pan. I also thought about using 65CV and Toasties approach with a fan for forced air for the intake. I think I would have to figure out a way to wire the fan to the condenser fan motor so they would both operate together when the condenser kicks on. I plan on mock ups and building this thing in my head before tearing into the belly pan. Why don’t we install one in yours before we do mine? Thanks for the suggestions. Bubba
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:55 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Quiet

In my opinion, the single biggest advantage of the mini split is the very low decibel output. I have had people ask me to turn it on so they can hear it run and I told them "it is already on":-)
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:23 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiTex View Post
In my opinion, the single biggest advantage of the mini split is the very low decibel output. I have had people ask me to turn it on so they can hear it run and I told them "it is already on":-)
Chris, you think the concept we’re looking at will work? Thanks, Bubba
Old 12-14-2017, 09:18 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba L View Post
Chris, you think the concept we’re looking at will work? Thanks, Bubba
Mine have always been mounted on the tongue so I am not sure how well it will work in an enclosure. Presumably as long as you provide the required clearance and airflow it should work. My initial concern was that these units are meant to be stationary rather than bouncing down the highway but so far I have seen no adverse effects due to vibration/acceleration. Mine have been to the Grand Canyon and back and still function as intended.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:55 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
I guess I'm showing my age here, but here goes...

The first thread I remember about mini-splits was from BoatDoc -- he may be a great resource for determining longevity.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:33 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
I guess I'm showing my age here, but here goes...

The first thread I remember about mini-splits was from BoatDoc -- he may be a great resource for determining longevity.
Thanks for the tip. I’ve started reading his threads. I may be grasping at straws trying to conceal a mini split condenser, but until an HVAC engineer tells me i’m too far out in left field, I’ll keep researching. I’ve thought about flexible hydraulic hoses for the high and low pressure lines at the condenser so it can be slid to the outside for more air circulation. But someone told me the mini split pressure is too high. We’ll see. Thanks again for the lead. Happy Holidays. Bubba
Old 12-21-2017, 08:04 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
You will have to use hoses and fitting that are rated for Freon. Freon molecules are much smaller then hydraulic and a hose rated for hydraulic fluid will leak with Freon. Hoses and fittings rated for Freon are readily available
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:31 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
You will have to use hoses and fitting that are rated for Freon. Freon molecules are much smaller then hydraulic and a hose rated for hydraulic fluid will leak with Freon. Hoses and fittings rated for Freon are readily available
Thanks for the information. My thoughts were to create a flexible hydraulic connector hose “loop” like on the bucket of a John Deere tractor for movement. When the condenser is slid to the outer edge of the shell on tracks, the hose loop would give slack for condenser movement while the copper lines remain stable. Are the freon hoses you’re referring to used on aircraft? Thanks again and Happy Holidays. Bubba
(We’re still planning on passing thru Denver on the way to Estes Park in May.)
Old 12-21-2017, 10:36 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
They are not specific to aircraft, but the aircraft type have to be FAA PMA certified which makes them more expensive. Your local HVAC company should be able to help you out.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:33 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
We like the noise our rooftop unit makes to cover up noisy neighbors with barking dogs, loud music, and TV blaring.

Perry

Quote:
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 09:47 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
We like the noise our rooftop unit makes to cover up noisy neighbors with barking dogs, loud music, and TV blaring.

Perry

Perry114

That’s looking on the bright side of a loud a/c system. I will take a quiet system and hope to have quiet neighbors so we can enjoy the time that we have outside also.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:18 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I thought those mini-split systems already had flexible tubing to the condenser?

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba L View Post
Thanks for the information. My thoughts were to create a flexible hydraulic connector hose “loop” like on the bucket of a John Deere tractor for movement. When the condenser is slid to the outer edge of the shell on tracks, the hose loop would give slack for condenser movement while the copper lines remain stable. Are the freon hoses you’re referring to used on aircraft? Thanks again and Happy Holidays. Bubba
(We’re still planning on passing thru Denver on the way to Estes Park in May.)
Old 12-24-2017, 08:06 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I thought those mini-split systems already had flexible tubing to the condenser?

Perry
From what I understand, there are two copper lines connected to the condenser and the air handler. I think they are different sizes. One for the high pressure and one for the low. The electrical and condensate are flexible. After the holidays I’ll research what Aerowood was saying about flexible Freon lines. Happy Christmas Eve. Thanks, Bubba
Old 12-25-2017, 11:09 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Mine came with rigid copper lines (two sizes, high and low pressure). They can handle gentle bends but not tight radii. I used them for my first installation but the second time I purchased jacketed flex lines instead in order to make 90 degrees turns.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:10 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170427_193830.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	301423
Old 12-25-2017, 12:05 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Mine came with rigid copper lines (two sizes, high and low pressure). They can handle gentle bends but not tight radii. I used them for my first installation but the second time I purchased jacketed flex lines instead in order to make 90 degrees turns.
So if the flex lines were a couple of feet long laying horizontally and there was room for the lines to move, then the condenser may be able to slide laterally, say 8”? Did you order the jacketed flex lines with the unit or from a different manufacturer? Thanks, Bubba
Old 12-25-2017, 12:14 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
mcmaster.com has flex hoses for coolant.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#5308k6/=1au9u2p

There are others there as well. Just look up flex hoses and drill down to coolant hoses. I assume coolant includes Freon and the alternatives for it.

Perry
Old 12-25-2017, 12:25 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Concealing a Mini Split AC

Coolant may be talking Radiator (automotive) type coolant, i.e. water with some form of antifreeze in it.

Freon hoses are very different and depend on what kind of Freon you are using. Liner is different for Freon 12 or Freon 134a, etc. Be careful, because some A/C home units run really high pressures. Consult an expert....
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 05:34 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
I used these:
https://www.rectorseal.com/rectorsea...ine-connector/
Old 12-25-2017, 05:53 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Those are surely designed for refrigerant service. How well do they stand up to movement?
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote