Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2017, 06:10 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
If you are only moving a few inches you can make a pig tail out of stainless steel tubing.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:12 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
So far so good

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Those are surely designed for refrigerant service. How well do they stand up to movement?
They have performed well so far in limited use but I imagine they are more tolerant than the rigid copper in any case. My previous install with rigid tubing made two cross country trips without incident.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:50 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiTex View Post
They have performed well so far in limited use but I imagine they are more tolerant than the rigid copper in any case. My previous install with rigid tubing made two cross country trips without incident.

BambiTex

Looks like a great solution as they come in 3’ and 6’ lengths. Did you couple them together? How long from the compressor to the air handler? What size is your heat pump?

Thanks, Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:53 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
All good points. Originally I considered the air intake through the belly pan with a louvered door on the street side and the condenser stationary. After reading some of the points given, I'm now thinking about a slide out condenser. My thoughts are;
- constructing an interior insulated cabinet to match the interior mill work
- eliminating the bottom air intake
- cutting in a framed exterior street side opening with a top hinge per Protagonist
- installing the condenser on a slide out 1/4" aluminium plate with isolators
- the plate will be on 100# rated side mounted slides
- the condenser will have three foot flexible 410 Freon hoses that would allow the condenser to move horizontally approximately 10"
- the hoses will be installed in the wall passing through grommets 6' up to the air handler
- the air handler will be in a fabricated head locker with a door that opens when the unit is operating and closed when it's not

There is only one place the condenser can be located without modifying a rib (bow) and that is under the forward street side window. Before purchasing anything related to the split AC, I will keep working through the parts, pieces, and installation so I don't have any doubts.
Thanks again for the discussion. Bubba
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:41 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Barely long enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
BambiTex

Looks like a great solution as they come in 3’ and 6’ lengths. Did you couple them together? How long from the compressor to the air handler? What size is your heat pump?

Thanks, Dan
My units are almost exactly 6 feet apart. Longest flex line just reached so no need to couple them together. They connect to short stubs of rigid pipe on the back of the air handler and directly to threaded fittings on the compressor. 12,0000 BTU (largest 120 volt unit available).
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:16 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1954 22' Flying Cloud
columbus , Ohio
a/v and heat

Check out my posts on installing a self contained a/c and heat system under the curbside rear bunk in my 1951 FC, it works so well that I have installed the same system in mr 1954WT. Distributes air throughout the trailer and super quiet.
finn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:44 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by finn21 View Post
Check out my posts on installing a self contained a/c and heat system under the curbside rear bunk in my 1951 FC, it works so well that I have installed the same system in mr 1954WT. Distributes air throughout the trailer and super quiet.
Thanks for the information. I did read through your threads and that unit sounds promising. I’m going to find some specs on the unit and see if they give info on the Dbl Level. It sure would be more conceiled than a mini split with the condenser in a custom inside cabinet. The research will give me an excuse to stay indoors this weekend. Thanks, Bubba
Old 12-30-2017, 05:25 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
finn21, not sure if Dometic still makes that unit. In researching, we’ve yet to find that particular unit. I would appreciate a link or whatever current info you could give me. Thanks, Bubba