Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2007, 10:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Coleman Mach III gasket

I pre ordered the a/c gaskets for our 84 310 mh so I would have everything set to go when I started the job. Well, got everything disconnected, got up on the roof and lifed the condenser unit and braced it so it wouldn't go anywhere. Cleaned up the mess that was up there and went to install the gasket only to find out the Mach III needs a gasket with a 14-1/2" opening. Needless to say the opening size really surprised me

I went ahead and cut the new gasket to fit figuring it was still better than the one originally installed. That one had three 3" sections missing.

Anyone know where I can find an a/c gasket with a 14-1/2" opening?

Thanks,

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Try giving these folks a call. Their an old time Coleman repair place and may be able to guide you. Darmar HVAC - 740-345-6639.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
Try giving these folks a call. Their an old time Coleman repair place and may be able to guide you. Darmar HVAC - 740-345-6639.
Gary, thanks for the tip

I'll give them a call monday morning.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 06-24-2007, 07:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Brad,

You should also consider Tweedy's in Little Rock, (501) 835-1464. They carry Coleman stuff from way back. I found a receipt from them in the back of a cabinet in my 67 that I bought in Texas. They should be able to help you. They are located on Highway 67 North just south of the Kiehl Avenue exit in Sherwood. You can take the Landers Road exit and drive north because the Kiehl exit has construction and heavy traffie. The last time I was at Tweedy's, getting a thermostat for the Coleman in my Excella, they were building a new exit between the two exits that comes onto Landers Road just at Tweedy's. I may be open now.

Vaughan

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
Hi Brad,

You should also consider Tweedy's in Little Rock, (501) 835-1464. They carry Coleman stuff from way back. I found a receipt from them in the back of a cabinet in my 67 that I bought in Texas. They should be able to help you. They are located on Highway 67 North just south of the Kiehl Avenue exit in Sherwood. You can take the Landers Road exit and drive north because the Kiehl exit has construction and heavy traffie. The last time I was at Tweedy's, getting a thermostat for the Coleman in my Excella, they were building a new exit between the two exits that comes onto Landers Road just at Tweedy's. I may be open now.
Vaughan
Vaughan, thanks for the tip. I've seen an RV place along that stretch but didn't think much of it. Since they are closer I'll give them a call monday and see whats available. If they don't have it I'll try the place Gary referred me to.

Thanks!

Brad
Old 06-25-2007, 08:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Tweedy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler
Vaughan, thanks for the tip. I've seen an RV place along that stretch but didn't think much of it. Since they are closer I'll give them a call monday and see whats available. If they don't have it I'll try the place Gary referred me to.

Thanks!

Brad
Hi again Brad,

Tweedy's is not the RV place you saw. Tweedy's only stocks repair parts and are a great resource. They are on the east side of the highway located in a dingy old quonset hut. They do have just about everything for RVs, though. The staff is knowlegable and friendly.

Vaughan
Old 06-29-2007, 02:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Update

Hi Brad,

Did Tweedy's have what you needed? I had to go there today at lunch, so I thought about you. The selector switch on my Coleman went down last night. Managed to get it to run till about 1:00, so it wasn't too bad. I'm getting ready to go home and install the new switch now.

Vaughan
Old 06-29-2007, 07:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Hi Brad,

Did Tweedy's have what you needed? I had to go there today at lunch, so I thought about you. The selector switch on my Coleman went down last night. Managed to get it to run till about 1:00, so it wasn't too bad. I'm getting ready to go home and install the new switch now.

Vaughan
I had kind of a weird experience dealing with them. I called and asked for a gasket for the a coleman mach 3 and gave the model number 6759 and mentioned that it needed to be 14-3/4" square. He told me, NOPE you need a 14" gasket. I said I measured the opening and it was 14-3/4" across it and thats the size the old gasket was. In no uncertain terms he told me that coleman only used 14x14 or 14x16 gaskets. I said that it measured 14-3/4" square and that the 14" gasket that I had in my hands didn't fit. At that point he got rather indignant and said again that coleman only used those two sizes. I couldn't get him to check the parts listing to see if they listed anything different.

So I thanked him and called an RV outlet in Houston who took the 6759 number and said they had a gasket kit in stock. So I ordered it. We'll see next week I hope as to whether its a 14x14" or something else.

I guess I just came across wrong to the guy but he sure didn't want to try too hard to help.

Doesn't mean I won't use them for parts whe I need them.

By the way, have you figured out how to install a second a/c unit yet?

Brad
Old 06-30-2007, 10:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Tweedy's

Quote:
I had kind of a weird experience dealing with them. I called and asked for a gasket for the a coleman mach 3 and gave the model number 6759 and mentioned that it needed to be 14-3/4" square. He told me, NOPE you need a 14" gasket. I said I measured the opening and it was 14-3/4" across it and thats the size the old gasket was. In no uncertain terms he told me that coleman only used 14x14 or 14x16 gaskets. I said that it measured 14-3/4" square and that the 14" gasket that I had in my hands didn't fit. At that point he got rather indignant and said again that coleman only used those two sizes. I couldn't get him to check the parts listing to see if they listed anything different.

So I thanked him and called an RV outlet in Houston who took the 6759 number and said they had a gasket kit in stock. So I ordered it. We'll see next week I hope as to whether its a 14x14" or something else.

I guess I just came across wrong to the guy but he sure didn't want to try too hard to help.

Doesn't mean I won't use them for parts whe I need them.

By the way, have you figured out how to install a second a/c unit yet?

Brad
Sorry Brad,

I have usually dealt with them face to face. They have always been pleasant to me. By the way some stuff has been put in my trailers, there is the possibility that both you and he are correct. 14-3/4 square may be a Jackson Center 14" square

Right now I think I am going to replace the 24 year old 13,500 Coleman with a 15,000 Carrier heat pump and see how it works. Heck, after the recent remods, it will take me a couple of pay periods to scrape up enough spare cash to to that. If I still need to add a second unit, the best advice seems to add a second 30 amp system rather than going to the trouble to upgrade to 50 amps. Greater flexibility

Vaughan
Old 07-01-2007, 01:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Sorry Brad,

I have usually dealt with them face to face. They have always been pleasant to me. By the way some stuff has been put in my trailers, there is the possibility that both you and he are correct. 14-3/4 square may be a Jackson Center 14" square

Right now I think I am going to replace the 24 year old 13,500 Coleman with a 15,000 Carrier heat pump and see how it works. Heck, after the recent remods, it will take me a couple of pay periods to scrape up enough spare cash to to that. If I still need to add a second unit, the best advice seems to add a second 30 amp system rather than going to the trouble to upgrade to 50 amps. Greater flexibility

Vaughan
Vaughan,

I would think adding a second 20 amp circuit would be the better choice. You're only going to be running a second A/C unit from it, right?

From where I work (Pine Bluff Arsenal) its hard to get any where before closing time for most businesses, which is why calling is usually my first and best option. After I get the parts from the RV store in Texas I'll open up the rear unit and lay a tape measure across it and then take a picture. I'm just hoping the replacement gasket is the right one.

I sure wish we could afford to replace the A/C units but with having to replace the rear air bags, front steering components, new shocks all round, new tires, new stove and a slew of other things, its hard to justify replacing working A/C units Probably some day.

Brad
Old 07-01-2007, 04:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet

Quote:
Vaughan,

I would think adding a second 20 amp circuit would be the better choice. You're only going to be running a second A/C unit from it, right?

From where I work (Pine Bluff Arsenal) its hard to get any where before closing time for most businesses, which is why calling is usually my first and best option. After I get the parts from the RV store in Texas I'll open up the rear unit and lay a tape measure across it and then take a picture. I'm just hoping the replacement gasket is the right one.

I sure wish we could afford to replace the A/C units but with having to replace the rear air bags, front steering components, new shocks all round, new tires, new stove and a slew of other things, its hard to justify replacing working A/C units Probably some day.

Brad
Hi Brad,

I certainly understand about the budget restrictions! I would like to upgrade my AC this week, but it’s not going to happen. Andy at Inland RV and genearnold advised the same thing, the 30 amp upgrade. According to Gene:
Quote:
Originally Posted by genearnold
My '92 Limited has a separate 30 amp service for the bedroom A/C. It is not a retrofit. PO had it installed at the factory.
Besides, it would be just as simple to upgrade to 30 amps as 20. I already own an adapter to 20 amps anyway.

At least today’s rain kept things cool. I passed by Jefferson on the way to Pine Bluff this afternoon, thought about you. I was about 2:00 and the rain was moving in.

Vaughan
Old 07-01-2007, 07:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Hi Brad,

I certainly understand about the budget restrictions! I would like to upgrade my AC this week, but it’s not going to happen. Andy at Inland RV and genearnold advised the same thing, the 30 amp upgrade. According to Gene:

Besides, it would be just as simple to upgrade to 30 amps as 20. I already own an adapter to 20 amps anyway.

At least today’s rain kept things cool. I passed by Jefferson on the way to Pine Bluff this afternoon, thought about you. I was about 2:00 and the rain was moving in.

Vaughan
Good point about the 20 amp adapter. What I'm going to do on our 310 is run an extension power cable from the electrical compartment over to the generator compartment and from there up into the closet and tie into the rear air with a switch. All I'm concerned about is running both A/C units at the same time when on shore power. From the electrical compartment I'll just use an extension cord from the new cable run out to the power pole.

About 2:00 I was outside steam cleaning the generator compartment cover. It was extremely greasy because of the poor method that Kohler has for draining oil from the gensets. I bet I cleaned 5 lbs of oil grunge out of that compartment after I pulled the genset to work on it.

Brad
Old 07-03-2007, 06:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Yuck!

Quote:
About 2:00 I was outside steam cleaning the generator compartment cover. It was extremely greasy because of the poor method that Kohler has for draining oil from the gensets. I bet I cleaned 5 lbs of oil grunge out of that compartment after I pulled the genset to work on it.

Brad
I rebuilt irrigation engines for a few years in the Texas panhandle. You wouldn’t believe the buildup under them. When they got old, they would burn and leak so much oil that the farmers would hook an automatic oilier to the oil pan. Essentially a float valve hooked to a 55 gallon of oil.

Vaughan
Old 08-13-2007, 05:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Finally have an update to the gasket size dilemma.

Back when I pulled the first A/C to replace the gasket I didn't get an exact measurement of what gasket size I needed for the opening so when I went looking for the correct sized gasket I wasn't sure. I had thought it was 14-3/4". I finally found that PPL in Houston supposedly had the correct gasket based on the part number I gave them, so I ordered the part.

A couple of weeks later while still waiting for the shipment from PPL I went ahead and pulled the second A/C unit and found that the opening around the A/C unit was 14-1/4" in size. That explains why I had to cut the 14" square seal that Inland shipped me. Since I still hadn't received the gasket from PPL I went ahead and cut up the 2nd gasket I got from Inland and used it to seal the opening. The seal seems to have held since we've experienced a couple of good rainstorms.

Well today I finally received the gasket I ordered from PPL in Houston (only took them 7 weeks to deliver ). It is sold by Coleman and is supposed to be a direct replacement for the original. It measures 14-1/4" inside so its definitely the right gasket. So I'm going to order a second one and have them on hand for sometime later this fall when I replace the A/C drain pans on the roof. Besides, if I order now I might get it by the time I'm ready for it

Oh what fun.......

Bottom line is the older Coleman A/C units were larger than 14", go figure.

Brad
Old 08-13-2007, 05:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Thanks for the update Brad,

I was wondering what the final result of the gasket situation. I thought maybe you didn’t feel like talking about it anymore. I mean, it’s not like you have been doing anything lately.

Vaughan
Old 05-15-2021, 10:01 PM   #16

1985 25' Sovereign
Holly Springs , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Finally have an update to the gasket size dilemma.

Back when I pulled the first A/C to replace the gasket I didn't get an exact measurement of what gasket size I needed for the opening so when I went looking for the correct sized gasket I wasn't sure. I had thought it was 14-3/4". I finally found that PPL in Houston supposedly had the correct gasket based on the part number I gave them, so I ordered the part.

A couple of weeks later while still waiting for the shipment from PPL I went ahead and pulled the second A/C unit and found that the opening around the A/C unit was 14-1/4" in size. That explains why I had to cut the 14" square seal that Inland shipped me. Since I still hadn't received the gasket from PPL I went ahead and cut up the 2nd gasket I got from Inland and used it to seal the opening. The seal seems to have held since we've experienced a couple of good rainstorms.

Well today I finally received the gasket I ordered from PPL in Houston (only took them 7 weeks to deliver ). It is sold by Coleman and is supposed to be a direct replacement for the original. It measures 14-1/4" inside so its definitely the right gasket. So I'm going to order a second one and have them on hand for sometime later this fall when I replace the A/C drain pans on the roof. Besides, if I order now I might get it by the time I'm ready for it

Oh what fun.......

Bottom line is the older Coleman A/C units were larger than 14", go figure.

Brad
Hi Brad,
I’m reviving a bit of an old post here, but I’m thinking about replacing the gasket on our Mach III on our 1985 Sovereign - I haven’t taken it off to measure yet but I’m assuming it is a similar unit as yours (and I’m suspecting it as a source of leaks, but it’s tough to diagnose without being able to see well from the inside or outside!).

Did you ever end up having any issues with the 14 1/4” replacement gasket? And did you have to use any sealant due to the curved roof? Any other fun anecdotes from your experience?

Cheers,
Jeremy
jeremyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 12:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
Hi Brad,
I’m reviving a bit of an old post here, but I’m thinking about replacing the gasket on our Mach III on our 1985 Sovereign - I haven’t taken it off to measure yet but I’m assuming it is a similar unit as yours (and I’m suspecting it as a source of leaks, but it’s tough to diagnose without being able to see well from the inside or outside!).

Did you ever end up having any issues with the 14 1/4” replacement gasket? And did you have to use any sealant due to the curved roof? Any other fun anecdotes from your experience?

Cheers,
Jeremy
Jeremy, after replacing the gasket with the new 14 1/4" gasket the leaking problems went away. I didn't use any sealant and wouldn't suggest using any. It's actually not much of a curve at that point on the roof.

Best thing you can do is just thoroughly clean the roof area and the bottom of the air conditioner. Once that's done just set it in place and install the fasteners.

Good luck

Brad