Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Louisburg , North Carolina
Coleman Delta T A/C

My 1987 Coleman Delta T AC controls went bad and as I have found out there are no replacement parts available for the controls.
Has anyone tried using a newer inside ceiling assembly control unit that can be made to operate the outside unit?
I hate to throw away a perfectly good AC just because the control switchs are bad.
Mainstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
My older Mach 3 just uses a generic thermostat like would go on a window AC. Those parts are pretty generic and I would not be surprised if the newer units use something similar. What is wrong with the contols. There is know for the fan and one for the thermostat. Can you be more specific that is it broke?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
This unit has sealed controls and the switch is bad . It starts the fan but the compresser won't go on unless you jiggle the switch and it won't stay on. You can see the switch sparking. These switches can not be fixed or replaced because they are sealed in silcone jell and they are no longer available. I was hopeing that someone may have found a way of making some newer ceiling assemblys work to run the roof AC. because there is nothing wrong with the outside AC unit itself.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You got a photo?

Perry
Old 02-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Sorry, I don't have my camera available until about a week from now. I lent it to someone who took it on vacation with them.

I was told by a Coleman technictian that there was no longer a repair part available for that AC, but I hate to scrap a perfectly good roof unit just because the inside controls are bad and can't be replaced.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Give these guys a call:

Tweedy's Inc.
7400 Landers Road
Sherwood, AR 72117-1607
(501) 835-1464

They've been around for years and years. They may have something in stock. They can certainly give you good advice.

I have bought thermostats for two different older Coleman ACs there. From looking at the pdf manual I found online, I don't see anything that looks different from either one of mine.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf coleman_air.PDF (2.07 MB, 303 views)
Old 02-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I had a Delta T in my '87 Avion that did the same thing. Both control boards went and I couldn't get parts for it.

My dad is an electrician. We basically hot wired it. We took out both control boards and replaced with two simple toggle switches. Switch A turns the fan on and off, Switch B turns the compressor on and off. It worked for a year and a half like that before the whole thing started to diie.

You will not have thermostat control doing this; it's either On or Off. But you can keep it working this way.

Mine finally got to the point that the compressor was going out on it. At that point, I replaced it with a Carrier 15,000 btu.

But, you can surely keep the old girl working a little while longer. Just bypass all the stuff and wire it up direct switched. The biggest problem I had with it like that was sometimes in the middle of the night, if it cooled down a lot, I'd wake up and be freezing A thermostat is a nice thing....but you can at least get it going again doing like I did.

Best of luck...
Old 02-27-2012, 05:01 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
JimGolden,
Thanks for that info. I am glad to know that it worked without the circuit board. That is why I think that a ceiling assembly from some other newer model could be made to work. I will take the advice of vswingfield and call Tweedy's to see if they might have something. If I find out anything I will post it. Thanks again for everyones help. I know that there hundreds of those model Colemans from the mid 80's out there and that they will all have the same problem sooner or later.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:20 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
If you can determine which wire runs the fan and which one runs the compressor you could install a house hold thermostat that uses 12volt got the control. The purchase two ice cube relays that have 12 volt control and 120volt 20amp contacts. One would connect to the fan control and the other to the compressor. The thermostat would then control it just like a house hold Ac works.
ck21084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck21084 View Post
If you can determine which wire runs the fan and which one runs the compressor you could install a house hold thermostat that uses 12volt got the control. The purchase two ice cube relays that have 12 volt control and 120volt 20amp contacts. One would connect to the fan control and the other to the compressor. The thermostat would then control it just like a house hold Ac works.
That jogged my memory. nickcrowhurst posted details about how he did just this. Including links to wiring diagrams. See http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ace-14953.html.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Hello all, On my 1988 Excella Coleman Delta TX AC the switches are nothing more than slide switches. With some effort the switches can be replaced. I replaced the 3 position switch on mine some years back and it's still ok. A good place to search for switches is Graingers web site. On my AC one of the problems of the switches was that the slots in the cover over the switches was a tad to small and I had to really force the switches when they went to the up or down positions so I took the cover off and filed the slots a little longer so the switches didn't hit the top or bottom of the slots and that cured having to force the switches into position.
Good luck and happy camping nm1oqrz
nm1oqrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:04 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
That jogged my memory. nickcrowhurst posted details about how he did just this. Including links to wiring diagrams. See http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ace-14953.html.

Thats a great link and writeup. If you were to use a t-stat that also had the option of controlling a heat pump you could set the heat pump option to control the heat strip in the roof top unit and the function called emergency heat could control the furnace.

I now think I have a project for next weekend.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
Follow up

Just as a follow up to my prior post, I found the relay for the job.
Relays - 20 - Relays - Grainger Industrial Supply

Above is a link to a vendor that carries several models including some rated up to 40 amps @ 120volts. I am sure you can find these at a local vendor as this company tends to be expensive.

If you find a model number on this site you should be able to type it in to google and find the part much cheaper.

Chris
Old 02-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
A while back, I rigged up a thermostat for a gas fireplace using a thermostat I got from Lowe's. It was just a mechanical bimetal spring jobby but it worked fine. I am not sure what the contact currect rating was but you can always put a relay on it reguardless.

Perry
Old 02-28-2012, 05:24 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
ck21084
Thanks for that Granger link but I am not sure which one of the 8 relays listed would be the one for my application with a 12 V. system.
Any Ideas?
Old 02-28-2012, 05:47 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainstream
ck21084
Thanks for that Granger link but I am not sure which one of the 8 relays listed would be the one for my application with a 12 V. system.
Any Ideas?
Any of these would work. You would need two of them but a 5 pin model would work.